So whaddaya think of this 2000 watt pot boiler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pagerage

Reaction score
So to start things off, I'm looking at using a couple of these along with a kitchen burner for partial mashes of 11 gallon batches. They will will be partial boils with a start of around 8 gallons. These are built to run off 240.

image-1352736810.jpg

Now before ya freak out too much, these are made in Ukraine, and I will be living in Ukraine. My job keeps me in 3rd world countries so 220-240 is no problem. And I am oh so used to being careful with 3rd world realities. For example google "shower shocker". That's how I took a hot shower for the last two years!

Anyway, not sure exactly what my next stove will be, but I assume a low to mid grade gas type. What do y'all think of adding a couple of these to 8-10 gallons? Any of you have experience with them? They can be found on eBay not for $19 but I think I can pick em up for $2-3 in country.

When did Ukraine become 3rd world?

Are you sure that is 2000w? Typically those immersion heaters are used to boil water in a mug for your tea.

Are you sure that is 2000w? Typically those immersion heaters are used to boil water in a mug for your tea.

I agree, 200 Watts is more likely. The coul parts is not much larger than the plug end.

orangehero said:

Whoa! I never said Ukraine was 3rd world! I said my job keeps me in the 3rd world. This is actually gonna be a pretty sweet post! Relatively speaking. But it is a developing country. Really should use that language anyway :)

But back to the heater. Yup it is over 12" long 240V, 2000W. Basically a jacked up version of the little mug type. The reason why I mentioned I'm outside of the USA is the plug that comes with it is no problem (as well as the ungrounded = sketchy factor)

Here's one on eBay now but like I said I'll buy them over there

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300885205310?redirect=mobile

MalFet said:
You had showers? Not third world. ;)

Don't get me wrong, Ive been happy as heck to use one of the shocker showers. But you'd wonder what the tingling on your head was during a shower. Oh I got too close to the head and was getting shocked! With some, we'd see who could hold their hand closest up the stream of water! Yup, pretty stupid

image-1033456520.jpg

image-547551347.jpg

Whoa! I never said Ukraine was 3rd world! I said my job keeps me in the 3rd world. This is actually gonna be a pretty sweet post! Relatively speaking. But it is a developing country. Really should use that language anyway :)

But back to the heater. Yup it is over 12" long 240V, 2000W. Basically a jacked up version of the little mug type. The reason why I mentioned I'm outside of the USA is the plug that comes with it is no problem (as well as the ungrounded = sketchy factor)

Here's one on eBay now but like I said I'll buy them over there

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300885205310?redirect=mobile

I read the eBay listing and I still don't believe it's 2000 watts. Please measure the resistance across the plug prongs & let us know. 2000 watts should be about 9 ohms.

tphjr said:
I read the eBay listing and I still don't believe it's 2000 watts. Please measure the resistance across the plug prongs & let us know. 2000 watts should be about 9 ohms.

Sure! It'll be July/Aug by the time I get there. My Russian instructor (who is Ukrainian) actually recognized it as something his mom had used to boil larger pots when he was a kid.

It looks like the German "Schuko" type plug which they use there (or the older soviet type which was a reverse engineered version). And I think most common plugs are 10A 250V or 16A 250V which would give 2500-4000 watts depending on the circuit. It's a possibility and for $4-$5 I'll be game to find out. Of course they'll be dangerous as hell & electrify the water but my pot is aluminum and I'll be careful!

But, what do you think if these in fact are 2000 W at piece, two of these hanging in 8 to 10 gallons should help decrease my boiled time on rangetop quite a bit, correct? Maybe boil on their own? I'll be in an apartment so propane is a no go.

Sure! It'll be July/Aug by the time I get there. My Russian instructor (who is Ukrainian) actually recognized it as something his mom had used to boil larger pots when he was a kid.

It looks like the German "Schuko" type plug which they use there (or the older soviet type which was a reverse engineered version). And I think most common plugs are 10A 250V or 16A 250V which would give 2500-4000 watts depending on the circuit. It's a possibility and for $4-$5 I'll be game to find out. Of course they'll be dangerous as hell & electrify the water but my pot is aluminum and I'll be careful!

But, what do you think if these in fact are 2000 W at piece, two of these hanging in 8 to 10 gallons should help increase my boiled time on rangetop quite a bit, correct? Maybe boil on their own? I'll be in an apartment so propane is a no go.

If they really are 2000 watts you will need to run 240V power. And this is generally a no-go in an apartment & very expensive in your house.

You are better off with one of these that you can plug into your kitchen power outlet.
http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/me...e=W&Product_Code=120V_HEL&Category_Code=EBREW

Or build your own that you can plug into your kitchen power outlet like this guy did.
http://lovebrewingcompany.com/brewing/diy/heatstick/

tphjr said:
If they really are 2000 watts you will need to run 240V power. And this is generally a no-go in an apartment & very expensive in your house.

You are better off with one of these that you can plug into your kitchen power outlet.
http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code=120V_HEL&Category_Code=EBREW

Or build your own that you can plug into your kitchen power outlet like this guy did.
http://lovebrewingcompany.com/brewing/diy/heatstick/

Thanks for the link. I have looked at those but since Ukraine, where I will be living, and most countries where I've lived or will live are 220 to 240 V it would be kind of useless for me unless I plug it into the converter. I have thought about making one but when I found these at this price, at least the price in Ukraine ($3), I figured it would be silly to build one if there something close to what I needed.

Thanks for the link. I have looked at those but since Ukraine, where I will be living, and most countries where I've lived or will live are 220 to 240 V it would be kind of useless for me unless I plug it into the converter. I have thought about making one but when I found these at this price, at least the price in Ukraine ($3), I figured it would be silly to build one if there something close to what I needed.

I understand, I was thinking of USA power when I commented. Your solution should work great anywhere where 240V power is standard.

tphjr said:
I understand, I was thinking of USA power when I commented. Your solution should work great anywhere where 240V power is standard.

No worries! I was hoping somebody on the forum had actually used these. Whether converted in the states or overseas. I'll try to find them when I get to Ukraine and hopefully they work. If they don't, I suppose I can build something with local parts there. Would probably be cheaper than here in the states anyway! :)

Back