How long does cold crashing (really) take?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reuliss

Reaction score
I'm curious to see what everyone has to say about this. We hear about how cold crashing causes the yeast to floc much faster, thereby allowing us to get clear beer quicker without the need to filter. I'm curious how long it takes for this phenomenon to happen for most people. I understand that there are variables depending on the yeast strain, but it still feels to me like it's taking longer for my beers to clear up than it does for other on this forum and on the podcasts I listen to.

I use Cal Ale (White Labs) a bunch, and that stuff just won't drop. Takes forever. I also did an ESB recently with W002, which is supposed to be highly flocculent. Yet, 10 days at 34 degrees and there's still yeast there. I know the haze is yeast because I've been able to eliminate all other possible causes. For example, it's not chill haze, as the beer stays cloudy even at room temp. I know it's not starches because I test my mashes for full conversion. Also, although I dry hop, this isn't hop haze, as in my ESB example there are no dry hops.

Eventually the beer clears up, but it takes me significantly longer than three weeks from brew day. So, folks, how long does it take you once you toss that fermentor in the fridge/freezer?

With one brew I could see the 'line' as the yeast flocked. The smaller the particle the longer it will take to settle out. I've seen rates given for particle size somewhere but I have no clue where that was now.

For me, it varies widely. I've had some beers that have been virtually clear after 3 weeks of primary fermentation. Yooper's Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA clone, on the other hand, was a real headache to clear. After 3 weeks, it was still cloudy, so I racked to secondary and cold-crashed for a week (with gelatin) before adding the dry hops. I then warmed it back up to room temp and added the dry hops. After another week, it went back into the fridge, with some more gelatin. At this point, it was still pretty cloudy. However, by the time I racked it to the keg (6 weeks from brew day), it was finally clear.

Time and cold will eventually clear any beer. Gelatin/isinglass can speed it up a little, but can't work miracles on stubborn yeast.

For me, it varies widely. I've had some beers that have been virtually clear after 3 weeks of primary fermentation. Yooper's Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA clone, on the other hand, was a real headache to clear. After 3 weeks, it was still cloudy, so I racked to secondary and cold-crashed for a week (with gelatin) before adding the dry hops. I then warmed it back up to room temp and added the dry hops. After another week, it went back into the fridge, with some more gelatin. At this point, it was still pretty cloudy. However, by the time I racked it to the keg (6 weeks from brew day), it was finally clear.

Time and cold will eventually clear any beer. Gelatin/isinglass can speed it up a little, but can't work miracles on stubborn yeast.

Thanks for your feedback, Kombat. What yeast goes into that clone? At least I know I'm not alone that the yeasties can be stubborn sometimes.

Thanks for your feedback, Kombat. What yeast goes into that clone? At least I know I'm not alone that the yeasties can be stubborn sometimes.

Her recipe calls for Wyeast's Rogue Pac Man yeast, but I was unable to obtain it, so I just used Safale US-05. It came out great, I just had to be patient with the clearing.

I usually do 3 weeks in primary and cold crash 3 to 5 days. usually 3 days will do most beers even my most recent double IPA. i'm with Kombat, Time and cold. the yeasties will eventually drop out.

Back