Mashing Acid Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rinhaak

Reaction score
If I'm going to be using some Acid Malt in an upcoming all-grain recipe (about 5%), can I mash it as normal? I seem to recall I'm not supposed to, but now I can't find any sources that say otherwise.

You can mash it with everything else. I use it frequently at 2-5% of total grist for mash pH adjustment. At percentages that small, it adjusts pH only and has no flavor impact. From what I have read, it's not until you get to 10% or higher that it begins to impart that acidic "tang" that might be appropriate in say, a Guinness clone

Yea mash in as normal. If you are able to measure the ph of the mash 5 minutes after mashing in, then you can add more to bring it down if needed.

The acid malt is going to lower the mash ph. If you want that to happen, go ahead and mash it. If you don't want that to happen, add it right at the end of the mash after conversion has taken place.

Back