Barley wine dry out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcross13

Reaction score
Got my self a huge extract barley wine. starting gravity 1.120. After a month took gravity reading 1.048. hoping it will dry out at least one more point. Is this possible after a month? Never seen it go so long but never brewed something so big. Temperature of brew has been kept between 65-70.

Depending on the yeast, I'd think you could push it down further. What yeast strain did you use? That is 60% attenuation. Of course it already runs to almost 9.5% ABV so you need an alcohol tolerant strain to get much further.

When I make a barleywine, I start with London ale yeast and it knocks it down from 1.110 to ~1.040-1.050. I then make a huge starter of Super High Gravity yeast and pitch it. I usually end up between 1.000 and 1.010. The FG may sound low, but the beer is still very malty. The high amount of alcohol makes the gravity reading a bit "off."

What was your recipe? What type of extract? Any steeping grains?

You should be able to get that lower, but it will be tough mid-fermentation. Will certainly need a big pitch of active yeast to dry it out as far as it will go (which might only be in the 1.030s depending on the fermentability of your wort)

I used canadian/belgian yeast from wyeast. Giving it another week, if I see no gravity change I am going to get some champagne yeast to finish it off.

You can use the Champagne yeast if you want, but I've many report off flavors from it. Go with the Super High Gravity yeast to keep the flavor cleaner. You have plenty of esters from the Belgian so now use this one just to clean up and finish out.

You can use the Champagne yeast if you want, but I've many report off flavors from it. Go with the Super High Gravity yeast to keep the flavor cleaner. You have plenty of esters from the Belgian so now use this one just to clean up and finish out.

Champagne yeast is not that great at eating more complex sugars in beer wort. It's good at eating simple sugars like corns sugar, table sugar, fructose, etc...
WLP099 is the way to go.

Added yeast nutriunt left a week same gravity ready. Then added some Nottingham Yeast (recommended from brew shop) It dropped two points, maybe around 1.046. I had made a huge started at full tilt when I added, showed tones of activity. Thinking about giving it one more week and then transfering to a secondary. It will eventually be aged in an oak cask.

Back