Oxi Clean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osudude

Reaction score
I just used Oxi Clean to clean brew equipment (pot, bucket, carboy, etc). I knew it was ok to use for cleaning but I just read there's different types and I should have been using Oxi Clean free. The tub I have has a yellow top (I was supposed to be looking for green?) but also does say chlorine free. It's labeled as versatile (whatever that means).

I'm worried about smells and tainting the beer I'm brewing today. I'm not noticing a smell in the pot or bucket, but the carboy that I was intending to use does have a bit of a "clean" smell. I can't describe it any other way. I did rinse as best I could by spraying in some hot water, sloshing it around and draining.

I have another carboy but the Oxi Clean is the only non dish soap cleaner I have right now.

I'll be using some star san later to sanitize. Will that clean out some of it or should I just clean the other carboy with some hot water?

SH

I have the versatile oxiclean. I got it for cleaning some gunked up bottles I got free. even using less of it than recommended, it was a real pain to rinse off. it left the bottles with a weird slick feel. not just wet, but kinda slime like. with enough rinsing it came off, but it took quite a while. I suggest re rinsing your carboy to be sure you got it all off.

I've read on here that folks are getting the film off with starsan. Being an acidic sanitizer,it cuts right through the stuff. An oxyfree is the one you should've gotten. Get that & give momma the other one. They like gestures like that. Makes them more tolerable to your brewing,if you get my drift...
But that's why I use PBW,it rinses off easier & cleans anything in the right dilution.

I noticed the slimy feel too. It seems to come off pretty easy with my sinks spray attachment. I'm hoping that works well enough for the carboy.

I've used regular oxi clean when I couldn't find the oxi free stuff, I didn't have any problems with weird smells in the final beer. I rinse everything to the point the slippery feel is gone, usually 3 or 4 times in as hot of water as I can tolerate. Hope this helps.

Agreed. I have used the scented stuff before. You are fine so long as you rinse off any remaining residue/smell. No worries there, especially since you are sanatizing properly afterward.

Back