Alabama Homebrew Legislation 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got this email from Right to Brew. Folks, if you live in Alabama, please help out!

The Alabama Homebrew Bill, HB9, was reported favorably by the Senate Job Creation and Economic Development Committee yesterday afternoon. The next step is for the whole Senate to vote on it. If HB9 gets approved by the Senate, then it goes to the governor to sign into law!

But first, it must be chosen out of the large stack of available bills to be placed on the Senate's agenda for a vote. The Senate Rules Committee defines each day's agenda on what is called a Special Order Calendar. In fact, there will be only eight more Legislative Days left in the session for HB9 to be placed on a Special Order Calendar. Those days will span about the next month's time, but this means we have only 8 more opportunities to earn our Right To Brew....

So, what can you do to help? Contact some or all members of the Alabama Senate Rules Committee and politely ask them to please allow HB9 to get a vote by placing it on a Special Order Calendar as soon as possible. Last year's Homebrew Bill died because the Senate never brought it up for a vote. We must not let that happen again this year!

The following senators constitute the Rules Committee. You will be surprised how quickly you can go through the list of phone numbers, one by one, asking the senators' assistants who answer something like, "Please allow HB9, the Homebrew Bill, to get its chance for a vote by placing it on a Special Order Calendar." Or, if you prefer, several of the senators have email addresses listed.

Thank you all for helping pass HB9, the Alabama Homebrew Bill!

Senate Rules Committee Members
------------------------------
Senator Jabo Waggoner, Chair
(334) 242-7892
[email protected]

Senator Jimmy Holley, Vice Chair
(334) 242-7845

Senator Scott Beason
(334) 242-7794

Senator Roger Bedford
(334) 242-7862
[email protected]

Senator Gerald Dial
(334) 242-7874

Senator Priscilla Dunn
(334) 242-7793

Senator Vivian Figures
(334) 242-7871
[email protected]

Senator Rusty Glover
(334) 242-7886

Senator Tammy Irons
(334) 242-7888
[email protected]

Senator Arthur Orr
(334) 242-7891
http://www.arthurorr.com/contact

Senator Trip Pittman
(334) 242-7897
[email protected]

Senator Paul Sanford
(334) 242-7867
[email protected]

Senator Clay Scofield
(334) 242-7876
[email protected]

Senator Paul Bussman
(334) 242-7855
[email protected]

Although I must admit, I do wonder if it matters whether you're from the constituency or even a resident for calling and asking for it on the calendar to be honest. Previous votes have been pushed through with tons of calls from Mississippi and while I can't say that affected the vote, I can't help but feel that it did considering the number of calls the secretaries taking them are handling and I'd wager they're not really taking down the phone numbers. I could be wrong though.

In any event, the above contains the phone numbers and some of the email addresses for some of the representatives on the Senate Rules Committee to supplement CVGT's post.

Although I must admit, I do wonder if it matters whether you're from the constituency or even a resident for calling and asking for it on the calendar to be honest. Previous votes have been pushed through with tons of calls from Mississippi and while I can't say that affected the vote, I can't help but feel that it did considering the number of calls the secretaries taking them are handling and I'd wager they're not really taking down the phone numbers. I could be wrong though.

In any event, the above contains the phone numbers and some of the email addresses for some of the representatives on the Senate Rules Committee to supplement CVGT's post.

Do you think that some out of country mails could help your cause? (From South Africa)

Do you think that some out of country mails could help your cause? (From South Africa)

After listening to the House debate, I'm not sure these Alabama polititians know what South Africa is, so go ahead.

Really though, people should listen to the house debate (I heard it on basic brewing radio, but I'm sure there are other ways). After hearing it you'll understand how ignorant those state legislators are. And it's not just in Alabama, we need to take a look at who we put in office...

I think we all tend to underestimate how powerful the Church is in this state.

When a question in the House is, "What does ALCAP think of this bill?" we should see the writing on the wall.

Politics in this state are controlled by self-righteous Bible thumpers imposing their beliefs on the rest of us.

Yes, there are a handful of days left. I have the list of numbers written down which I call daily.

I've not seen anything from Huff in a few days to say yay or nay although I believe someone was told we'd get it in on the last day if at all.

Sent my letters and made my calls. Sanford's email was returned as everyone said. Received a quick form response from Pittman saying 'I will give your e-mail the serious consideration it deserves.' Tammy Irons sent a quick response from her Blackberry saying that she supports the bill and will vote yes.

I'll continue to follow up with those that don't respond. It's going to suck if this doesn't happen. I really want to be able to brew outdoors without worrying about nosy neighbors or the police driving by wondering what I'm cooking up in my big pot.

I've got nothing certain to add. We don't know anything that you guys don't. We have reached out to Holtzclaw but he hasn't really responded.

I'm making my calls and sending my e-mails daily. That's all we can do at this point.

I think we have 7 Legislative Days left.

Sent my letters and made my calls. Sanford's email was returned as everyone said. Received a quick form response from Pittman saying 'I will give your e-mail the serious consideration it deserves.' Tammy Irons sent a quick response from her Blackberry saying that she supports the bill and will vote yes.

That's a positive thing. She was one of the unknowns (so far as the FTH website goes), so that's one more for us on that committee.

That is encouraging. She also said 'GOP supermajority leadership needs to put on calendar for a vote!'

Guys,

The Right To Brew folks have taken a position on the lack of activity in the Senate.

Our ONLY hope at this point is to aggravate the crap out of the Senators on the Rules committee. We have to let them know that if they don't give us a vote this session, we are going to be back next year and we are going to be just as aggravating.

CALL EACH MEMBER OF THE SENATE RULES COMMITTEE EVERY DAY. TELL THEM YOU WANT A VOTE ON HB9.

When you get off the phone, sit down and send every one of them an e-mail. We have to do this EVERY DAY.

Call YOUR Senator and ask them how they stand on HB9. Ask them for their help in getting the Rules Committee to place it on the SOC. Remind them that you Vote and that you are in their district. DO THIS DAILY.

Call YOUR Representative and ask them to call any friends they have in the Senate and ask for their help in Getting HB9 to the floor. Remind them that you Vote and that you are in their district. (No need to do this daily, but a call every now and then would be fine.)

Get your Wife to call. Get your Mom to call. Get your Dad to call. Get your Friends to call. Get your Boss to call. Get your Employees to call. Anyone who would be impacted by you being convicted of a FELONY for making beer should call! They have a right to voice their opinion.

If you use Twitter of Facebook, look up these guys. Some of them have accounts. Light their wall up with Homebrewing Info. Ask them to support HB9. We have to be relentless.

Senator Jabo Waggoner, Chair
(334) 242-7892
[email protected]

Senator Jimmy Holley, Vice Chair
(334) 242-7845

Senator Scott Beason
(334) 242-7794

Senator Roger Bedford
(334) 242-7862
[email protected]

Senator Gerald Dial
(334) 242-7874

Senator Priscilla Dunn
(334) 242-7793

Senator Vivian Figures
(334) 242-7871
[email protected]

Senator Rusty Glover
(334) 242-7886

Senator Tammy Irons
(334) 242-7888
[email protected]

Senator Arthur Orr
(334) 242-7891
http://www.arthurorr.com/contact

Senator Trip Pittman
(334) 242-7897
[email protected]

Senator Paul Sanford
(334) 242-7867

Senator Clay Scofield
(334) 242-7876
[email protected]

Senator Paul Bussman
(334) 242-7855
[email protected]

Responded to the email Senator Irons sent in response to my request and stated concern that we would not see passage this year. She feels that the votes are there, but the hurdle will be getting leadership to put it on the calendar.

Responded to the email Senator Irons sent in response to my request and stated concern that we would not see passage this year. She feels that the votes are there, but the hurdle will be getting leadership to put it on the calendar.

She is exactly right. We need to pressure our Senators, who we vote for, to put pressure on the Rules Committee.

Keep calling your Senator, asking for an update on any conversations they have had with members of the committee. Ask them if they will speak with the Chair. Remind them you Vote and that this is a critical issue for you. Should you be convicted under this archaic law, you will no longer be able to vote for them! Leave your phone number and ask them to call you and let you know anything that you can do.

Even if your Senator fully supports the bill, keep the pressure on them. Ask them Who on the Committee is blocking the bill. Ask them to speak with that person. HOUND HOUND HOUND.

We tried to be nice and not nag, they refused to act. It's time to become that guy that everyone pretends to not see in the grocery store!

Many of them are not aware this is a felony. I use this line each time I call:

"I can become a convicted felon for participating in a hobby that is legal under federal law as well as under state law in 49 other states. Please see that HB9 gets an opportunity to be voted on by the Senate."

If you have an out-of-state cell phone, I'd recommend getting a free Google voice number so that your call has an Alabama area code (205, 251, 256, 334) on caller ID. This way the Senator's office knows you're calling from Alabama, and not just someone on a Internet forum supporting your Alabama brethren. I know lots of folks who live in this state but still use cell phones with out of state numbers.

Just saying...

Would it help, in my conversations, to let them know I am a clergyperson? My thinking being that not all Christians are against this, but maybe they don't know it.

Has FTH or anyone else sent them information about homebrewing as a hobby and art? I get the impression that many think it's akin to moonshine, done for a cheap, fast drunk, and that's not true. I don't want to come across as patronizing, but someone needs to let these folks know what's really at stake.

Would it help, in my conversations, to let them know I am a clergyperson? My thinking being that not all Christians are against this, but maybe they don't know it.

Has FTH or anyone else sent them information about homebrewing as a hobby and art? I get the impression that many think it's akin to moonshine, done for a cheap, fast drunk, and that's not true. I don't want to come across as patronizing, but someone needs to let these folks know what's really at stake.

Everything has the potential to help...

That being said, the "Right to Brew" folks have worked hard to get info to the Senators. The ones left that don't support it, probably aren't going to ever support it (will vote no to any evil alcohol bill).

All our focus now should be getting it to actually come up for a vote. It has to be added to the Special Order Calender (SOC) in order to make it to the floor for a vote. I've personally received emails from both Republican and Democratic Senators stating that they believe it will pass. The problem is, it has to be voted on in order to pass.

Senator Irons replied to an email I sent her today, stating that the Republican super-majority (and the committee head Waggoner specifically) had most of the power to determine what makes the calendar. Calls should definitely be focused on them.

As Richard said, it can't hurt. Let them know that ALCAP does NOT represent your interests!

There you go applying logic to an illogical place! : ) Honestly, the folks that don't support it likely don't care to be educated. If you haven't listed to some of the House debate, it's worth it.

Rep 1: This will allow 4000 gallons of moonshine per adult in the house! You should all vote no!

Sponsor: No, that's not right. It will allow 15 gallons max. And moonshine is illegal federally. Personal consumption of beer, wine, mead. That's it.

Rep 1: Yeah, that's right! 4000 gallons a PIECE. And they can sell it too!

It's not that they aren't listening, or that they don't understand. It's that they need to grandstand and make a big show so they can tell their constituents they tried their hardest. They also hope that there might be another person that doesn't know that they can sway with misinformation.

Makes sense.

Is there a way I can tell how my representative voted on it? I've found this, which if you click history and then "Roll 239", it looks as though he voted no. (Ken Johnson, R-Moulton). But I'm not sure if I'm reading it right.

Makes sense.

Is there a way I can tell how my representative voted on it? I've found this, which if you click history and then "Roll 239", it looks as though he voted no. (Ken Johnson, R-Moulton). But I'm not sure if I'm reading it right.

Doesn't really matter at this point if Johnson voted for it or against it (unless it doesn't pass the Senate this year).

It's already passed the house by a fairly large margin. Most folks think it will pass the Senate if they actually vote on it.

All of our energy should be focused on telling the Senate to add it to the Calendar and vote on it.

KingRichard said:
Doesn't really matter at this point if Johnson voted for it or against it (unless it doesn't pass the Senate this year).

It's already passed the house by a fairly large margin. Most folks think it will pass the Senate if they actually vote on it.

All of our energy should be focused on telling the Senate to add it to the Calendar and vote on it.

According to the right to brew website it passed the senate a few years ago.

True, but I keep up with things like this come election time. I emailed him and specifically asked for his support on this. There's a lot that goes into choosing a candidate, and this is one piece of the puzzle.

Makes sense.

Yes, you are reading it right. Your Rep voted no.

According to the right to brew website it passed the senate a few years ago.

It did. If only it didn't have to do the whole process in one legislative session we would be done!

Yeah... once the session is over for the year, every bill has to start all over again. This year, it's passed the house committee, the full house, and the senate committee. It still has to make the senate's full chamber calendar and pass the senate, then it has to be signed by the Governor. The whole veto and pocket veto thing in Alabama is weird too. See this link if you really want to get confused....

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/misc/legislativeprocess/legislativeprocess_ml.html

It just seems really wrong (but gives the reps "work") to have all bills killed at the end of year. How does this help anything? Can the govenor kill a bill he does not like just by "not getting the time to sign it"?

mattd2 said:
It just seems really wrong (but gives the reps "work") to have all bills killed at the end of year. How does this help anything? Can the govenor kill a bill he does not like just by "not getting the time to sign it"?

You describe a pocket veto. That is legal on Alabama (not every state has this).

Pocket vetoes in AL only occur at the end of the session. Read the link from KingRichard for exact details.

You describe a pocket veto. That is legal on Alabama (not every state has this).

Pocket vetoes in AL only occur at the end of the session. Read the link from KingRichard for exact details.

Yeah I just read it after I posted :D
Still don't get the 1 year thing?

I suspect it's very common for state legislative rules to punt any business that isn't concluded successfully at the end of the session and start over again with the next session.

To be honest, I have no idea where the idea came from, or why...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
I suspect it's very common for state legislative rules to punt any business that isn't concluded successfully at the end of the session and start over again with the next session.

To be honest, I have no idea where the idea came from, or why...

Cheers!

It is supposed to be VERY hard to pass a law. It's how we protect our liberty. Unfortunately, Alabamian liberty is not being protected in this case.

I emailed everyone again (Sanford's email still bouncing, of course). Will be making calls today.

I also posted this again on the /r/homebrewing sub at reddit.

Folks, we're down to five legislative days. Really push the issue, or we have zero chance of being legal this year.

Got an email reply from Senator Irons.

I do support this and will vote yes! The leadership needs to put it on a calendar for a vote! Let me know if you need anything else.

Tammy

Senator Irons is the only one I've received a direct response from. I've received three responses from Pittman that indicate he most likely didn't read the email. I'm sure y'all have received the same response from him. Will try again today.

Had this post to my thread at reddit from TTUDude:

We may be making some progress.... Here's the conversation I just had with Sen. Waggoner's assistant:

Me: "Yes I'm calling to ask that HB9 be placed on the SOC before we run out of day..."

Assistant: "Let me stop you there. You need to speak with the 'Rules Clerk' Sue Spears, She's with Senator Beason's office, let me transfer you"

Got voicemail for Senator Beason then and left a message. It sounded like Waggoner's assistant had been receiving several calls about the SOC today... Hoping they were for HB9.

Anyway... It sounds like we may want to concentrate a bit on Sue Spears (Beason's office assistant and the "Rules Clerk". That number: (334) 242-7794

So, there's another number to call, and possibly, a good sign.

Got an email reply from Senator Irons.

I do support this and will vote yes! The leadership needs to put it on a calendar for a vote! Let me know if you need anything else.

Tammy

Yes there is something else you can do for us, Tammy. Prod the leadership intp putting it on the calendar. :drunk:

We may be making some progress.... Here's the conversation I just had with Sen. Waggoner's assistant:

Me: "Yes I'm calling to ask that HB9 be placed on the SOC before we run out of day..."

Assistant: "Let me stop you there. You need to speak with the 'Rules Clerk' Sue Spears, She's with Senator Beason's office, let me transfer you"

Got voicemail for Senator Beason then and left a message. It sounded like Waggoner's assistant had been receiving several calls about the SOC today... Hoping they were for HB9.

Anyway... It sounds like we may want to concentrate a bit on Sue Spears (Beason's office assistant and the "Rules Clerk". That number: (334) 242-7794

Just called Waggoner's office and the assistant tried to transfer me. Nobody picked up.

Calling again...

Edit: No answer. No answering machine.

Senator Irons exhanged several emails with me. She suggested to me - and to another of the reddit users - that we also contact Senator Marsh, the President Pro Tem of the Senate.

Del Marsh
Phone: (334) 242-7877
Address: Room 722, 11 South Union Street, Montgomery, AL 36130
You can send a message to him HERE.

I called and left a message with Marsh's polite assistant. A call to Waggoner got me transferred to the rules clerk in Beason's office. She sounded less than thrilled to take my message.

C'mon, people - let's flood the phone lines.

Okay, called everyone today. Dunn's voice mail is not hooked up, and Irons didn't answer (and had no voice mail).

I'll do the email + call thing again tomorrow.

Most of the offices were very cordial. One or two, not so much. Oh, well.

Back