Short brewing window

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hokie1234

Reaction score
This is going to be my first ever time brewing. I am just doing a one gallon batch from extract (northern brewer's caribou slobber). The issue is that I will be leaving for my summer internship in two weeks. If I wait until the last possible moment to bottle, will this allow enough time for the beer to ferment, or should I just wait until I am settled, which could be a while? Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.

It is possible, but since it is your first time I would wait. You would need near perfect conditions to make sure it all worked out, and you're not likely to get that on your first batch. Developing a sound process is the best way to start this hobby and you won't get that rushing.

Depends... how long you going to be gone?

I was given two 5 gallon batches once that had been in plastic buckets for six (6) months, an IPA and and Octoberfest.

The Octoberfest was on the downside of a beel curve but drinkable and the IPA was fine.

Also if did bottle at two weeks you probably will have a "touch" more sediment but when you come back I think you will have a drinkable beer...

I looked up "caribou slobber" and it says it is a sesson beer (low gravity) so I think two weeks is enough...

Beer can be ready in 2 weeks for bottling, BUT that depends on a few factors, and one of them is experience, which you don't have. Another is recipe, which also is not in your favor. A wheat beer won't need to clear, so if you get to FG, you can bottle. But all other beer styles it is prefered to have it clear before bottling.

With that said, if you bottle a slightly cloudy beer, you will have more sediment in your bottles. If your summer internship is close enough, you could come back and bottle after leaving for a week.

2 weeks is plenty of time to allow an ale to ferment. Brew it and bottle it the day before you leave. When you get back you will have fully carbed and conditioned bottles to enjoy :)

With all of the other feedback above, I think the biggest unknown is, how long will you be gone on your internship? If your internship is going to be for a couple of weeks, you could easily let it ride out in primary and bottle when you get back. If you're going to be gone for a month or longer, I would recommend bottling now, and the beer will be ready to drink upon your return!

Back