Pumpkin ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derbycitybrewer

Reaction score
So I'm gonna brew a pumpkin ale. I know it's not the season but I'm craving one. My question is what yeast would you'll recommend for a yeast?

I'm on a white labs kick lately

I like WLP-007, despite being English it is clean at cooler temps. Just did a red ale with WLP-002 that's real good with just a little fruitiness characteristic of the strain. I would say to use a yeast with some presence to stand up to the spice you will add.

I like a nice medium attenuating english ale yeast in my pumpkin ales, WLP002 being my go-to strain for the job. A clean US05 does nicely as well.

I have done 2 pumpkin ale batches with English ale yeast and was not pleased. I felt like the yeast added too much complexity that did not meld with the rest of the recipe. Though everyone else seems to like it. Just my $0.02.

i used us05 in my pumpkin ale last year and it was great. didnt want too much flavor from the yeast bc of all the spices and everything, so i fermented it fairly cool (around 66) and it was pretty clean, with just the pumpkin and spices coming through

beargrylls said:
i used us05 in my pumpkin ale last year and it was great. didnt want too much flavor from the yeast bc of all the spices and everything, so i fermented it fairly cool (around 66) and it was pretty clean, with just the pumpkin and spices coming through

I believe this is the route I'm gonna take. More I think about it I want the pumpkin and spices to shine through.

william_shakes_beer said:
But but.... where are youn going to find fresh Pumpkins thit time of year? :p

Brewing buddy of mine got 4 cans from his mother from this past year :)

Latest posts

Back