too much head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bela

Reaction score
Carapils is for head right? I quit using it because I was getting to much head.
I keg all my beer. To carb I start about 20psi for 3 days than go down to 10 psi till carbed. After fully carbed, which is about a week or so I turn down to 3 or 4 psi. Still way to much head. This is pretty much any beer I brew, from stout to ipa. Temperature in keg is around 40 degrees.

what am I doing wrong? Beer taste great! Just don't like all that foam.

I didn't know it was possible to get too much head....

:D I envy you my friend

but seriously, it wouldn't be from the carapils. Yeah they do add body and contribute to head, they wouldn't cause too much. It seems that you are over carbing, but as I don't keg I can't give you specific suggestions on how and for how long.

How long is your beer line, and is this consistent across all pours, even if there are several pours in a row? How are your spouts set up with your kegerator? Are they in a tower, or attached to the front of a fridge?

I'm a keg n00b for sure, but the guys at my LHBS said too short of tubing will do that too you. How long is the beer tubing?

Thanks guys, The beer is in a keg with a tower. probably 3 feet of line. I had beer to drink in about a week, I guess I'll go back to the old way. I think it was a little better anyway. That's 2 to 3 weeks at 10psi.

Also I think I may need a longer line as some of you mention. The first pour is the worst. Second and third pours in a row it does get better.

Thanks guys, The beer is in a keg with a tower. probably 3 feet of line. I had beer to drink in about a week, I guess I'll go back to the old way. I think it was a little better anyway. That's 2 to 3 weeks at 10psi.

I would first swap out your beer line. 3ft is not enough in my opinion. I have about 6 to 7 ft for my beer line and also push cold air up the tower. I force carb at 30 psi for about 45 minutes and after settling, I have no issues.

Here's a quick site I found that lays out beer line calculations:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/0...our-kegged-beer-co2-line-length-and-pressure/

Also I think I may need a longer line as some of you mention. The first pour is the worst. Second and third pours in a row it does get better.

This sounds like a combination of short line and warm tower. The first pour is bad because the warm beer in the tower doesn't hold it's co2 in. The subsequent bad pours in a row, are slightly better because the beer is now cold, but the short line is causing the foaming.

Back