5 Gallon brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2

Reaction score
I have 7.5 gallon brew pot. How much water should I use for a 5 gallon brew?

I usually do 6.5 gallons but have to be careful for boil overs

Do a test with water boiling for an hour to see what your boil off is around

If it were me IMHO, I boil 5gallons down to 4 gallons during the boil, then top off with clean water at the end.

Hmmm. I have similar questions. I just got a 30 quart turkey fryer today. I was thinking of adding less water to boil and then add a gallon of cool water into carboy afterwards.

Sorry for ganking your post dood!

mikescooling said:
If it were me IMHO, I boil 5gallons down to 4 gallons during the boil, then top off with clean water at the end.

Good suggestion especially if doing inside !

Depends, if your brewing extract I usually do 5 gal then top off because 6 gal in my 7.5 pot is just to close and you have to watch it like a hawk.

If your doing AG you have get your volumes down because if your gravity is to low or even what the reicpe calls for you can't add top off water because youu would water down the wort. Then I use a bigger pot so I am able to boil a full 6.5 gal

I have a 7.5 gall turkey fryer, I collect 6.5 gall for a 90 minute boil & stand there with a squirt bottle and someone with oven mitts ready to pull it off!

Hhmmmm. My buddy who got me into brewing does AG and uses a 7.5g fryer.... I do remember having to keep a close eye on it...

I've been doing 2 gal batches for a few months....maybe I'll jump it to four so I can use the fryer.

Yep it can be done you just have to watch it and not turn your back for a second. I just prefer to go to the bigger pot so I can clean the mash tun ect. during boil to save time

I would love a bigger put, unfortunately I do not have the money for it, the boil over scare only lasts 10-15 minutes, with a 90 minute boil there's still plenty of time do do almost anything else.

meltroha said:
I would love a bigger put, unfortunately I do not have the money for it, the boil over scare only lasts 10-15 minutes, with a 90 minute boil there's still plenty of time do do almost anything else.

As I grow my operation, I find the money is not as big of a factor as my fear of my wife.

I always do 6.5 gallon boils in my 7.5 gallon pot, and after an hour it's right around 5 gal. But yeah, you do have to watch it pretty closely to prevent boil overs.

Back