How long to age cider (primary and bottle)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxyaardvark

Reaction score
I just made an experimental one gallon batch using a gallon of store bought apple juice and red star Montrachet wine yeast. I'm hoping to be able to try it this summer. What's the shortest amount of time I can keep it in primary and how long will I need to bottle age after that. I've read stories of people letting theirs age for years and there is no way I am waiting that long on this small of a batch. The OG shouldn't be too high since I didn't add any additional sugar but I was curious as to everyone's opinions.

With store bought juice and no extra sugar, 2-3 weeks fermenting, 2-3 weeks bottle conditioning and 1 or so weeks in the fridge can give a nice fresh cider :)

I agree. My personal opinion is that store bought juice makes a nice young cider. Drink it up within a couple of months unless you are using it for apple wine.

Thanks guys :) this helps me as well. With added sugar, should you bump from 2-3 weeks to 3-4 weeks?

Perhaps, but not particularly. It would depend how much time I had and how soon I wanted it.

This year all my ciders are spending months in the secondary then months in the bottle. Seem to be so much better.

I have 5 gallons sitting in secondary now for about five months..I keep forgetting its down there in the cellar all lonely.

Back