Stone IPA from mitch steel book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefjp

Reaction score
Hello, im planning on brewing. Stone's IPA, from Mitch Steel's book IPA, it calls for a upward infusion mash with a 30 min rest al 150f and then a mash out.
Is that enough for a full conversion?
What would be a good initial temp?

Thanks

Large scale brewery procedures don't always scale perfectly to homebrewing. Mash as long as you need to mash to get full conversion.

Check out the beersmith podcasts. He goes into detail about his IPA process. Ill try to out a link up when I get on my computer later. He specifically stated to mash long and low to create a dry beer for the hops to shine.

drawdy10 said:
Looking to brew this soon too, where the heck do you find C15?

This may be a noob question but if you cant find 15 can you use equal parts of crystal 10/20?

This may be a noob question but if you cant find 15 can you use equal parts of crystal 10/20?

I would think that would work. According to the Basic Brewing Radio podcast on March 27th. A lot of Maltsters will mix malts to get a specific color. It's not the perfect way to do it, but I would think it would work.

Thanks for the link, he starts talking the mash temp and times at about minute 29.
"147-148 for 5 hours is what they did for Bud Light, but 148-150 for 60-90 minutes should be good" he says.

The one thing that I would say that is overlooked most on homebrewing IPAs and getting them to come out great is the effect of bottle conditioning vs. kegging. I have found that consistently the kegged versions come out much brighter in the aroma for sure, seems like bottle conditioning eats hop aroma because of the extra yeast activity and the warm storage for an extra two weeks when you are drinking that kegged beer while it is fresher and kept colder which preserves hop volitiles longer.

After I heard this podcast I switched the way I brew my IPA's and I think there are a better beer now. I went from complex malt bills to just a simple base malt (sometimes 50/50 maris and 2-row) with a small amount of specialty for color and taste. I used to mash at 151 for my IPAs at 60 minutes and now I mash at 148 for 2 hours. I also used to put a lot of bitterness in my IPAs with maybe 65% - 70% of my IBU contributions coming from the bittering end. I have found that at around 70 IBUs, if I put 50% of my total ibus at bittering and the rest for flavor and aroma, I get a very balanced IPA. It turns out smooth and very easy drinking. I have switched this up a bit and now go to about 55% - 60% of my overall IBUs at bittering because I like a little more bite from my bitterness in a big IPA. In my APAs I still hop at about a 50/50 ratio because I like my APAs a bit more balanced than I do my IPAs.

Back