Problem building DIY stirplate (CPU fan and cell phone chargers)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrongBad42

Reaction score
I have hooked up a CPU fan to a few cell phone chargers and it looks like the fan wants to work, but all it does is pulse a little bit and not actually turn. I've tried several different chargers and have gotten the same result with each. And yes, I have hooked positive (red) wires to positive (red) wires, and negative (black) wires to negative (black) wires. There is a third white wire on my fan, but I believe that is just a speed control and doesn't really affect power going to the fan. Any thoughts? Is the fan just no good?

What is the voltage on the cell charger? I had a similar problem and that is what the issue was. I ended up getting a adujastable one from Radio Shack. That was driven by the fact I could not dial my setup in enough to work on my 2000ml flask. Would work on my buddies 1000ml though. Once I got the adjustable one I could get the right combo with the adapter and dial thing.

Also is it doing it with the magnet already on there or is it just the fan?

About to make your life alot easier...made my stirplate with it and it works great.

Thermaltake Mobilefan II External USB Cooling Fan P/N: A1888

Drake9: I've tried 4.5, 5, and 6v chargers. Its a 12v fan. JBOGAN: I am checking that out for sure. Found one for $14 with no shipping.

About to make your life alot easier...made my stirplate with it and it works great.

Thermaltake Mobilefan II External USB Cooling Fan P/N: A1888

I just googled that. It brought me to amazon. In the "frequently bought together" section: erlenmeyer flasks and stir bars.

Back