Questions adding fruit to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heathcom

Reaction score
A Frambozen brew idea came my way and found a lot of information with so many different ways to make one recipe work. My questions are if I add lets say a pound per gallon frozen mush of raspberries to secondary, rack on top of that, 1.) do i need to add more yeast to break down the sugars or leave as is to leave more fruit flavor 2.) Do i let it sit in secondary at room temp or fridgerate?

1. No need to add additional yeast, the fermentation will start back up again on it's own.
2. leave it at room temp, you dont' want to stall out fermentation.

My question is how safe is it to add fruit to secondary? I mean what are chances of adding unwanted bacteria and creating a skunk beer? What are the consequences of adding the fruit at end of boil as to make sure it is sterile. Any thaughts on this one?

My question is how safe is it to add fruit to secondary? I mean what are chances of adding unwanted bacteria and creating a skunk beer? What are the consequences of adding the fruit at end of boil as to make sure it is sterile. Any thaughts on this one?

Most fruit has natural bacteria on it's skin. If you add it with no preparation, you risk an infection. Due to the alcohol in the beer, any infection will take months to show itself. However, it is a gamble, and you might be OK. The beer has alcohol, which will prevent many potential infectious bacteria from reproducing.

Adding fruit to the boil will cause pectin haze in the beer. It will also cause a lot of the volatiles (aromas) to evaporate either during the boil, or during the initial fermentation.

What should you do?!?

- You can freeze fruit. The freezing action will kill most yeasts and bacteria. You can add the fruit straight from the freezer.

- You can pasteurize the fruit. Heat in a little water yo about 145 F and hold for 20 minutes.

Ive also heard soaking the fruits in vodka will do the trick as well. Would make a nice girly drink after the soaking.

Back