Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would the beer be affected if I went with 3 lbs rice 3 lbs corn.....sweeter or drier? Thanks.

Just tossing this out there - maybe start the brew now without hops, then get some hops on Friday, boil them in plain water and pitch them in secondary?

I think it would be easier to just brew the whole damned thing on Friday. Make the kitchen an absolute mess, and make sure you've had enough homebrew to make your speech slurred when your wife arrives home. One way or another, you'll get the freedom to brew when you want to.

OH that would go over well :)

Actually found 1oz of Willamette and brewed with that..

On day two and the yeast are going nuts. Krausen is over a 1/2" thick and the yeast are just running around like crazy :). This recipe is taking to lagering well.

I have only seen one batch go this crazy and it was an ale going at 70 degrees. Where this is running at 51 degrees, and self-generating at least 5 degrees.

I think it will be awesome.

My modified recipe and results are here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/3-crops-honey-lager-402493/

Took a SG reading today! Here are the stats:
OG: 1.048
SG (Day 12): 1.014
Attenuation: 70.8%
ABV: 4.46%

It sounds like 70% attenuation is acceptable for US-05, so I'll recheck on Day 14, rack to secondary with gelatin, then keg...

One question though, what CO2 volume are people kegging this at? This will be my first time kegging, and I'm hoping to not lose half my beer due to foam! Any recommendations on burst carbing or force carbing? I've read all the kegging stickies and I'm debating how patient I can be...

And just because we haven't had a picture in this thread in awhile:

photo8_zpsd9f3f0c9.jpg

My hydro sample smelled and tasted great! I can't wait to get it cold and carbonated!

Making this on sat but lhbs only had 1 lb of flaked corn. Do I just go with the 1 lb or is there a substitute that I can use?

Btw I scaled the recipe to 5 gal

Making this on sat but lhbs only had 1 lb of flaked corn. Do I just go with the 1 lb or is there a substitute that I can use?

Btw I scaled the recipe to 5 gal

You can use instant grits. I'm not sure if it's a 1:1 conversion though. I know its been discussed recently (within the last 5 pages). Someone else might be able to chime in...

I've done some research and it looks like it is about a 1:1 conversion with no cereal mash. LHBS also did not have any Crystal so I am substituting with Hallertaur.

I am brewing this today but ran into two problems. 1 -using 1 lb of instant grits, LHBS out of flaked corn. And instead of using American Ale Yeast or Cream Ale Yeast. Northern Brewer sent me the wrong yeast of which I didn't notice until I already mashed in, went to grab the smack pack and discovered it was American Ale II (1272) not American Ale (1056). After a quick google search I discovered several Cream Ale recipes that use this yeast. So at this point there is no turning back.

Brewed this today. I upped the OG to 1.045 on Beersmith and actually hit 1.050. Efficiency was 82.3%. Everything came out great. Really looking forward to being able to try this one.

Quick question. LHBS has crystal hops at 6.7% AA. recipe asks for 1oz 3.5%. Is it as simple as halfing the oz's to make the right AA?

idrinkstuffnthings said:
Quick question. LHBS has crystal hops at 6.7% AA. recipe asks for 1oz 3.5%. Is it as simple as halfing the oz's to make the right AA?

I think that would be close enough. Maybe .6 oz.

Has anyone done this recipe and added lemon zest or possibly some grains of paradise? I dont want to mess with the recipe too much but I'd like to add a nice light citrus note.

I will admit I did not rad all 182 pages so forgive me if this has been asked/answered.
I just did a partial mash cream ale kit last weekend. I am thinking of trying this as my second all grain brew (the first one I ordered yesterday. A chocolate rye)
Anyways, in the kit I did last weekend they included a packet of malto dextrin. Is that necessary for this to be a cream or do the grains themselves work for that mouth feel?

I will admit I did not rad all 182 pages so forgive me if this has been asked/answered.
I just did a partial mash cream ale kit last weekend. I am thinking of trying this as my second all grain brew (the first one I ordered yesterday. A chocolate rye)
Anyways, in the kit I did last weekend they included a packet of malto dextrin. Is that necessary for this to be a cream or do the grains themselves work for that mouth feel?

In all grain you can use different temp and water volumes to make more body.

Does anyone else find that this brew gives them a crazy efficiency boost?

I reviewed my notes, and last year I shot for 1.040 as designed, and hit 1.049. Today I aimed for 1.043, just to hit what BeerSmith said was "in style" for a cream ale, and I hit 1.059!

I typically hit about 72% efficiency batch sparging, but both times brewing this I've been in the neighborhood of 90%. I'm thinking the flaked corn and minute rice must be the culprits there...

I reviewed my notes, and last year I shot for 1.040 as designed, and hit 1.049. Today I aimed for 1.043, just to hit what BeerSmith said was "in style" for a cream ale, and I hit 1.059!

I typically hit about 72% efficiency batch sparging, but both times brewing this I've been in the neighborhood of 90%. I'm thinking the flaked corn and minute rice must be the culprits there...

Is it the rice and corn?

You using the original recipe? Or are you adding dextrose like the other recipes here? If you're reading post boil and adding dextrose you need to account for that in your calculations.

Okay brewed this yesterday. Went 3 lbs rice 3 lbs corn. Mashed 2 hours +. Can't wait. Will post back.

I brewed a variation of this yesterday, used 4.5lbs Marris Otter instead of 2row, 1lb corn, 5oz of rice for a 3g BIAB batch and pitced BRY-97 rehydrated.. couldnt stick to the recipe cause my HBS was out of 2row and US-05. brewday went great, it was my first BIAB attempt (I am usually an all grainer) but my mash tun was a little too much for the 3g batch. nice color but the BRY-97 has yet to start working...

That's no lie...it's like the gas station being out of gas. Is jimmy in the White House again?

My lhbs has run out of 2 row before but it was because of shipping error with their distributor. Luckily a local brewery stepped up and sold them some of their stores to keep them afloat while they figured it out.

thadius856 said:
Those are two things no LHBS should ever be out of.

Pretty sure my LHBS doesn't even HAVE dry yeasts... Just wyeast and whitelabs... Luckily there are other LHBS's that have dry variants

I brewed a variation of this yesterday, used 4.5lbs Marris Otter instead of 2row, 1lb corn, 5oz of rice for a 3g BIAB batch and pitced BRY-97 rehydrated.. couldnt stick to the recipe cause my HBS was out of 2row and US-05. brewday went great, it was my first BIAB attempt (I am usually an all grainer) but my mash tun was a little too much for the 3g batch. nice color but the BRY-97 has yet to start working...

Just found the scale tool on brewtarget and it says that the beer I brewed will be cloying.... disappointing, I allways heard that your efficiency will suffer with the BIAB technique but that wasnt the case here and I ended up with 78% instead of the 70% that I expected which gave me an OG of 1.042.. I will give this a taste once it ferments out but I expect I may need to dry hop to get my IBU's up a bit.. I've never dry hopped, anyone have any kind of calculations of sorts where I will have an idea of what and how much to get my levels up? I have about 1/2 oz of fuggle whole hops in the freezer I think..

Those are two things no LHBS should ever be out of.

HA! No joke.. Nah, this guy just opened this shop as just a beerstore a few months ago and started out with a minimal supply for homebrewing and he has been SLAMMED with all the interest in homebrewing and supplies ever since and he cant keep supplies on the shelf. He's a great guy and I'm happy as heck that he is so busy but he said he never expected it to be so crazy. He's working his butt off trying to get his orders dialed in to keep the shelves full. Way to go Nathan@Brewniverse

Just found the scale tool on brewtarget and it says that the beer I brewed will be cloying.... disappointing, I allways heard that your efficiency will suffer with the BIAB technique but that wasnt the case here and I ended up with 78% instead of the 70% that I expected which gave me an OG of 1.042.. I will give this a taste once it ferments out but I expect I may need to dry hop to get my IBU's up a bit.. I've never dry hopped, anyone have any kind of calculations of sorts where I will have an idea of what and how much to get my levels up? I have about 1/2 oz of fuggle whole hops in the freezer I think..

Dry hopping wouldn't raise your IBU's as you have to boil the hops to really get the bitterness out. However the dry hops could add some nice aroma and a little bit of flavor to help balance out the sweetness. A 1/2 oz of fuggles probably wont do much in the dry hop though, you'll probably want a few oz's.

Bumping this hoping for an answer.

In my experience its best to go easy on the spices. Subtle is always better than obvious when it comes to spices in beer imho. A little goes a long way (especially in a lighter beer). The spices should complement not dominate the flavor. Add a little the first time around and adjust based on your results. Too much spice can easily make a beer undrinkable but too little will probably not hurt it.

I did BIAB and my efficiency seemed really high.. I also double crushed the Malt.

That said.. I have a LOT of trub in the fermenter.. and in suspension. So I might not do that next time.

WhiteDog87 said:
In my experience its best to go easy on the spices. Subtle is always better than obvious when it comes to spices in beer imho. A little goes a long way (especially in a lighter beer). The spices should complement not dominate the flavor. Add a little the first time around and adjust based on your results. Too much spice can easily make a beer undrinkable but too little will probably not hurt it.

This was my plan I was just hoping someone may have done it and have some insight. At the moment I'm leaning toward .5-1oz of lemon zest at the end of the boil.

I did BIAB and my efficiency seemed really high.. I also double crushed the Malt.

That said.. I have a LOT of trub in the fermenter.. and in suspension. So I might not do that next time.

You should try whirlpooling. I added a ball valve and started whirlpooling for my last few batches and it works great.

Back