Cutting the bottom out of a freezer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EZCyclone

Reaction score
Ok, maybe I'm nuts, I know it. I'm running on zero sleep in many hours, and studied till my brain is tapioca for my 9AM Structural Geology exam in the morning. So, this I'm sure is nuts, but, I have to ask. Seeings as the cold falls, is there coils in the bottom of these small coffin freezers? Like could I cut the bottom clean out of one? No matter why I want to do this yet, just humor me. Me thinks Thadius might now something about this...

Nigth

Ok, so I'm a bit rested now, and rocked my exam. So here's some more info, form hopefully a less nuts mind. My thinking is this. Is there any reason to have coils on the bottom of a freezer? Coffin style freezer anyway? I want to build a bar set up that has a big keggerator in it with the ability to have ice. So I was thinking if there was a small freezer that didn't have coils in the bottom, I could cut the bottom off of it, and make the freezer part an ice bin. Then, the cold would flow out into the keggerator and cool the kegs! Ok, thoughts? I have seen lots of lookers, how about some thoughts! lol

Wait, the outside skin of the freezer is the condenser isn't it? Crap...

Can't say I conmpletely understand... maybe you need some more sleep or I need another picture...

I would think that if you want the ice and the kegs in the same enclsoure the beer would be to cold... or at least it would be difficult to fine-tune it to do both things...

Congrats on your test...but I don't quite understand your idea. Here's what I get:
-You want to place a chest freezer on top of your fridge.
-cut out the bottom of the freezer, which will allow 0F air to make ice, and then drop down into the fridge to help cool it

My guess is there are coils throughout the entire freezer (except the lid), so this wouldn't be feasible. I don't know for sure, but I know my floor gets as cold as the walls, so I'm guessing there are coils in the floor of my freezer.

Yeah, I think I was on about 5 Wired X3000's at that point. My mind was mush at best. Anyway, yes, my though was to build a keezer that looks like a regular bar cabinet. (Like lower kitchen cabinets.) Ok here's what I have been thinking and then last night found the pics below. Now that is a freezer in there not a fridge and this is very close to what I want to do. However my crazy thought was I could instead use a tiny coffin freezer and cut the bottom out of it to have ice in the top and then beer in the bottom. Basically a dual zone setup. I will be building the bar soon and want ice right there in the bar. I'm sure I will just end up setting up a second chamber/or freezer to have cold glasses and an ice bin. When we have parties I go though 60-100# of ice so I would like it to hold 20# I think.

15818d1274808567-4-6-cu-ft-fridge-10-1-cu-ft-fermentation-chamber-conversion-fromtop.jpg

15819d1274808582-4-6-cu-ft-fridge-10-1-cu-ft-fermentation-chamber-conversion-complete.jpg

I always thought that was the general principle behind the cheaper freezer on the top fridges... :confused:

I think you are right, the freezer runs and the cold just drops to the fridge. Where is the heat dissipated on these? It is in the skin right? My thinking last night, or what I recall of my Wired induced visions, was that I could just stick the freezer inside the other chamber but I'm not thinking that wont work. Maybe if I had a way to blow the cold air from the freezer to the kegger side? Maybe three four inch lines with fans in them and a simple closure system?

Oh, and for those who don't know Wired drinks...

891727_10151833287018222_1029019554_o.jpg

them side by side. The orientation shouldn't be a huge deal, but I am just looking out for your efficiency.

Supporting equations
Convection: q(dot)=h(Tsurface-Tambient) this means that you can get more heat transfer by either increasing the delta T or increasing the amount of airflow.
conduction: q(dot)=k/L(T1-T2) or you can increase heat transfer by increasing the delta T or by switching materials. In this case neither one is really possible.

Trust me, im a heat transfer Engineer.

Soooooooo, I can't find squat on this easy icemaker thing... Anybody got any ideas?

Latest posts

Back