2013 NHC first round results?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm not playing the game correctly. I enter a beer in the category I think it should go in and don't bomb the category. I supposed I could've entered the helles into all of the light lager categories, but that defeats the spirit of the competition I think.

This... food for thought for next year.

Happy to have two entries going to the final round, but WOW some of the brewers out there did awesome. Saw a person in one region with (I think it was) five entries going through, including four firsts. Crazy.

I was hoping to see a Philly area club make the push this year but not being familiar with any of them, I can't tell if one dominated. That and the fact they are spread across several regions because of the registration issues.

There are alot of clubs in the Philly area, Keystone Hops is probably the big one and had a handfull of beers place.

I am in Philadelphia Homebrew Club, we are only 1 year old and had 2 beers from 2 different brewers place.

There are also alot of sizable clubs in all of the surrounding burbs.

Question about the online results... are the scores only showing up for beers that are advancing or for all beers? I entered two beers, one scored a 40, advanced to mini-BOS and finished 2nd in the Stout category. The other entry shows nothing for score or mini-BOS.

entries.jpg

Still don't have score sheets, so......

Didn't get my scoresheet yet... But just checked online and saw that I placed 3rd in NYC for my ESB. It scored a 35. This was the only beer I entered and the first time entering a contest. Needless to say I'm really excited!

Stupid question:

Did they do BOS at the regional NHCs? I don't see anything listed about that. From the rules my guess is "no".

no they don't. the first bottle is used for judging, the second gets pulled for mini-bos in the category.

This post may be a little late - I was quietly holding out hope that I placed another beer. My California Common finished 2nd in KC. Out of five beers, it was my second lowest score. I feel like I am heading into the finals with a weak hand. Rebrewed last week; hopefully this one is a hair better than the last.

Spice/ herb - 39
Kolsch - 31
N English Brown - 40 (mini bos)
Cal Common - 34 (2nd)
APA - 37

This was my rookie year. Thanks for all of the help everyone. I read much more than I post...

Question- what percentage of non-aged beers do you think are re-brewed for the finals?

nope. no number = you didn't advance. if you got a Mini-BOS check mark that means you were good enough to advance to the show-down. no number means that they picked other beers during that final show-down. so you made it to the final fours, but didn't win the title. still - congrats! i got two mini-BOS's but neither moved on.

I think it just depends on the judges. My saison didn't have anything on the coversheet (other than the score), but I did make it to the mini-BOS with a 38.5, or so it says on the website.

Havent gotten my score sheets yet but looks like I got 2nd for my Rye Saison in 16c in Tulsa!

Will definitely rebrew and do a side by side.

Repping Philly Homebrew Club in the home town!

And Coff is one of the ones who beat me! Nice going!

Next year I'm doing a cider/perry and sending it to Tulsa. Damn, they only had 4 entries and are sending three to the finals, lol.

I'm glad I entered. I got two beers entered on the second go-round, and they were numbers 723 and 762. Since the site accepted my payment for both and said I was good to go, I sent both. Both were judged, and I'm happy. It says that Tulsa had 672 entries, so I guess either a bunch of people bailed, or there were some null entry numbers.

I'm glad I entered. I got two beers entered on the second go-round, and they were numbers 723 and 762. Since the site accepted my payment for both and said I was good to go, I sent both. Both were judged, and I'm happy. It says that Tulsa had 672 entries, so I guess either a bunch of people bailed, or there were some null entry numbers.

I don't know about other people, but I put in placeholders for entries because I wasn't sure what would be ready by the time I needed to send them in, with the understanding that I would be able to edit my entries. This is what I did last year, and it worked fine (except the box containing my beers got smashed while shipping).

This year, I did the same thing, but the website wouldn't let me edit my entries at all--I am assuming it was continued fallout from the huge registration debacle, but I don't know. Anyway, I ended up sending in two of the beers, but the other one had the wrong category selected and I couldn't change it, so I just didn't send in that entry. No sense submitting a beer in a completely different style...

Question about the online results... are the scores only showing up for beers that are advancing or for all beers? I entered two beers, one scored a 40, advanced to mini-BOS and finished 2nd in the Stout category. The other entry shows nothing for score or mini-BOS.

entries.jpg

Still don't have score sheets, so......

Should have been for all beers. I didn't advance or go to mini-BOS, and my score is there.

Should have been for all beers. I didn't advance or go to mini-BOS, and my score is there.

Thanks... but that honestly kind of pisses me off more.

The beers I shipped actually arrived in NY less than 24 hours after dropping them off locally. They then sat for 3 days somewhere because the site refused delivery. The beer with no score is actually the better of the two (and has scored higher as well) and I really hope they come up with a proper reply as to why it wasn't judged. Completely frustrated with this comp at this point.

Still don't have my score sheets, but I see online:
American IPA: 32
Irish Red: 26 (I think the yeast I used this time made it too fruity)
Black IPA 36.5 and made it to mini bos

My second time entering, I'm really happy with my IPAs' scores! :D I think if my LHBS had the right yeast I wanted my Irish Red probably would have done better :(

No scoresheet from NYC yet but I did see my score online.

I scored a 34 for my Strong Saison that I entered in the 16E. Belgian Specialty Ale category. No mini BOS, but I'm very happy with the score that I got especially since it was the first beer that I've entered in a homebrew comp before. :mug:

Do they send any certificates with the scoresheets?

Thanks,
Mike

No scoresheet from NYC yet but I did see my score online.

I scored a 34 for my Strong Saison that I entered in the 16E. Belgian Specialty Ale category. No mini BOS, but I'm very happy with the score that I got especially since it was the first beer that I've entered in a homebrew comp before. :mug:

Do they send any certificates with the scoresheets?

Thanks,
Mike

Certificates and ribbons (if you placed) are sent form the AHA.

Thanks... but that honestly kind of pisses me off more.

The beers I shipped actually arrived in NY less than 24 hours after dropping them off locally. They then sat for 3 days somewhere because the site refused delivery. The beer with no score is actually the better of the two (and has scored higher as well) and I really hope they come up with a proper reply as to why it wasn't judged. Completely frustrated with this comp at this point.

If NYC completely lost your beer, it receives a pass to move onto the second round. If you only receive one scoresheet and really did send two beers, email Janis.

If you log onto your region at www.brewingcompetition.com you can see your score, in case you don't want to wait.

I had 2 advance and got a 37 for a DIPA which went to mini-BOS but got bumped from there. I know 3 bottles that are going to be emptied tonight :tank:

Damn. I kind of wish I hadn't seen the scores now. The same batch of that recipe that got a 38 and a 40 (from a Master BJCP judge) at the Colonial Cup got a 26 at the NHC. :(

I know this sort of thing is kind of common with competitions, but that's a damned big difference in scores. The feedback better tell me how to take the recipe from what it is to making Nectar of the Gods if I had that many points deducted. That just stings.

If NYC completely lost your beer, it receives a pass to move onto the second round. If you only receive one scoresheet and really did send two beers, email Janis.

Thanks Amanda... I sent off an email last night to the site director and copied Janis on it. She replied back quickly and professionally and let me know that there was cellar error and they misplaced my beer before judging. She let me know that it would be given an administrative advance since it was an error by the competition staff.

And I'll tell you what... if everyone could be as friendly and prompt as her, this competition would run flawlessly :)

I feel kind of weird about being given the advance without the judging... but the beer has finished with an HM in BOS in another competition and has been scored well by national judges. So I hope it's on par with the other great beers it will be going up against...

And I'll tell you what... if everyone could be as friendly and prompt as her, this competition would run flawlessly :)

I feel kind of weird about being given the advance without the judging... but the beer has finished with an HM in BOS in another competition and has been scored well by national judges. So I hope it's on par with the other great beers it will be going up against...

Janis Gross is a saint. Especially for dealing with all of us! :cross:

I would look at it this way - if it's not good, it won't medal at NHC. If it makes it through the incredibly stiff competition there, it deserves to be there.

I feel kind of weird about being given the advance without the judging...

I don't think you should feel weird and most people will not hold it against you...unless of course they are in one of the two categories I got thru, then you and I are going to have words.:D

Good luck in the finals (except for 7C and 27A :p)

I don't think you should feel weird and most people will not hold it against you...unless of course they are in one of the two categories I got thru, then you and I are going to have words.:D

Good luck in the finals (except for 7C and 27A :p)

lol... we're good :mug:

I think I'm not playing the game correctly. I enter a beer in the category I think it should go in and don't bomb the category. I suppose I could've entered the helles into all of the light lager categories, but that defeats the spirit of the competition I think.

A better approach would be to enter the helles if it's a good helles. If it's more like a Dortmunder, enter it as a Dortmunder. Enter it as what it turned out to be, not what you wanted/planned it to be.

I may get slammed for this... There are styles that overlap, by all means, feel free to enter as both. However, if you think it's sort of like style A and sort of like style B, it may not do well in either. To me a Helles tastes like a Helles. It doesn't taste like any Am light lagers, and it doesn't taste like a Dortmunder.

I'm guilty of thinking my beer tastes like a certain style. But when I try it side by side one of the commercial examples it's sometimes humbling. I'm not at all implying this is your situation.

I know this sort of thing is kind of common with competitions, but that's a damned big difference in scores.

At a recent well-known (up here at least) competition my Bohemian pilsner won BOS. Then it received a 28 or something in the NHC first round. Even at the non-NHC comp though, one judge scored it a 44 and the other a 29 before they erased their scores to bring them closer together (I think they both moved four points to give it a 36.5 average). Then the BOS judges (including 2 professional brewers) raved about it.

Get to brew a 10 bbl batch of it at a brewpub sometime this spring. Should be fun!

At a recent well-known (up here at least) competition my Bohemian pilsner won BOS. Then it received a 23 or something in the NHC first round. Even at the non-NHC comp though, one judge scored it a 44 and the other a 29 before they erased their scores to bring them closer together (I think they both moved four points to give it a 36.5 average). Then the BOS judges (including 2 professional brewers) raved about it.

Get to brew a 10 bbl batch of it at a brewpub sometime this spring. Should be fun!

And you know, the fact that I'm going to be brewing another beer on Saturday is better news than any competition scores/feedback anyway.

For me, brewing is about the magic of the process rather than competing.

A better approach would be to enter the helles if it's a good helles. If it's more like a Dortmunder, enter it as a Dortmunder. Enter it as what it turned out to be, not what you wanted/planned it to be.

I may get slammed for this... There are styles that overlap, by all means, feel free to enter as both. However, if you think it's sort of like style A and sort of like style B, it may not do well in either. To me a Helles tastes like a Helles. It doesn't taste like any Am light lagers, and it doesn't taste like a Dortmunder.

I'm guilty of thinking my beer tastes like a certain style. But when I try it side by side one of the commercial examples it's sometimes humbling. I'm not at all implying this is your situation.

No, I definitely agree with you, enter the category that you think your beer fits into best. That post yesterday was me venting a bit because I see the same names under categories just with different substyles. I'm not saying they're the same beers, they could be different beers I know. This year I made the 4 different beers to enter, 4 different categories. Maybe if I want to medal, I make 4 different beers but all under the same category but different substyles, and pick the best of the lot. The 4 beers I sent were all worthy of advancing, I wouldn't have sent them otherwise, competition is stiff in this one though.

I medaled at NHC two years ago with a doppelbock that I made as a traditional bock, but turned out a doppel, so I definitely agree you should enter the beer in the category it most resembles.

It is humbling to taste good examples of styles - but dammit, that helles that I made is a helles, and it's a good helles. I'm transported to Marienplatz every time I drink it, so I'll keep making it like I do. I still look forward to getting my scoresheets though. :)

And you know, the fact that I'm going to be brewing another beer on Saturday is better news than any competition scores/feedback anyway.

For me, brewing is about the magic of the process rather than competing.

Speaking for myself, it's definitely not about the competition. The beer I entered is a personal favorite that I was brewing for a local beer fest (Zapp's). I just entered it on a lark since I was making 10 gallons of it already. I get more out of the people that enjoyed it there or elsewhere (including pro brewers) than I do out of comps, which is why I haven't entered one in a long time.

No, I definitely agree with you, enter the category that you think your beer fits into best. That post yesterday was me venting a bit because I see the same names under categories just with different substyles. I'm not saying they're the same beers, they could be different beers I know. This year I made the 4 different beers to enter, 4 different categories. Maybe if I want to medal, I make 4 different beers but all under the same category but different substyles, and pick the best of the lot. The 4 beers I sent were all worthy of advancing, I wouldn't have sent them otherwise, competition is stiff in this one though.
It is humbling to taste good examples of styles - but dammit, that helles that I made is a helles, and it's a good helles. I'm transported to Marienplatz every time I drink it, so I'll keep making it like I do. I still look forward to getting my scoresheets though. :)

That would include me :drunk: I was trying to sweep the pilsner category in NYC as they are my specialty. Came close. Ger. Pils took #1 and CAP took #3. My CZ pils (which I am known for) didn't even make the mini-BOS (I suspect it was too bitter for them - no score sheets yet). The 3 pilsners I submitted were each VERY different (an IPA drinker might not think so)

Also, the score of the CAP was higher (0.5) than that for the Ger. pils. So as others have said, the actual score doesn't really matter once you go to the mini-BOS

I think it just depends on the judges. My saison didn't have anything on the coversheet (other than the score), but I did make it to the mini-BOS with a 38.5, or so it says on the website.

And Coff is one of the ones who beat me! Nice going!

Next year I'm doing a cider/perry and sending it to Tulsa. Damn, they only had 4 entries and are sending three to the finals, lol.

Ah, nice score sir! Mine scored a 40 so it was probably a toss up, on a different day you probably would have won. Sounds like youre beer was great.

Scoresheets arrived from NYC :)

Got an 18/20 for flavor on my Imperial Stout and love this comment:

Palate wrecker of intensity :ban:

Probably a good thing it was late in the flight...heh

Just fond out that I have two entries going to NHC Final Round in Philly.
1st place metheglin, and second place dark lager.

Was wondering if anyone had or knew of any available tickets for the NHC 2013 awards banquet ? Maybe from someone who purchased by is longer able to attend.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Just fond out that I have two entries going to NHC Final Round in Philly.
1st place metheglin, and second place dark lager.

Was wondering if anyone had or knew of any available tickets for the NHC 2013 awards banquet ? Maybe from someone who purchased by is longer able to attend.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Maybe there will be some sketchy people outside the convention center scalping tickets, like at the ball games. If scalping is illegal , then look for a guy making the peace sign. He's got two tickets. If it's legal or ignored, someone with a vagrant cardboard sign scrawled with "tikets cheep."

My advice on buying scalped tickets is go in pairs. One of you pays for the tickets, the other waits next to the scalper. If there's any problems, you can deal with the scalper right then and there. Otherwise, if they sell you counterfeit tickets, by the time you get back they'll have split.

So yeah, that's the 1.0 version of AHA ticket scalping.

From Atlanta:

Black Forest Winter Stout (Fruit Beer) 33
Castle Harvest Wet Hop (American Brown Ale) 39
THX-2 (American IPA) 33
Saison Du Noel (Belgian Specialty Ale, black saison) 30

I'm pleased with the brown ale, especially since it's one of my custom designed recipes using 100% homegrown hops, and it recently placed second in a local competition. Looking forward to the score sheets, and will work on improving that beer.

I received my scoresheet from NY regional but also two others that were not mine! Who should I contact to straighten this out? Id like to get those ppl their sheets.

Also got a 27 for my bourbon barrel porter. Happy since its the first time Ive entered.

I received my scoresheet from NY regional but also two others that were not mine! Who should I contact to straighten this out? Id like to get those ppl their sheets.

Also got a 27 for my bourbon barrel porter. Happy since its the first time Ive entered.

Email the site organizer and copy Janis Gross. They should be able to work out the proper owner pretty quickly.

Latest posts

Back