Craft Beer MAW

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wobrien said:
Hopefully I'll be able to get him a few he's looking for

I'm hoping too. I'm getting a huge shipment from Petaluma tomorrow, hopefully there will be some in there that will be on at least one of these lists.

Maybe. The thing I like about needing 100 posts is it gets people to be active in the forum. This way people are helping others, giving insight, and contributing to the HBT community beyond trading purposes. Allowing those with trader feedback just allows anyone interested in trading to hop in and not necessarily be apart of the other aspects of HBT.

I also agree with this.... 100%

I know some people have made some posts for the sake of getting their numbers up. But the majority of their 100 posts were still more about contribution than the numbers. Even if your answering the same questions over and over or sharing the same experience it holds tremendous value to those that are new to the hobby and seeking help. Revvy, Yooper, and many others have been doing it day in and day out for years with their post count meaning nothing more than the amount they've given to the HBT community. This is why I've encouraged everyone looking to get up to 100 posts to go to the beginner section and help people out. It's helping advance others in the hobby and getting you a post closer to the 100 needed every time you do it. The intent isn't to hold back the MAW, but to encourage participation and sharing the knowledge we've achieved.

I'd still like to say I'm mulling it over though and haven't made a choice either way. I just like the idea of everyone giving back to something that's given us so much.

Maybe. The thing I like about needing 100 posts is it gets people to be active in the forum. This way people are helping others, giving insight, and contributing to the HBT community beyond trading purposes. Allowing those with trader feedback just allows anyone interested in trading to hop in and not necessarily be apart of the other aspects of HBT.

Well put :mug:

I get that. I just dont see how someone with 100+ posts, and no trading cred, is preferred over someone that has several documented positive feedbacks for trading and is known to be a trustworthy trader. JMO

All good points KeyWest. I wasn't thinking about what good traders with low post counts have to offer HBT. There are a lot of folks on here who haven't tried five hundred plus differetn beers who might benefit from the advice of someone who has. Maybe just an exception for folks who live next to really good limited distribution breweries :)

I get that. I just dont see how someone with 100+ posts, and no trading cred, is preferred over someone that has several documented positive feedbacks for trading and is known to be a trustworthy trader. JMO

I think the post count min and the time requirement are a good combo. It'll cut down on people only using hbt as a trading platform. I don't think many people want to sit around for four months and make BS posts just to trade in the maw thread. They would go somewhere easier first.

You make a very good point and this is one of the things I have to consider while weighing the options.

I think the post count min and the time requirement are a good combo. It'll cut down on people only using hbt as a trading platform. I don't think many people want to sit around for four months and make BS posts just to trade in the maw thread. They would go somewhere easier first.

Thats the exact purpose.

I get that G-love....makes sense.

I've only traded once, got no feed back, but he posted pictures of what I sent. He hasn't sent mine yet, but has been in constant contact because something came up with work.

I guess, how does one go about trading more? I'm really hoping to get to do it with the MAW soon. Some of the things you guys post sound awesome. (On the what are you drinking now) and I can't get a lot of them.

The whole thing was no biggie, I was just wondering and I think my post came across a little *****y, certainly not my intent. Besides its kinda hard to screw someone over on this thread since you gotta give before you get anyway.

Ostomo517 said:
The whole thing was no biggie, I was just wondering and I think my post came across a little *****y, certainly not my intent. Besides its kinda hard to screw someone over on this thread since you gotta give before you get anyway.

I didn't take it that way and I'm hoping I didn't come off that way either. Just sharing my thoughts.

xtian116 said:
I've only traded once, got no feed back, but he posted pictures of what I sent. He hasn't sent mine yet, but has been in constant contact because something came up with work.

I guess, how does one go about trading more? I'm really hoping to get to do it with the MAW soon. Some of the things you guys post sound awesome. (On the what are you drinking now) and I can't get a lot of them.

Sometimes this happens and IMO I'd just ask politely in a way you'd want someone to ask you. As for setting up trades, you just gotta try and find stuff that you can get your hands on that people and other regions don't have access to. Mine are Cigar City and DFH.

^ Ditto. I've PM'd a few folks asking about stuff in their market that I'm interested in and have ended up making a trade about half the time.

KeyWestBrewing said:
Sometimes this happens and IMO I'd just ask politely in a way you'd want someone to ask you. As for setting up trades, you just gotta try and find stuff that you can get your hands on that people and other regions don't have access to. Mine are Cigar City and DFH.

TNGabe said:
^ Ditto. I've PM'd a few folks asking about stuff in their market that I'm interested in and have ended up making a trade about half the time.

Yep. What they said. If you see someone post something they're drinking and you want to try it, it never hurts to ask them. What's the worst that will happen? I commented on a glass someone was drinking out of in their picture, not even looking for a trade, and it ended in a trade with a great guy and will lead to more trades with him in the future. So you never know.

WesleyS said:
Yep. What they said. If you see someone post something they're drinking and you want to try it, it never hurts to ask them. What's the worst that will happen? I commented on a glass someone was drinking out of in their picture, not even looking for a trade, and it ended in a trade with a great guy and will lead to more trades with him in the future. So you never know.

I was gonna mention... Sometimes the trades just come to you. This is a perfect example.

xtian116 said:

Another great site to check out that always comes in handy for me is www.seekabrew.com. Just select the state of the person your trading with and then select the state you live in and it will tell you every brewery that distributes to both states. It will also break it down into what breweries only you get, which ones only they get, and which ones you have in common! Highly recommend the site!!

ed5388 said:
Another great site to check out that always comes in handy for me is www.seekabrew.com. Just select the state of the person your trading with and then select the state you live in and it will tell you every brewery that distributes to both states. It will also break it down into what breweries only you get, which ones only they get, and which ones you have in common! Highly recommend the site!!

Awesome tip Ed! Thanks to you others that have given good tips too! I've been wanting to get into trading, so this might help a bit! Thanks guys!

Thanks for all of the info! I'll be watching this one just waiting to pounce on the first one I can fulfill!

So, has Javier's offer been officially accepted? I can't wait to see his list while my brother is in NC. I hear there's some decent bottle shops around where he is.

xtian116 said:
I agree with that^

I know I took full advantage of this site to get my 100 in. It actually got me even more hooked on the site. Been a member for a while but never really an active member. Now, this is where I spend most of my online time.

Hopefully I'll be able to chime in and get to grant a wish SOON. I've been trying. Right after my 100, you guys stepped up the wish lists.

+1 on that. I've definitely been more active since subscribing to this thread.

Here goes my crazy list! Keep in mind, these are just wishes. Well, part wish, part begging for. Either way, let's begin!
Cascade- any
New Glarus- serendipitty, or any special sour
The Bruery- chocolate rain, white chocolate, black tuesday, grey monday, filmishmish, sour in the rye (peaches only), papier, coton, piapt, 3 french hens, 4 calling birds, mother funker
Drie fonteinen- any
Upright- any sours
Upland- any lambics
Kuhnhenn- any eisbocks and meads
Goose island- rare (of course) vanilla, bramble, and cherry,
Cantillon- any
Russian river- deviation, beatification
Lost abbey- isabelle proximus (lol) cable car (lmao)
Sierra nevada- barrel aged bigfoot
Three floyds- baller, amon amarth, dark lord (would be awesome to get a BA version) any Mikkeller colab.
Firestone Walker- parabola
Founders- cbs, better half, blushing monk, frangelic mountain
Cigar city- any of their sours.
Crooked stave- any of the brett series
Fiftyfifty- any of the eclipse
Surly- darkness, smoke, pentagram
Mikkeller- mexas ranger
Westvleteren- any

That's a decent list to start with!

Here goes my crazy list! Keep in mind, these are just wishes. Well, part wish, part begging for. Either way, let's begin!
Cascade- any
The Bruery- chocolate rain, white chocolate, black tuesday, grey monday, filmishmish, sour in the rye (peaches only), papier, coton, piapt, 3 french hens, 4 calling birds, mother funker
Drie fonteinen- any
Upright- any sours
Upland- any lambics
Goose island- rare (of course) vanilla, bramble, and cherry
Cantillon- any
Three floyds- baller, amon amarth, dark lord (would be awesome to get a BA version) any Mikkeller colab.
Cigar city- miami madness
Crooked stave- any if the brett series

Bringing this to most recent page for ya

Cascade- any
Drie fonteinen- any
Upright- any sours
Upland- any lambics
Goose island- rare (of course) vanilla, bramble, and cherry,
Cantillon- any
Sierra nevada- barrel aged bigfoot
Cigar city- any of their sours.
Crooked stave- any of the brett series
Fiftyfifty- any of the eclipse
Mikkeller- mexas ranger
Westvleteren- any

Added a few more that I forgot!

I need to get my posts up so I can start granting wishes. I can do most of everyone's wish lists!

yoitsluke said:
I need to get my posts up so I can start granting wishes. I can do most of everyone's wish lists!

Your almost there. Go help some people in the beginners section, you'll get 17 posts there in no time. Hope to see you jump in soon you sound like you have some great potential to be a MAW contributor.

Yeah I've made trades with a lot of guys on here so I'll get my posts up and start granting wishes

For anyone looking to bump their post count without just posting inane comments, click on the "My Account" link and then "Unanswered Threads" (this is on the desktop website, not the app) This will give you a list of threads that have no response yet - and perhaps you can find someone asking a question/opinion on something you can answer. It is a good way to contribute and help someone who may have asked a question that just got lost in the normal ebb and flow of this site.)

I made like 50 posts through out the day yesterday. It ranged from throwing in my .02 on posts to small talk. I feel equally good with getting to 100 posts and thinking that I probably helped someone out along the way. I feel more part of the community and want to get more involved each day.

Back