First brew tasting? Interesting taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewerB

Reaction score
I have just finishing bottling a wheat brew and it had a weird taste to me. I had this in primary for a little over 2 weeks and had in bottles for about 2 weeks and when I cracked it open it had a sort of alcohol smell.... Almost like a apple cider alcohol. I have no Idea why this is
I made a caribou a slobber a few weeks edited this and had it in a primary and a 3 week bottle
Condition and it tasted grey!
Thanks for all your help!

Sorry auto text I had slobber in primary 3 weeks

Could this smell be an infection? I still drank it hah and my two buddy's and his girl both said that they approved and thought it had a nice wheat almost blue moon taste (wheat beer)

I'd say give it a couple weeks and try another. The taste your describing just sounds like "green" beer to me. It just needs more time. What temp did you ferment at?

I'd say give it a couple weeks and try another. The taste your describing just sounds like "green" beer to me. It just needs more time. What temp did you ferment at?

+1 to this ^^^^.

The off-flavors you are noticing may well be from pitching/fermenting too warmly.

Give it another 2-3 weeks at room temp, then a few days in the fridge and see what you think.

A recipe was a basic wheat beer from a LHBS and it came with some dry yeast
Pitched at ~70* and fermented in my bedroom/living room 52-68*

When you make beer your yeast go through 3 phases, the last of which gives no indication of what it is doing but during that phase it breaks down intermediate compounds that it produced in phase 2, one of which is acetaldehyde. Acetaldehyde has a "green apple" or cider odor. Given time the yeast will convert that to more alcohol. You are just noticing the "green" or immature beer flavor. Try in another week and I'll bet it has gone away.

Noticed this with my first kit after primary of 2 weeks. So now I just leave it for 3 weeks before looking at it again. LHBS recomendation. Usually ferment my brews around 62-64.

Noticed this with my first kit after primary of 2 weeks. So now I just leave it for 3 weeks before looking at it again. LHBS recomendation. Usually ferment my brews around 62-64.

That seems to be a good temperature to start the ferment but after a few days when it slows down you can let it get warmer. I bring mine from 62 to 72 after about the 5th day and find that I usually get a lower FG than predicted.

Back