Back with an update and a question :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckylou

Reaction score
Hey guys, I had my first brewday roughly 3 weeks ago this month (on the 7th) and made a post about it for people to see/give feedback :) anyways

My brew had gone through some healthy fermentation these past 2 weeks and I decided to let it sit for another week, just so my yeasties could really clear up anything. The 3rd week timer rang this morning and I took my first ever gravity reading and it was exciting!

I of course sanitized my turkey baster and the lid of the bucket, took my reading, and closed her right up. It smelled really good and there was trub around the rim of the beer line.

My question is: should I get a spoon and kinda scrape the trub back into the bucket or leave it alone? My instinct tells me to leave it alone but I wanna make sure.

After I jotted down my reading I, of course, drank my sample and lets just say its been a long time since I felt this sense of pride :rockin:

Once my brew is done completely, I'll be back with an update and let yall know how it went! :mug: Cheers!

Don't scrape it back down. I have been told here the stuff that forms when the krausen falls can lead to off flavors. And to avoid pushing back into the beer to help minimize what falls back down into your beer. Idk just what I've heard. I'm a newb so don't trust me 100%

Scrape a small amount of it onto a sanitised teaspoon and taste it. Then report back about whether or not you want to scrape it into your beer..

Leave it, you're going to see that almost everytime you brew. It's just the residue left behind by the krausen you've developed while fermenting. Just for future knowledge the trub is what's left behind at the bottom of the fermenter after everything has settled to the bottom, and the krausen is a product of fermentation that you see on top of your brew. I'm sure you know that already though.

Latest posts

Back