3 Gal BIAB IPA - help plan final steps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfriend54

Reaction score
Hello!

I have brewed a 3 gallon batch of IPA using BIAB method. I used a local home brewshop's Stone IPA clone recipe cut down for a 3 gal BIAB batch and the grains were double crushed for the BIAB.

Everything went well during the mash and boil, and got it transferred to a 3 gallon glass carboy and pitched White Labs WLP001 Califirnia Ale yeast. The only step I missed was measuring the OG ...

About 8-10 hours after pitching the yeast, a vigorous primary fermentation took off. I used a blow-off tube into a smaller 1 gallon jug. After about 2 days when things subsided I replaced the blow-off tube with sanitized airlock.

Now I'm trying to decide what steps to take next. I had planned on racking to a secondary (plastic 3 gallon Better Bottle) and I want to dry hop it, but been reading some conflicting statements about the wisdom or need for secondary racking. Or perhaps just leave it in the primary and dry hop there?

I also read some advice about cold crashing the carboy (in a refrigerator) to clear the beer prior to bottling? I have 12 flip top pints a nice flip top growler I plan on bottling in.

Anyway, I am looking for solid advice to formulate my final steps. This Friday (April 5) will be 1 week in the primary. The beer is looking pretty good...can't wait to try it! :D

Here's a pic of the carboy and a link to an apple .MOV file of the fermenting action

ipa.JPG

http://www.bbenderguitars.com/images/beer/ipa.MOV

Thanks!

I brew 2.5 gl batches and I do everything in the primary. Usually fermentation is pretty much done by 7 days then I dry hop for 3-4 days with pellets just dumped in the primary then cold crash for about 3-4 days before transfering into my kegs. The cold crash will make the hops and suspended yeast compact in the bottom and make it easier to rack out of your carboy.

I'd be curious what responses you'll get regarding bottle conditioning in the growler. My understanding is that that is not real safe, as they may be thinner walled than typical bottles. Have you ever done that before?

Malty_Dog said:
I'd be curious what responses you'll get regarding bottle conditioning in the growler. My understanding is that that is not real safe, as they may be thinner walled than typical bottles. Have you ever done that before?

No I have not. It's a pretty hefty growler I got from Stone Brewery. I've read that the screw cap bottles usually are not strong enough. I'm just thinking ahead since ill probably wind up with more beer than will fit in my twelve 16 oz flip top bottles.

BTW How long does it take to carbonate in bottles?

I think most folks would say approx 2 weeks @70-ish degrees is normal, but it could take 3 or more depending on the beer. My recent oatmeal stout was flat after 1 week, lightly carbed after 2, and fully carbed after 3. My recent brown ale was done is 2 weeks. I've read a zillion posts about carbing and it's a hot-button issue for some, but basically I've seen Yooper refer to 2 weeks being pretty normal for a moderate gravity beer.

Those fliptops are cool - I have a few. I have a growler from Victory which is pretty nice too, but I'm afraid to try carbing anything in it. I like it too much. :)

Back