Gas - when is it empty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40-Dan

Reaction score
So, is there a way to correlate the PSI in my tank with how long it will last? I think it was around 1500 when it was full. It is now at 600 with the redline starting at 500?

This is a 20lb steel cylinder (I think) with 80/20 N2/CO2 pushing Guinness. I'm a little ways into my 4th keg.

Thanks!

No, since the gas is a liquid in the cylinder, dispensed as a gas.

The only way to know what is in the tank is to weigh it. The tare weight is stamped on the cylinder, but of course if you've got a regulator and hoses on it it won't be accurate.

It seems like a co2 tank at room temperature will stay at like 800 psi forever, then drop to 0 when it's empty. One in the fridge will stay at 500 psi, until it's almost completely empty, then drop to 0 in a few minutes.

Thanks Yooper. That's kinda what I thought. It's all academic anyway, since I have a spare ready to hook up.

So, is there a way to correlate the PSI in my tank with how long it will last? I think it was around 1500 when it was full. It is now at 600 with the redline starting at 500?

This is a 20lb steel cylinder (I think) with 80/20 N2/CO2 pushing Guinness. I'm a little ways into my 4th keg.

Thanks!

Gas is always by weight set it on a scale mark your weight and check it when a keg kicks. Beergas go faster because of the higher pressure and lower amount of CO2

I'm not sure, but I believe beergas is in fact a gas, not a liquid like pure CO2. So yes, the tank pressure should directly correlate to the amount remaining in there.

Back