Confession About Belgian Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Belgian beers are different. If you don't like the yeast funk then you don't like it. Everyone has different tastes.

I personally love Belgians and brew them often. The only thing about them is the fact that many are high ABV beers and you cannot drink them all the time. A good BDSA is one of my favorites, but I cannot drink them every day. I have been working on brewing a low ABV Belgian style beer for every day drinking. I am getting very close to a good recipe, with a lot of the Belgian flavor without a high ABV.

B-boy,

Do you like other styles of beer that are yeast-focused?

For a long time, I didn't like Hefeweizens. I liked lots of different lagers, ales, pales ales, IPAs, etc. But I didn't like 'wheat beers,' as I called them at the time. I thought that wheat gave a beer some sort of funky taste.

I think some of the English ales are fairly yeast-forward. I've had some German ales that had a strong yeast profile as well. It's just a different flavour than the Belgian yeasts. I'm not a huge fan of heffes. I've tried a few. I just didn't care for them that much.

I've had some OK witbiers. I may try picking up a few of those.

Been a Belgian fan for a long time. Sort of like anything else though; you need to get something you can enjoy drinking first so you can develop a palate for it.

The recommendation for the Chimay Tripel (White) is a solid one, and given what I've said above it is a recommendation I'd feel good about. The Chimay Première (Red) might also be a good one to try. They are Trappist ales but they are archetypal of the styles presented (White = Belgian Tripel, Red = Belgian Dubbel) and both have less of the "barnyard" notes and more of the classic fruitiness. If you can't like these then maybe you won't like Belgians. Do get them from a place that treats the bottles right and has a good turnover (of stock, not help).

Also, these are the more expensive beers however a short pour, making sure not to pull any yeast over might be a good idea for you as you try this out.

Try letting those beers warm up to around 50deg or so, if that's not already been said. I don't really think most Belgians you'll find will be "funky", just hallmarked by the yeast and fermentation characteristics. Delerium Tremens is amazing, try Duvel, as mentioned. Tripels are a great start. I'm not a fan of American wits because the coriander is over the top, so don't write them off if you haven't had a true Belgian Wit. New Belgium's Tripel is very good and easy to enjoy in my opinion. Ommegang and Unibroue are fantastic examples of Belgian styles. Have fun!!

Saturday I took a run over to my local beer store to pick out some of the Belgians you guys mentioned. I didn't go to the 'good' beer store, so I had limited selection.

My first impression in the Belgian aisle was a bit of sticker shock. $13 is a lot of money for a bottle of beer I may not like. Everything came in very large bottles too, so if I didn't like it there would be a lot of it to finish. Luckily I was returning a keg, so I had my $30 deposit to offset my purchases. Using my wife's accounting methods the beer was free.

I picked up a bottle of the ABT 12, Stone Cali Belgique, and a 3-pack sampler of Chimay that included a proper chalice (Now I don't have to drink my beer like a hillbilly). :D

I haven't tried the ABT 12 or the Stone Cali Belgique yet.

Experiment #2: Chimay -
I popped open 2 bottles of the Chimay. I still have a bottle of the Blue Chimay that I haven't tried yet. I tried the Trippel (yellow) and the Dubbel (red). Both were good. I detected a very small hint of the 'funk' I've experienced in the past with Belgians. It was there, but it didn't really hinder my enjoyment. Actually, it worked well with the other flavors. I could definitely drink either of these again. I liked the Trippel best.

Overall, I'd give them a 2 out of 10 on the Belgian Funk-O-Meter. For comparison's sake I'd say the Delerium Tremens registered at about 7 on the Belgian Funk-O-Meter. In my case the lower the number = less funk = the better I like it.

Thanks for the suggestions on these. I appreciate all the responses.

I would HIGHLY recommend you try the following two USA-brewed belgians. Both are inexpensive, come in 12 oz, and great places to start:

Allagash White
North Coast Brewing PranQster

I seriously think you will rate Allagash White at 9 or 10 out of 10 - SERIOUSLY. Fan-fricking-tastic and doesn't make me think Belgian much at all (maybe this is cheating but it's still considered a belgian beer).

PranQster is much more traditional belgian strong golden but for some reason I like it quite a bit - the cheap price certainly helps :D. Overall I think it just has a nice balance of funk, alcohol, fruit, and dryness for a great price.

I'm with the OP. I enjoy lambics or sours, but not much else. People in my local club love making dubbel, triple, and quad, along with witte and others. It's all they make and they get so excited about it, and I just find it boring.

I would disagree that you will necessarily "develop a taste" for them or that "your palate will mature". I have given them a fair try for years and still find them offensive. Stone's Cali-Belgique would be one of the few I ever repeated and found tolerable.

So, if you be so poor as to not develop a taste for them so be it. Even though so many brewers commercial and home believe that Belgium is the New Black, luckily we can agree to disagree and still be respected as connoisseurs of fine beers.:tank:

It's weird because there are very few things I don't like. In fact i'm having a hard time coming up with any other flavour I don't care for except licorice. Even then, i'll eat it if it's offered to me. I'm glad to hear i'm not the only one who has a bad reaction to the taste.

You started with some serious beers. I'd say start with some easy drinking beers. Try some wit. Very low on the funk. Then try some small saison. Great divide makes a beer called Collette that is incredible. Light and dry, just a little tart and fruity.

I think once you get the taste for some lighter beers you can get on to the funkier stuff, tripel, ipa, golden strong, etc.

At least that is what did it for me.

Tripels hooked me. Most any tripel is a treat. There is a homebrew contest in my area each year. It's decided by votes from the attendees...no official judges. My friends and I theorized that a sweetish, fruity, warming tripel would be a sure bet for success.

What do you guys mean by funk? I look for spice and fruit from regular Belgian yeast. British ales are pretty fruity too...I believe the yeast used for Duvel orginally came from an English ale (Scotch ale?). Only thing I consider funk comes from Brett...like Orval is funky.

On the opposite side, I run from anything with the word farmhouse in it. Whenever I've tried farmhouse ales I fell like i'm drinking water someone used to wring out their gym socks. :)

I couldn't agree more with you regarding farmhouse stuff. Reminds me of dirty dishes in the sink.

However, I really like most every other Belgian. That St. Bernardus 12 is fantastic.

Ommegang Abbey Dubbel was all I needed to know I love Belgians. I absolutely love the funk and now saisons are my latest infatuation. I know my buddies aren't wild about saisons though. I generally love trying new foods, especially bold or spicy flavors so maybe that plays into it somehow as well. Are you (OP) a fan of trying new foods? Many folks around here seem to like what they like (PA Dutch meat and potatoes) and don't like to deviate from that. Anywho, to each their own! :mug:

Ommegang Abbey Dubbel was all I needed to know I love Belgians. I absolutely love the funk and now saisons are my latest infatuation. I know my buddies aren't wild about saisons though. I generally love trying new foods, especially bold or spicy flavors so maybe that plays into it somehow as well. Are you (OP) a fan of trying new foods? Many folks around here seem to like what they like (PA Dutch meat and potatoes) and don't like to deviate from that. Anywho, to each their own! :mug:

I'm pretty adventurous. Think Andrew Zimmern. I ate Guinae Pigs (Cuy) in Peru. I ate '1000-year old eggs', scorpions, and the webbing between a duck's toes in China. I'll try anything once. :D

There are few things I don't like.

If you don't like Belgian beers that is fine. Not every style is for everyone. I like Belgian beers personally, several of my buddies don't like them. Personally I don't like onions, odd yes, but it is something I can't get a taste for.

I would HIGHLY recommend you try the following two USA-brewed belgians. Both are inexpensive, come in 12 oz, and great places to start:

Allagash White
North Coast Brewing PranQster

I seriously think you will rate Allagash White at 9 or 10 out of 10 - SERIOUSLY. Fan-fricking-tastic and doesn't make me think Belgian much at all (maybe this is cheating but it's still considered a belgian beer).

PranQster is much more traditional belgian strong golden but for some reason I like it quite a bit - the cheap price certainly helps :D. Overall I think it just has a nice balance of funk, alcohol, fruit, and dryness for a great price.

+1
Two great beers I would drink anytime.

Amendment: I previously recommended Stone Cali-Belgie, but I just had one and it is funkier than I remember. I think a better way to ease into Belgians is to have a couple of nice Belgian Saisons, and if you like those then you can give the funkier ones a try. I personally really like Valiant's Fields Ablaze and Saison DuPont is of course a classic in the style. Saisons focus on spice more than funk, so it might be a little kinder to the olfactory glands of someone who doesn't enjoy footy-beer, while giving a nice intro to the flavors that Belgian-style yeasts bring to the party.

Sorry to revive a month-old thread, but I avoided anything "French-y" for a long time because I didn't know how to ease into it from IPAs, and I would hate for anyone searching to miss out because they thought farmhouse funk was all there is to taste from Belgian yeasts.

P.S. Miserable Fat Belgian Bastards! I can't seem to leave that out of anything that mentions Belgians! For reference, here is the bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19fcN3VaXs4#t=25s And in case anyone wants to be offended by the rest of it, here's another link for you http://dictionary.com/browse/satire

I put Belgians in the things-I-don't-like-for-no-discernable-reason category (along with Ford Mustangs and the Grateful Dead). I'd like to like them, but I just don't. Haven't given up yet, but I'm not encouraged by the ones I've tried so far.

chocotaco said:
I think a better way to ease into Belgians is to have a couple of nice Belgian Saisons, and if you like those then you can give the funkier ones a try. <snip> Saisons focus on spice more than funk, so it might be a little kinder to the olfactory glands of someone who doesn't enjoy footy-beer, while giving a nice intro to the flavors that Belgian-style yeasts bring to the party.

I dunno. I don't think "sour/funk" when I think saison, but I've been burned on that a few times. Saison can carry Brett or sour, and that's a bit over the edge for many new Belgian drinkers...

Well, this thread is a little stale, but I would just say not to worry about it. It's impressive that you're willing to spend so much money and try so many beers to find one you like, but I don't think anyone should feel like they "should" like something. Like defies "should." A few of my non-beer drinking friends could take a lesson from you, though.

After a few Belgian-only nights and some Belgian hybrids, I'm getting into the Belgian philosophy since I posted on this thread a while back.

:mug:

Did a Belgian tripel as my second beer to be kegged.

I put Belgians in the things-I-don't-like-for-no-discernable-reason category (along with Ford Mustangs and the Grateful Dead). I'd like to like them, but I just don't. Haven't given up yet, but I'm not encouraged by the ones I've tried so far.

I understand the Greatful Dead, but how can you not like a Ford Mustang? Just the new ones or all of them? :D

As far as Belgians I've decided on Chimay as my one-and-only go to Belgian. So far I've tried 3 types and I liked them all.

I donno if it's been mentioned here yet or not... it's not really a traditional belgian I guess... but we have a Belgian Beer House style restaurant nearby that carries something like 60 different Belgian beers... my favourite so far has been Kwak.

The glass is a lot of fun too :)
494px-Kwak.jpg

PranQster is never a bad choice (previously stated)

New Belgium Abbey

Allagash White (previously stated)

If you like Sierra Nevada maybe give their Ovila series a try.

Personally speaking, there's not a lot of middle ground when it comes to Belgians; I either love a beer or hate it.

I think the best Belgian ales conflict with the 'mericun kitchen sink approach to brewing, in the sense Belgium as a style has more of a focus on balance of acid, sugars, phenols, where I would say 'merica is more "Toss it all in. We'll make this somabitch the craziest double triple imperial black IPA the world's ever seen."

Not to say there is anything wrong with either stylistic tangent. With the Belgian's focus on fermentation aromas, austere alcohol and acid, they pair beautifully with food. I think it's noble to try and discover different perspectives, I also think it's good to know what you like and why. Too many people are on the BA, ratings train with no comprehension of why "I" like a beer, only a number to guide them, being no less sheep than the "lite" lager lovers they brood about. So good on you for experimenting and sticking to your guns.

I'll add Delerium Nocturnum to my list of Belgians that I really like.

I split a bottle of this with a friend and it went down pretty easy. Of course this was after 4-5 homebrews, so I might hae been a little more open to it than usual. I'll have to try it again pre-homebrews.

So far:
  • Chimay (Blue)
  • Delerium Nocturnum
  • ABT 12

Looks I'm leaning toward the darker beers.

b-boy said:
I'll add Delerium Nocturnum to my list of Belgians that I really like.

I split a bottle of this with a friend and it went down pretty easy. Of course this was after 4-5 homebrews, so I might hae been a little more open to it than usual. I'll have to try it again pre-homebrews.

So far:

[*]Chimay (Blue)
[*]Delerium Nocturnum
[*]ABT 12

Looks I'm leaning toward the darker beers.

Somewhat based on this forum, I started trying Belgians again too. I also like the Chimay blue, and some other darker ones. I always though all the delerium stuff was way too over priced though.

Somewhat based on this forum, I started trying Belgians again too. I also like the Chimay blue, and some other darker ones. I always though all the delerium stuff was way too over priced though.

None of it is cheap. I'm not sure when it happened, but at some point in time $10 for a single bottle of beer became reasonable to me. That's what I used to pay for a 12-pack. I blame Firestone Walker Double Jack. That was my first - 'holy crap this is expensive, but I must have it, beer'.

The cost is sort of a pain. I like Belgian styles (I think I started off on Ommegang dubbel), but I tend not to buy many except to have a couple 750 mL bottles on hand for special occasions, or if I see a good deal on something.

Latest posts

Back