Strawberry Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewerone

Reaction score
How To Make Strawberry Wine
By Damian Perrin

Makes a 6 gallon Batch

Ingredients

15 lbs Strawberries
7.8 gallon Fermenting Pale
6.5-gallon Carboy
Airlock
1.5 TSP Wine Tannin
6 TSP Acid Blend
1.25 TSP Pectic Enzyme
6 Camden Tablets (Potassium Metabisulphite)
18 lbs. Corn Sugar ( 36 cups)
1 Yeast Packet
6 TSP Yeast Nutrient
2 ½ TSP Bentonite
Bucket Bag (Fine or Coarse)

Day 1

Secure bucket bag inside Fermenting pale (Primary Fermentation) and strap down with bungee cord. Then add strawberries, wine tannin, acid blend, bentonite, and Camden tablets. Next add enough water to cover strawberries. Cover pale with towel.

Day 2

Add sugar, yeast packet, pectic enzyme, and yeast nutrient. Then add water to the 5.5 gallon mark.
Days 2 through 8 stir daily for 1 minute. Test S.G. after 3 day and again each day until the Specific Gravity reaches 1.000. Then follow day 8 instructions.

Day 8

Remove strawberries from wine and discard. Rack (siphon) wine into 6.5-gallon carboy (Secondary Fermentation). Fit with airlock.

After 30 days, degas the wine. Rack wine. Wine should clear. Once fermentation stops. You can add Sparkalloid to clear in a week. You may drink after two months, but it matures after 6 months.

Is this a big enough glass?

image-4203441454.jpg

image-3911813790.jpg

ejr said:
would there be a difference between corn and cane sugar

Yes, I don't use cane sugar anymore. Corn sugar dissolves much quicker and easier in water than does cane sugar. Also corn sugar has more fermentable sugar than does cane sugar. Other than that, wine made with cane sugar will probably be a little sweeter cause all of the sugar will not ferment.

Yes, I don't use cane sugar anymore. Corn sugar dissolves much quicker and easier in water than does cane sugar. Also corn sugar has more fermentable sugar than does cane sugar. Other than that, wine made with cane sugar will probably be a little sweeter cause all of the sugar will not ferment.

That's not been my experience. Cane sugar and corn sugar are similar molecularly and cane sugar will not leave any residual sugar behind as it is 100% fermentable. Corn sugar is dextrose (C6H12O6), cane sugar is sucrose (C12H22O11). There is no real difference in the behavior of the yeast.

Yooper said:
That's not been my experience. Cane sugar and corn sugar are similar molecularly and cane sugar will not leave any residual sugar behind as it is 100% fermentable. Corn sugar is dextrose (C6H12O6), cane sugar is sucrose (C12H22O11). There is no real difference in the behavior of the yeast.

I must be doing something wrong. I have been told that corn sugar has more fermentable sugars than does cane sugar from my local brew shop. I have had problems when adding sugar after my fermentation process has started when I attempt to achieve high alcohol contents. Normally what works for me is adding 12 cups of corn sugar over a 3 day period. I usually start with 36 cups of corn sugar or S.G. Of 1.100.

First Post Ever!:) Big fan of HBT. I've been homebrewing for two years. Tomorrow I'm going to start my first wine. I crowd sourced my friends a bit and they say they want a strawberry wine, cuz they're awesome. Any tips, hints or straight up wisdom is strongly appreciated.

Brewerone said:
By Damian Perrin

Makes a 6 gallon Batch

Ingredients

15 lbs Strawberries
6.5-gallon Carboy
Airlock
1.5 TSP Wine Tannin
6 TSP Acid Blend
1.25 TSP Pectic Enzyme
1 Yeast Packet
6 TSP Yeast Nutrient
2 ½ TSP Bentonite

Day 1

Secure bucket bag inside Fermenting pale (Primary Fermentation) and strap down with bungee cord. Then add strawberries, wine tannin, acid blend, bentonite, and Camden tablets. Next add enough water to cover strawberries. Cover pale with towel.

Day 2

Add sugar, yeast packet, pectic enzyme, and yeast nutrient. Then add water to the 5.5 gallon mark.
Days 2 through 8 stir daily for 1 minute. Test S.G. after 3 day and again each day until the Specific Gravity reaches 1.000. Then follow day 8 instructions.

Day 8

Remove strawberries from wine and discard. Rack (siphon) wine into 6.5-gallon carboy (Secondary Fermentation). Fit with airlock.

After 30 days, degas the wine. Rack wine. Wine should clear. Once fermentation stops. You can add Sparkalloid to clear in a week. You may drink after two months, but it matures after 6 months.

How did u degas your strawberry wine

Brewerone said:
By Damian Perrin

Makes a 6 gallon Batch

Ingredients

15 lbs Strawberries
6.5-gallon Carboy
Airlock
1.5 TSP Wine Tannin
6 TSP Acid Blend
1.25 TSP Pectic Enzyme
1 Yeast Packet
6 TSP Yeast Nutrient
2 ½ TSP Bentonite

Day 1

Day 2

Day 8

And did mash your strawberries at all or just put them in whole

By Damian Perrin

Makes a 6 gallon Batch

Ingredients

15 lbs Strawberries
6.5-gallon Carboy
Airlock
1.5 TSP Wine Tannin
6 TSP Acid Blend
1.25 TSP Pectic Enzyme
1 Yeast Packet
6 TSP Yeast Nutrient
2 ½ TSP Bentonite

Day 1

Day 2

Day 8

I noticed you dropped the 6 camden tablets on day 1, I thought ya dropped 1 to kill off bad yeast and bacteria and then 1 per gallon on stabilizing. Or am I wrong, sorry, I'm new to wine making.

If it ferments out to a Final Gravity around 1.000 or lower it will be dry. If you would like it sweet, 1st. stabilize the wine by adding potassium sorbate, this will inactivate the yeast. You can then "back sweeten" with a cane sugar/water syrup. Just remember if you want to back sweeten then you need the potassium sorbate first otherwise you risk starting fermentation again. If you subsequently bottled it after back sweetening without the potassium sorbate you risk "bottle bombs" which means clean up on aisle 3.

I have to say that this was the yummiest wine I've ever made for drinking young. I had 16 ounces left over from the final racking before bottling (it was still the slightest bit cloudy), and rather than just have a small taste to compare to it later, we ended up drinking it all. Dry, but a clear strawberry flavor, and a beautiful pink color.

Back