Lay down some juice on vaping.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've decided to take the plunge.

Been a moderate 1 sometimes + pack a day Marlboro Red/72's smoker for as long as I can remember. Started as a kid sneaking Swisher Sweets and Benson Hedges Full Flavor 100 Menthol (cough) from mom and pop when I was still pimpin' the Big O Huffy with a banana seat.

Fast Forward several decades later and I've two of my own. I've taken effort to keep my habit to myself but, they have noticed. My lungs feel heavy just thinking about another Marlboro and I've 6 packs left of a carton.

Time for something different.

After some reading and talking I opted for a Joyetech Oakly eGo-T 1100mah with low resistance clearomizer, custom made Tobacco flavored (60vg/40pg) juice at 36mg Nicotine strength. Also bought a mixed set of other tobacco flavored juices at the same nic strength & pg/vg ratio.

Now, I am skeptical, and still not quite "sold" (so to speak) on any improved health benifits of juice compared to smoking but, I also recognize that it's a bit silly to split hairs about poison.

I do hope that this will at least lay down some pavers to a road of no smoking and no nicotine in the near'ish future. In the short term, I figure at least I won't smell like an ashtray all the time and maybe my wife will take kindly to necking again since I won't taste like a cigarette butt either.

So, without further ado', let's hear some stories, good or bad, about YOUR experiences with eCigarettes. Please add some specifics like model of tool, brand, flavor, and strength of juice, and (if you know) what the PG/PEG/VG/DEG blend of the juice is or was.

You used the word "necking" in your post, and that, sir, is commendable. A man of such character should have not trouble kicking the habit.

Good luck.

Been using the nicstick (joytech) ego for about a month now with good results, haven't had a real cig since I started using it and really don't want one. I've seen where you can get all sorts of liquids/flavors online and was thinking of ordering some up just to keep it fresh. I'll post some links in a bit.

Good luck, you can do it. :mug:

I missed the necking part. I took Chantix, and it was very effective. Totally forgot about cigarettes. For real. Then I ran out of pills during a stressful time (dad died). I could have avoided the butts, if I had tried, though.
Major dream intensity on Chantix. I've never really had bad dreams, so my druggy dreams weren't a problem like they are for many people.
Good luck. I will also stop the cigs soon.

I missed the necking part. I took Chantix, and it was very effective. Totally forgot about cigarettes. For real. Then I ran out of pills during a stressful time (dad died). I could have avoided the butts, if I had tried, though.
Major dream intensity on Chantix. I've never really had bad dreams, so my druggy dreams weren't a problem like they are for many people.
Good luck. I will also stop the cigs soon.

Neither Chantix, Wellbutrin, or (I forget the name) did a damn thing for me aside from lighten my wallet since Insurance didn't cover.

eCig has done me right so far after a quick learning on how to draw on it. Have been a pack sometimes more a day smoker for a while and have only had 1 cig in the last two days. The eCig I think is giving more nic per smoke than a reg cig did.

I'm coming up on 1 year tobacco free. May 7th. I was a pack+ a day for 20+ years and I was having my last smoke when the fed ex guy delivered my eGo package. I've moved on from eGo's but I wanted to add my experience to this thread.

Vaping...works. It satisfies the throat hit...it satisfies the nicotine cravings and you will stop the hacking and coughing every morning when you wake up. It's not easy in the beginning. The first month or so is tough...but I promise...if I can do it...anyone can. You just have to have a reason to quit. For me it was to small girls. I want to see my daughters get married one day. You can do it. ;)

I'm coming up on 1 year tobacco free. May 7th. I was a pack+ a day for 20+ years and I was having my last smoke when the fed ex guy delivered my eGo package. I've moved on from eGo's but I wanted to add my experience to this thread.

Vaping...works. It satisfies the throat hit...it satisfies the nicotine cravings and you will stop the hacking and coughing every morning when you wake up. It's not easy in the beginning. The first month or so is tough...but I promise...if I can do it...anyone can. You just have to have a reason to quit. For me it was to small girls. I want to see my daughters get married one day. You can do it. ;)

Congratz! :mug:

What are you using now? Still on the ego here.

I quit for my kids. Cold turkey, haven't touched one in over 6 years.

I traded smoking (which I loved) for running. So, unlike a lot of people, I lost weight. I decided to run every time I got the craving, and I ran a lot. Dropped 20 pounds (hit the 150's). Over 1000 miles in a year.

I'd highly suggest trading the smoking habit for the exercise.

Headbanger:
The eGos worked great for me for about 9-10 months. I bought one of those twist eGos a few months back also and it was a lot better than the regular ones. You could dial in the wattage for what you attached to it.

They served me well, but the batteries started to not hold a charge all that long, so I opted for one of those Lavatube style ecigs. (18650 size batteries) I change out the battery once in a day while the other charges. Very happy with it and thank you for the kind words.

Passedpawn:
I couldn't agree with you more. I have the ankles of a 90 year old woman because of soccer injuries so I started racing bicycles back in my 20s. When I discovered smoking and drinking...pretty much gave up the exercise. I'm back to walking about 10-15 miles a week + hiking on the weekends with my kids. They love to geocache so we get out and go as much as we can.

I've been vaping for just over 2 years now. One day you'll get to this...

IMG_20130426_222333_zps66018157.jpg

Smoktech Natural with a Smoktech RSST Genny style rebuildable atty on top.

I've tried so many vaping setups it's ridiculous. My daily vape setup these days is a KeCig K100 telescoping mod with a Cisco Spec 306 atty in a DCA. That setup is super burly and stands up to being in my pocket all the time at work where I can get pretty physical lifting sacks of grain or jumping on and off the forklift. The setup pictured is my "at home" vape gear. The rebuildable attys don't usually handle being pocketed very well. You started vaping at an interesting time where good quality mods are getting really affordable. I mix my own juice as well which is much cheaper than buying ready made juice. If anybody has any vaping questions feel free to PM me. I'm always advocating for vaping. It changed my health for the better immediately...

I learned a lot just watch ol' pbusardo on youtube when I first started out. He's pretty entertaining for the most part. ;) He went through some rebuildable attys a while back, but I haven't looked through his channel in a while. There's a local shop here near Atlanta (Vaperite) that sells them, I've just been investing more in my brew equipment than my vaping gear lately ;)

I quit for my kids. Cold turkey, haven't touched one in over 6 years.

I traded smoking (which I loved) for running. So, unlike a lot of people, I lost weight. I decided to run every time I got the craving, and I ran a lot. Dropped 20 pounds (hit the 150's). Over 1000 miles in a year.

I'd highly suggest trading the smoking habit for the exercise.

Forgive me OP for OT, but I just wanted you and anyone else trying to quit to focus on the two excellent posts above. First and foremost, you really have to want to quit. Any and all methods work eventually when you are of that mindset. The point is to try to quit. Statistics show the average quitter takes 6-7 actual attempts to quit (an hour, a day, a week, etc). Secondly, figure out what kind of a smoker you are. Stress smoker, reward smoker, driving smoker, drinking smoker... etc. Most people are a combination of a couple, but finding the basic underlying trigger will allow you to do what passedpawn did, and quite literally sub out smoking for an activity of sorts (not always physical activity, but something). This is critical in the awkward downtime when a craving hits.

If I may add three quick points.

1. Ecigs do little to break the need/reward cycle. That is a big stumbling block. Sure, they are better than burning organic material, but most smokers will go to "a real one" when hit with a hard trigger. Consider the patch if you want to replace nicotine. It breaks up the need/reward cycle.

2. Do "mini quits". Pick a set time that you know you can do, add an hour or so on it, and do it. Go ahead and smoke after. Do a few of these. People trying to quit often have nothing but failure as their feedback to quitting. Having a few "I quit for X time, and did OK" under your belt seems to help.

3. There is no such thing as "just one cigarette".

:off:

Sorry to interject, I was a quit coach for a private contracted 1800-quitnow/State quit lines company for a while.

woknblues...you are correct on so many levels. I tried secession (sp?) classes from my HMO provider. They helped me find my trigger (stress), but did little in the way of keeping me from jumping back into the habit. There were people in the classes that were there to get off the patches, gums, tabs etc. Personally, I wanted off tobacco. I've moved from 16mg juice to 6mg juice in the past year and look forward to eventually moving to 0mg juice. I drink coffee and sodas with caffeine...it's not great for me, but in moderation it's not the end of the world...just like nicotine. At least I'm not getting the 2000 other chemical compounds.

It was that throat hit and inhale feeling that kept me going back to cigarettes. I've found a "safer alternative" with eCigs. I personally would recommend it as a tool for smoking over patches, gum tabs any day.

Just my 2¢ of course...but it helped me.

if I still smoked I would switch to ecigs or a high end vape. I quit just before my wife and I found out about her being pregnant, I got so horribly ill from smoking two packs in one night( having only smoked a single cig a day for months) that I never had another craving after.

I have done research on the vape pipes and such, and if I still wanted to smoke I would go with one of those. I hate the smell of tobacco now- gives me a major headache.

check out http://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette

good luck, I think you are better off quitting whole hog though, even vaping can give your kids ideas about smoking - something I hope my kids never do. Nicotine is still a dangerous substance - it does some weird stuff to your heart and brain.

either way, let us know - I love gadgets

Wow, what an appropriate bump...I'm thinking about the ecig approach and this just pushed me over the edge...wish me luck.

Wow, what an appropriate bump...I'm thinking about the ecig approach and this just pushed me over the edge...wish me luck.

Big Kudos to passedpawn for cold turkey. I tried that and couldn't do it. Anything to get you off tobacco is a step in the right direction. You can do it!

I picked up an ecig on thanksgiving 2010. haven't even wanted a cigarette since.
Currently using the Lavatube with 7 ml tank and homebrewed juice (go figure!)

Back