In a bit of a bind - fixing a lower than expected gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nufad

Reaction score
I brewed an ESB two days ago, and the gravity was significantly lower than I expected (1.052 vs. 1.060). Given the IBUs were on the high side of style (50), I was worried that the beer would turn out too bitter. It dawned on my today that I could increase the gravity without adding IBUs by boiling some DME in a small volume of water to achieve a gravity around 1.100. After cooling, I'd add this to the fermenter, now at the peak of primary fermentation, and boost the gravity closer to target. I know this is a method used to brew big beers, but would any of you recommend this for my case? I plan on doing this tonight, so any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

There's an easier way.

Boil until you hit your desired pre-boil gravity. Then start the timer and hop as normal. You get slightly less beer, but thats easier and cheaper than DME.

DME could work, but its a pain to work with near steam and youd have to get the proportion just right.

Latest posts

Back