Cream Ale Fizzy Yellow Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried using Citra as a very late edition or dry hop?

I made an all Citra version of this beer a few months ago, gone now! The Citra worked well, just don't over do it. I used a TOTAL of 1 oz of Citra with wyeast 1056 fermented at the low end, 62*. Came out great. Try it, you'll like it!:ban:

I'd like to give this recipe a try, but I'm a relative newcomer and don't yet have the ability to lower my fermenting temp below the dark cold cellar temp. Would it be possible to ferment this at 67 degrees? Should I change up the yeast?

I'd like to give this recipe a try, but I'm a relative newcomer and don't yet have the ability to lower my fermenting temp below the dark cold cellar temp. Would it be possible to ferment this at 67 degrees? Should I change up the yeast?

It may work fine. I just never ferment any of my ales above about 65-69 degrees (beer temperature, not ambient which is much cooler) so I just don't know for sure.

Yooper said:
It may work fine. I just never ferment any of my ales above about 65-69 degrees (beer temperature, not ambient which is much cooler) so I just don't know for sure.

Is there a rule of thumb for differential between fermentation chamber temp and ambient room temp?

Is there a rule of thumb for differential between fermentation chamber temp and ambient room temp?

I have found that it can be about 6 degrees, but there can be a lot of variables. Batch size, how vigorous the ferment is, yeast, etc...

I will be brewing this tomorrow. I am going to start using RO water and adding calcium carbonate and lactic acid.

Using the EZ water spreadsheet, if I add 4 grams of calcium carbonate to the mash it will bring the total calcium up to 34 and if I add 1ml of lactic acid it will bring the pH of the mash down to 5.47. 4 grams seems like a lot but anything less won't add enough calcium.

What do you recommend I do?

I will be brewing this tomorrow. I am going to start using RO water and adding calcium carbonate and lactic acid.

Using the EZ water spreadsheet, if I add 4 grams of calcium carbonate to the mash it will bring the total calcium up to 34 and if I add 1ml of lactic acid it will bring the pH of the mash down to 5.47. 4 grams seems like a lot but anything less won't add enough calcium.

I have been using ro/di water for my last serveral brews and put in 4 grams of calcium and 4 oz acid malt.
I have been brewing light lagers and kolschs, so this recipe is similar... light ale.
My beers have been turning out great and no issues with clearing up.
I would do the same for this recipe.

thanks Kevin

Great thanks. I will add 4 grams of the calcium and probably 2 mL of lactic acid to the mash.

I just saw this. Defintely NO calcium carbonate, ever, in the mash.

You can use calcium chloride to bring up the calcium, and it will increase the chloride a bit as well. But keep calcium carbonate (chalk) far, far away!

I just saw this. Defintely NO calcium carbonate, ever, in the mash.

You can use calcium chloride to bring up the calcium, and it will increase the chloride a bit as well. But keep calcium carbonate (chalk) far, far away!

Damn, I knew I bought the wrong thing. My LHBS usually doesn't have calcium chloride on the shelves (have to ask for it, not sure why) and when I saw calcium on the bag I grabbed it and bought it. Definitely bought calcium carbonate. Good thing you caught that because I would have used it.

So now what are my options? My LHBS doesn't open until 3pm tomorrow. I wanted to brew at 10am. Am I SOL?

Damn, I knew I bought the wrong thing. My LHBS usually doesn't have calcium chloride on the shelves (have to ask for it, not sure why) and when I say calcium on the bag I grabbed it and bought it. Definitely bought calcium carbonate. Good thing you caught that because I would have used it.

So now what are my options? My LHBS doesn't open until 3pm tomorrow. I wanted to brew at 10am. Am I SOL?

Well, I can't think of anything else to bring up your calcium except for gypsum, and that wouldn't be right as you don't want to increase your sulfate in this beer.

Plain ol RO water will just have to do, I guess. It won't be bad, and it'll work, but ideally you'd have a teaspoon of CaCl2 (calcium chloride) in it. don't use the lactic acid, as you may not need it.

Well, I can't think of anything else to bring up your calcium except for gypsum, and that wouldn't be right as you don't want to increase your sulfate in this beer.

Plain ol RO water will just have to do, I guess. It won't be bad, and it'll work, but ideally you'd have a teaspoon of CaCl2 (calcium chloride) in it. don't use the lactic acid, as you may not need it.

Gypsum was my next question. And I don't have a pH meter to check the mash.

So maybe it would be better to hold off on this until I can get the CaCl2.

Gypsum was my next question. And I don't have a pH meter to check the mash.

So maybe it would be better to hold off on this until I can get the CaCl2.

I would go ahead and brew with the RO water. The calcium would be a little low, but I brew pilsners with straight RO water and they are great that way. Ideally, you'd have 40ppm of calcium, but if you aerate well and pitch the proper amount of yeast you shouldn't have any fermentation issues.

I would go ahead and brew with the RO water. The calcium would be a little low, but I brew pilsners with straight RO water and they are great that way. Ideally, you'd have 40ppm of calcium, but if you aerate well and pitch the proper amount of yeast you shouldn't have any fermentation issues.

I also have Wyeast yeast nutrient which I assume has a small amount of calcium.

I may use this as an experiment. I think tomorrow I will brew with RO (actually I had to get distilled water because the two places I went to didn't have RO) and yeast nutrient. Next week I will use distilled water, yeast nutrient and CaCl2 to see if I can taste a difference. This beer is light enough for different taste/flavors to come through. I may actually do a third batch with my tap water to see how that compares.

I ended up brewing this Friday afternoon. No calcium but I did buy a pH meter. I added the yeast nutrient and shook the bucket for a good 5 minutes. I think fermentation is going well. Next batch will be with calcium.

Brewing a version of this today. Football season coming up, need an easy drinking beer on tap. Going about 50/40/10 pilsner/vienna/wheat.

I made a similar beer not long ago (before I found this thread) using Saphir hops for my late additions. For those of you who like this beer, I highly recommend given them a shot. Today I am using a split of Opal and Saphir for the late additions.

Brewed this up today. My final OG was 1.051. Kegged a beer that I had used Danstar Nottingham for, and threw this right on top of that fresh yeast cake. Already starting to bubble not a half hour after pitching....expecting this one to be very clean with the full yeast cake and fermenting at 61-62 degrees...will let you know how it turns out!

I brewed this up a few weeks ago for an annual beer bash I throw. The party went down last night and this one was the absolute crowd favorite. Thanks, Yooper!

I ripped this one out last week. Nice cold Nova Scotia weather meant that temp control was achieved naturally. Smells pretty good. I ALWAYS use Nottingham on light ales and it clears like a boss.

I ripped this one out last week. Nice cold Nova Scotia weather meant that temp control was achieved naturally. Smells pretty good. I ALWAYS use Nottingham on light ales and it clears like a boss.

Just pulled my first pint of this one to "product control test" before bottling for Christmas. Damn! It drinks like a crisp Pilsner. I used Galena and Spalt Select with Notty at 16 degrees Celsius and "lagered" for a month. Will be a house beer in the new keezer.
ViennaAle_zps7e0a6a51.jpg

:ban:

My LHBS doesn't carry UK 2 row, he says that is just Maris Otter and I don't know the difference, we'll see. Also, he only sells 1lb bags of Vienna, so I'm brewing tomorrow with:

5lbs Maris Otter
5lbs Vienna.

Went with Nottingham, as I have not used this yeast yet, plus with the Maris Otter.... Should be interesting. Looking forward to this.

Thanks for this recipe (and the original)!!

6 pounds 2 row
1/4 pound 10 l crystal
14 ibu Saaz
American lager yeast

can't get any yellower or fizzy than that and my friends drink it almost faster than I can brew it.

I haven't but was thinking of doing the same. Love 1007 for pseudo larger

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

new brewer here with only extract experience (steeping grains too). Anyone have an extract version of this recipe so i can make it?

Sounds like a great recipe to have on hand for the BMC crowd. I bought the ingredients for this today to (hopefully) brew this weekend. Only change was to add 4oz of acidulated malt for mash ph adjustment. Can't wait to try this.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

What about steeping grain them then?

Well, if you can steep grains you can mash. Mashing is just steeping, except you're paying closer attention to the temperature. Just use a grain bag, hold it at temperature for an hour, and remove it.

I brew-in-a-bag, so I squeeze my grain bag to get all those sugars out, and you might benefit from squeezing as well.

i'm not a regular poster here although i have lurked for a long time. a few years ago a stumbled upon this recipe and thought to myself, i should try this sometime. i bookmarked the page and quite honestly, completely forgot about it. last week, i was going through my bookmarks and found this page again. since i've just got my hands on some pacman, i thought this would be perfect. i brewed it up yesterday; everything went smoothly. hit an OG of 1.050. wish i could fast forward a few weeks! thanks to the OP.

^ Me too! I'm not a regular poster here, but I brewed this yesterday after I brewed my house pale ale. Efficiency of my system is consistently 60% so I upped the Vienna to 7.5 lbs. not much, but I was still able to hit an OG of 1.049 close enough... Looking forward to see how this comes out.

Just pitched the yeast on this one. I hit all my numbers, overall one of the smoothest brew days I've ever had. I have high hopes for this one. I can't wait until it's ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Efficiency of my system is consistently 60% so I upped the Vienna to 7.5 lbs.
i also went through a low efficiency stage; no matter what i tried. then i discovered no sparge brewing and my efficiency improved dramatically. look into it.

Brewed this Monday night as a 10 gallon batch. Hit all my numbers perfectly and pitched S-05 in one carboy and S-04 in another to do a little character comparison. Kinda wishing I had done Nottingham instead of the 04 but there's always next time! Both fermentations are going strong, hoping to turn this one around quick and have it kegged and carbed in a couple weeks. :mug:

Brewed this Monday night as a 10 gallon batch. Hit all my numbers perfectly and pitched S-05 in one carboy and S-04 in another to do a little character comparison. Kinda wishing I had done Nottingham instead of the 04 but there's always next time! Both fermentations are going strong, hoping to turn this one around quick and have it kegged and carbed in a couple weeks. :mug:

Ah. How do you think the Notty would have differed?

I had some Willamette and Cascade hops I wanted to use up, so we will see how this version turns out! It smelled amazing.

Back