Am I Justified

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbit03

Reaction score
So I have been brewing for about 4 years now. In the last six months I started brewing with someone who is dating one of my girlfriends friends at his place since my current living situation doesn't allow me to brew very efficiently in my apartment.

So I brought all of my brewing equipment over to his place, which he didn't have any of the equipment needed to brew all grain. What started out as a I will pay for my batches of beer and you will pay for your own quickly degraded into him never paying for ingredients and then trying to take at least half of every batch, but the batch he did pay for he took the whole thing. I mean I like to share my beer with my friends and family but it makes it a little tough when I get hardly any beer to begin with.

Then to poor salt in the wound I went to his place one night when some of his friends are their and I realized he takes all the credit for the beers I brewed, I mean these are my recipes I wrote, did all the work and payed for them.

So I guess my question is am I justified taking my equipment back home and not helping him with some batches/project beers I said I would. Quite frankly I feel like I am being taken advantage of in this whole situation.

End Rant.

So I have been brewing for about 4 years now. In the last six months I started brewing with someone who is dating one of my girlfriends friends at his place since my current living situation doesn't allow me to brew very efficiently in my apartment.

So I brought all of my brewing equipment over to his place, which he didn't have any of the equipment needed to brew all grain. What started out as a I will pay for my batches of beer and you will pay for your own quickly degraded into him never paying for ingredients and then trying to take at least half of every batch, but the batch he did pay for he took the whole thing. I mean I like to share my beer with my friends and family but it makes it a little tough when I get hardly any beer to begin with.

Then to poor salt in the wound I went to his place one night when some of his friends are their and I realized he takes all the credit for the beers I brewed, I mean these are my recipes I wrote, did all the work and payed for them.

So I guess my question is am I justified taking my equipment back home and not helping him with some batches/project beers I said I would. Quite frankly I feel like I am being taken advantage of in this whole situation.

End Rant.

Yes. Take it home and stop giving him beer. If you're like most (homebrewers), you have a good bit of money tied up in your equipment. If he's not even willing to share the cost of ingredients, he shouldn't reap the benefits of your hard work. On top of that, he takes all the credit? Not cool. Your apartment situation sucks for brewing, but you can figure something out. Maybe if the good beer supply dries up, he'll have a change of attitude. If not, let him go BUY beer from the store and take credit for that. You are being taken advantage of.

I think every brewer runs in to mooch's. They think the beer is endless and free. Cut the cord, take ALL of your stuff back (but say it nice) like you have a HBC meeting and need your ALL your stuff. I'm saying this because when this happened to me, some feelings got hurt.

You have a great non-confrontational excuse if you're worried about it, tell him you're taking your gear to a national homebrew day event, then just never bring it back.

I think we are all saying the same thing. Take your gear back and brew at home. Sounds like he's a tool anyways.

put some laxatives in the next batch so when he's bragging to all his buddies what an awesome brewer he's pretending to be, they all get water fountain butt. then take all your equipment back & tell him to p!$$ up a rope.

Yeah man I agree with everybody, he just sounds ignorant. You should get your quip before something happens to it, he doesn't sound like he has any respect for your stuff or you if he's blatantly taking credit in front of you. Plus he's just a mutual acquaintance so no big deal, not a direct friend or in law.
I just moved to an apartment too and I'm still getting everything figured out. My old place had an entire guest room for me to overrun. Brewing in an apartment sucks but at least you get to enjoy the beer YOU BOUGHT. Get it out as fast as you can. Just head over there and tell him you want to get your stuff, it will get awkward as h3ll but he needs to lose the free beer and knowledge privilege.

That's horrible!

Tell him you're moving to a place where you can brew and you want to move YOUR equipment.

I'm sure you'll move at some point, so what if it may be a little early...

good luck,

Thanks guys for the advice, I was looking for the support of others to make sure my actions were justified. My girlfriend has been telling me the same thing for a while. The only downfall of my apartment is my stove, it can barely boil a gallon of water.

No respect. No respect at all.

Take it back, F him if he has a problem with it. Since we do not know about your relationship with this guy (do you spend time with his GF, would it make thisgs weird?) you will have to decide how confrontational you want to be. Don't let him walk all over you. You will work something out. if not there are always doing double brew days of smaller partial boil batches (which you will get all of)

Take your stuff, then punch him in the face for taking credit for your beers.

Thanks guys for the advice, I was looking for the support of others to make sure my actions were justified. My girlfriend has been telling me the same thing for a while. The only downfall of my apartment is my stove, it can barely boil a gallon of water.

Wait your GF is saying 'take it back'? This means either A) she likes you and is tired of your bitching about it to her or B) thinks he is also scum (note mutually exclusive). I suppose we could come up with other explainations, but basically she is saying "if there is flack with my bff over this, I'll cover you".

So your problem is your stove? May we introduce you to 'ELECTRIC BREWING' - serroiusly look it up here on the forums, you can make some 120V heat sticks, get them on a couple of cuircuts and go to town.

Back