Belgain Candi Sugar Failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerMikey

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers,

So I have read and re-read the many blogs and posts about making Belgian Candi Sugar at home and I still can't seem to get the sugar/cream of tartar solution to not crystallize.
I dilute the table sugar in a small amount of water, add a pinch of Cream of Tartar and raise the temps as instructed to 160 F, then start my 20 minute timer. I keep the flame on low and add a little water when the temp starts creeping north of 170 F. After 15 or so minutes of keeping temps between 160 F and 170 F the sugar solution begins to form crystals on the top and then slowly thickens and forms the crystallized mass pictured in this post.
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong. I am very careful not to let the temps drop below 160F so I know that can be it.
Thank you

CIMG3554.jpg

Hi and thank you for the link. I am hoping to make sugar rather than syrup as I am planning to sell it.

Back