Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SS_Brewing_Co said:
All triclover. Still need to pipe water to the tube and shell chiller and need to pipe the gas line for the jet burners

That tube and shell chiller looks like a repurposed shotgun condenser. Pretty slick looking rig.

All triclover. Still need to pipe water to the tube and shell chiller and need to pipe the gas line for the jet burners

Nice build, but I have to say the frame span looks too long.
Measure the distance from the ground to to the top rail, fill the center kettle with water and measure again. This will give you a base idea of the deflection. The steel will soften significantly with the burners you chose. We had a customer who modified his stand and put over-sized burners on it, The frame was glowing red. Also, be sure to mount those burners at least 12" below the kettles.

Thanks guys I appreciate the compliments. I worked out all the kinks on this one from my last system. I have a frame just like this but with 25 gallon pots and I have not had any problems with it yet. I had it full to the rim with water and grain and it didn't bow at all. I do plan to put heat shields around the burners.

A work on progress, but finished enough to show off. I still need to plumb up my herms coil and the other pump, finish my bottom drain mash keggle and get the boil probe installed. Both burners are controlled with Honeywell hot surface ignition modules and Robert shaw combination gas valves.

image-1871872847.jpg

image-3043025207.jpg

image-3221655670.jpg

image-386886124.jpg

image-3603085990.jpg

Now that the pump box is finished the brew rig takes a new form.
20130407_120844_zpsc0bdfdfc.jpg

Hi all, new poster to this forum. Here's my new 4v HERMS nearing completion.

There's some very nice rigs in this thread. And some innovative ideas.

Cheers,
Cam.

20130406_140554.jpg

Hi all, new poster to this forum. Here's my new 4v HERMS nearing completion.

There's some very nice rigs in this thread. And some innovative ideas.

Cheers,
Cam.

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question: What is that corny keg looking thing hanging down between the left and middle keg?

^^^^
I can't answer for Camo6, but it sure looks like a heat exchanger to me. Some guys will take old corny kegs that won't hold pressure anymore and chop the top. You can mount an electric heating element vertically in the bottom and run a coil inside. It is a HERMS system. The plus side to it is instead of using a 15.5 gallon keg as a HLT/HERMS combination, you can just heat 3-4 gallons of water and make some pretty quick steps in the mash temp.

Yeah Old-E, like posted above its the HERMS heat exchange. A piece of 150mm stainless pipe, 12mm stainless coil approx 3m in length, and a kettle element. Allows reasonably quick ramp speeds of about 1.3 degree celsius per minute and with the separate vessel you can control mash temp and HLT temp independantly. Sorry for lack of conversion skills, I'm a metric boy born and bred.
Very jealous of the range of brewing ingredients and equipment you have in the states. We have a few good suppliers in Australia but nowhere near the range and the delivery is a killer from the US.

I can finally post something up here as I just finished (well except for a few bits and pieces...) my brew rig. Got a two vessle setup at the moment. Background - I am going from this
imgp78281-59418.jpg

To this
p11600851-59419.jpg

Details:
Pump "skid", this is not attached to the frame and will end up hanging vertically during storage so the pump fully drains.
p11600861-59420.jpg

HEx mounting, again HEx will be removed for storage (lift up then slid out) so it can fully drain.
p11600871-59421.jpg

Got the inlaws coming down next week, break in brew will be Orfy's Hobgoblin II clone.
Cheers!

I dig those mounts, especially the chiller mount. Nice work!

Thanks Jammin. You don't know how long I sat around trying to come up with something that in the end was so simple!
Still got a few things to sort out:
Control panel mounting - Dont' know if this will be permantly attached to the frame or if I'll just sit it on a table/something nearby.
Casters - At first I thought that since this will be stored in the garage and taken outside (down a step or two) to brew I wouldn't need casters. Now I got everything sitting on there and winter is approaching over here I think I might reorganise my garage (again) so I can set this up by the window and brew indoors (or get a extraction fan kit).
Cheers! :mug:

8 weeks from Concept.....design.....build.....Parts were sourced from ebay, amazon, craigslist, and local vendors. Total cost was about $1350 which included $150 to powdercoat the frame. Have brewed 8-10 batches on it since Jan. Quite pleased with it!

brewing sculpture.jpg

KBC.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

So this is my Brew Bench that my boys and I came up with. It's a common design but I like it as it is designed with the garage brewer in mind!

We added provisions so that the kettles are tight to the bench but can un-clamp fast for easy cleaning.

We only have a few more details to finish as overall we want everything that has to do with this bench and brewing to fit within the footprint of the bench. That means everything stores on the bench so that it isn't scattered all over the place. Then put the cover on and push it into the corner of that garage.

Next is process control design. Our intentions are that you can run this with your iPhone, Android, or tablet. We intend to sell these in the future.

ResizeBrewBench.jpg

So this is my Brew Bench that my boys and I came up with. It's a common design but I like it as it is designed with the garage brewer in mind!

We added provisions so that the kettles are tight to the bench but can un-clamp fast for easy cleaning.

We only have a few more details to finish as overall we want everything that has to do with this bench and brewing to fit within the footprint of the bench. That means everything stores on the bench so that it isn't scattered all over the place. Then put the cover on and push it into the corner of that garage.

Next is process control design. Our intentions are that you can run this with your iPhone, Android, or tablet. We intend to sell these in the future.

ResizeBrewBench.jpg
Where did you get your kettles?

Made from 100% materials headed for the dumpster at work. Base measures 18" x 40". Didn't cost a penny. only took 3 hours to build. :D Love this hobby! I have since reinforced the mash tun tier with 45's.

2012-04-28_13-33-20_758.jpg

ResizeBrewBench.jpg

I would like to know about the kettles as well. The stand looks great also.

Made from 100% materials headed for the dumpster at work. Base measures 18" x 40". Didn't cost a penny. only took 3 hours to build. :D Love this hobby! I have since reinforced the mash tun tier with 45's.

Good job with the stand, I am always trying to repurpose things for brewing.

I would like to know about the kettles as well. The stand looks great also.

These are Bayou Classic 8 gallon kettles. They come in larger sizes as well. They make two different kinds of kettles. The ones with the rolled ridge at the bottom are much nicer and if you use a false bottom it rests on this ridge.

I saved a lot of money buying them from walmart.com online. They are not light duty and they come with weldless hardware and a stainless valve.

Hope this helps!

These are Bayou Classic 8 gallon kettles. They come in larger sizes as well. They make two different kinds of kettles. The ones with the rolled ridge at the bottom are much nicer and if you use a false bottom it rests on this ridge.

I saved a lot of money buying them from walmart.com online. They are not light duty and they come with weldless hardware and a stainless valve.

Hope this helps!

Damn...not available from Wally world right now

Damn...not available from Wally world right now

They are available online at WalMart....all the way up to 40.5 gallon for $499!
(Full disclaimer: I do not have a reciprocal agreement with WalMart, however, I do have a very small ownership stake in WalMart...as in, if I sold my shares I could probably buy a few shopping carts with the proceeds).

They are available online at WalMart....all the way up to 40.5 gallon for $499!
(Full disclaimer: I do not have a reciprocal agreement with WalMart, however, I do have a very small ownership stake in WalMart...as in, if I sold my shares I could probably buy a few shopping carts with the proceeds).

Or you can buy them straight from Bayou Classic. They even have them on their website under a "Homebrewing" tab.

http://www.bayouclassiccooking.com/homebrewing1.html

Looks like the kind nvrstck has is available in 8, 10 and 16 gallons. There is a different model that is offered anywhere from 24qt to 162qt.

Latest posts

Back