Projects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liquiditynerd

Reaction score
I've read through a lot of posts here and seen some pretty unique projects. I thought I'd post something I just finished and something I just started. Not exactly brewing related, kinda DYI, but really just stuff that you can sit back and say " I Made This" there are some talented folks around this haunt and I'm curious to see what's going on....

About to deliver this and get it out of the way "Radiance"

image-695482429.jpg

Started this for the next one "Nautalis"

image-4288164137.jpg

Whatchya'll creative folks up to while sippin on sometin?

That's really nice work. What kind of price tag for a piece like that?

My brother is a timber framer by trade and in his "spare time" he makes cocktail tables, TV stands and desks in a timber peg style. All hardwood, a lot of oak and cherry, some butternut and curly maple.

thanks y'all. I hope this thread gets more pics!

I started doing this back in college for fun. Mostly out of left overs from restoration jobs. I left it alone for awhile but started getting requests and commissions. They're all different so I don't have a set pricing and I enjoy doing it. I started putting them on etsy too.

Funny, woodworkers hate seeing material go to waste. All of this wood was saved from the dump!

i'm trying to find pictures of stuff i've done in the past, which are loaded onto picasa/google plus, but work has blocked them :( so i'll try later

image-3997847501.jpg

Dam, I'll go again. I found this driftwood on a run by the river so I went back for it, sealed it up, and stuck an orchid in there. I'm looking for some air plants as well. I scored some cheap at lowes last night.

I used it to clean out my brushes actually. I used minwax poly in satin. I try to have a project going that I can use left overs on. For porous wood I sometimes dilute the poly with thinner so it soaks in.

Not quite as nice as yours but here are a few things I've built. Just getting into woodworking, still have a lot to learn. Inherited a bunch of tools that I am trying to put to use.

First is a raised food bowl for my dog. (pardon the blurry cell phone pic.)

Next picture is a garden bench I made following free plans from a pamphlet at Lowes.

The third is a farmhouse style dinning room table that I found plans for on the internet (did not make the chairs, just the table.)

2012-01-28_09-51-49_206.jpg

IMG_3352.jpg

Table2.jpg

Nice! Isn't it great to know you don't have to rely on ikea or walmart. I bet Ranger loves not having to eat off the floor and thAt bench has a stick/shaker look, is that for the garden or porch? I can see some nice afternoons in the yard with a cold one

Thanks. Yeah it feels great to make something yourself rather than buy. He does enjoy eating at a higher level not having to bend down. Bench is in my yard on the grass to the side of my deck. Nice area for people to sit during a party or whatever.

Most of my projects have been ways to clear out the garage...aka make room for my home brewery. Being in Florida with no basement, the garage becomes the storage location of choice and always ends up being a cluttered mess. I've been trying to find a way to pack as much stuff away as possible and leave the floor open for da brew.

image-2599859957.jpg

Ddubduder said:
Most of my projects have been ways to clear out the garage...aka make room for my home brewery. Being in Florida with no basement, the garage becomes the storage location of choice and always ends up being a cluttered mess. I've been trying to find a way to pack as much stuff away as possible and leave the floor open for da brew.

Shoot, at least y'all have a garage! These SE GA houses don't even have that and I know what you mean about a cluttered mess!

image-745492726.jpg

After way too much sanding the top of Nataulis is ready to start the sealing process. Of course it's about to rain but if I get this thing sealed up I can start the driftwood base and frame which will give me just enough "show" to get some fishing in! I hear the spotted sea trout are starting to run, and I think I'm going to keep the next stingray I catch and try the white meat they have.

... the garage becomes the storage location of choice and always ends up being a cluttered mess. I've been trying to find a way to pack as much stuff away as possible ...

I hear ya on that.
I think there's a universal law that says "you find stuff to fill the space available to you".
I've got a large old house, an 1892 Victorian with two floors, plus a 1400 sq ft basement and a detached 4-car garage and I still don't have enough room. Garage and basement are both packed ... antiques, furniture, workshop stuff, project materials, winemaking stuff ...
I joke to my neighbor that I need a barn ... but I'm only slightly joking when I say it.

... The third is a farmhouse style dinning room table that I found plans for on the internet (did not make the chairs, just the table.)

Great dining room table!

I’m just getting things together to make a seventeenth century Refectory Table which has some similarities to your dining table.

I’ll be using ancient joinery and hand working to replicate the look of a period piece.
I’m still just in the planning stage and getting materials together.

Here’s an example from 1680 that I am, in part, patterning the project after.

34oa51g.jpg

2ir11ly.jpg

and a 1620 example ...
11sgjf4.jpg

The biggest challenge is definitely going to be the finish, wear patterns and patina.

There was a great episode of New Yankee Workshop that I captured on tape about 10 years ago where Norm visited an expert in creating a similar aged look on chairs ... unfortunately that tape bit the dust in a flood a while back and I’ve had no luck finding that segment anywhere since.

Another project on the books is going to be an Elizabethan Joint Stool ...... but one thing at a time.

I like it. I love that style, like what Rick did. the patina really makes the table "warm", I like the accidents, dents and dings. Let me know if you need ideas on the patina, I specialize in historic preservation. I love the old Victorians, I just finished restoring the most decorative one in Savannah, the Gingerbread House, circa 1899.

image-1316756311.jpg

image-1288030331.jpg

I found this chunk of sandstone today walking the dogs. Now I just have to figure out what to carve it into!

Back