New Danstar Belle Saison Dry Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My thoughts on this yeast.
I brewed all extract, with 6 oz of dextrine for head retention. 1.048 original gravity, got down to 1.008 Fermentation in primary only for 15 days. I fermented on the cool side for a Saison, never got above 72 degrees and spent the last week or more at 68 or below. I used Galena as my bittering hop and finished with an ounce each of Hallertau and Saaz at knockout.

I am very happy with the result. Yeast character overwhelms the hop character in my brew. Flavors skew towards the fruity profile of this yeast; fresh apricot, green plum, banana peel, lemon pith. I don't get much spice, just very mild clove or white pepper. Possibly from fermenting at low temp? Finish is sour/acidic and refreshing. It is hard not to take another sip right away.

My brew calculated to 44 IBU but I think the sour character and maybe the high attenuation make this taste more like a 25-30 IBU brew.

I'll definitely brew this yeast again.

my thoughts exactly. with saison yeast, this is going to be an imperial.

yeah, my 1st batch not using a pre-established recipe, I didn't know about beer smith yet, and lots of lost H2O during boiling and none on hand to top off with make for a new brewer with some strong beer, Granted that was 2 months ago.

It is pretty good though.

My LHBS was out of 3711, but they had just gotten Belle Saison in so I used one packet to brew this: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2009/11/hoppy-french-saison.html (except I also keg hopped with 1oz of leaf Saaz).

It went from 1.052 to 1.005 in less than a week under ~72F ambient temp, and I've had it on tap for little over three weeks. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. The aroma is slightly peppery and plays very well with the Saaz. It is very dry with a little tartness in the aftertaste. I don't detect much if any fruit, maybe some very light lemon notes, but hard to distinguish from the hops. Despite the low FG it has nice body.

I've brewed a lot of Saisons and Belle is very close to what I usually see from 3711, if it's not the same yeast strain it is very similar. Like 3711, Belle plays very well with hops (especially saaz) and even with super attenuation it does not seem watered down. I'll probably do another batch with 3711 for added comparison, but most likely Belle will be my new saison yeast.

Just to add some more results using the Belle Saison dry yeast. I wanted to make an inexpensive and light table saison/belgian ale for the summer. Shooting for 5% ABV at the low end of "official" saison territory, I started with an OG of 1.040. Pitched 1 rehydrated packet at 66*F and let it go to where ever it wanted. Ambient house temp right around 70*F - its been a mild spring. After three weeks in primary I kegged it. FG 1.000(!). Still waiting on carbonation, but the hydro sample was exactly what I was looking for: dominant spicy character with a kind of swirl of fruitiness. I'd say it compared favorably with my goto saison strain WLP565.

I saved 2 half gallon jars of slurry, and will be using one this weekend to ferment a beefy tripel ~9.5% ABV just to see how it behaves. Danstar says it has high alcohol tolerance...

I've brewed a lot of Saisons and Belle is very close to what I usually see from 3711, if it's not the same yeast strain it is very similar. Like 3711, Belle plays very well with hops (especially saaz) and even with super attenuation it does not seem watered down. I'll probably do another batch with 3711 for added comparison, but most likely Belle will be my new saison yeast.

I have done three Saisons using Belle Saison. I agree that it is close to 3711. It ferments low like 3711, all three went to 1.002. I get just slightly more pepper and slightly less citrus flavor from the yeast, but very close to 3711. It is nice to have a good dry yeast option for Saisons.

I brewed one up, aimed for ~1.063 OG, expected around a 1.010 FG. I hit 1.067, which isn't too far off.

Belle Saison took it down to .997 over a week. I didn't do any temp control on it, so it more than likely stayed between 75 and 80 the whole time. The beer is very tart and fruity, but with the attenuation being what it was, the bitterness from the hops is more pronounced than I aimed for.

I figure, after letting it sit for a while, the sweetness from the alcohol will balance out the hops.

I brewed one up, aimed for ~1.063 OG, expected around a 1.010 FG. I hit 1.067, which isn't too far off.

Belle Saison took it down to .997 over a week. I didn't do any temp control on it, so it more than likely stayed between 75 and 80 the whole time. The beer is very tart and fruity, but with the attenuation being what it was, the bitterness from the hops is more pronounced than I aimed for.

I figure, after letting it sit for a while, the sweetness from the alcohol will balance out the hops.

I just fermented 10 gallons of a 1.067 saison with the Belle Saison yeast (pitched 1g/L) and in four days they was sitting at .998. the hop flavor and aroma is great but the there isn't much mouthfeel. I'm going to force carbon five gallons and hope of the best.

I'm in my first journey with Belle Saison. Did an American Pale Ale/Belgian hybrid yrsterday,I will call it Bellvada Pale Ale since I used a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale recipe and the Belle Saison.

10.5 lbs Maris Otter
14 oz caramel 60
Mashed (too high) 156-154
60 min boil
.33 oz magnum @ 60
.5 oz perle @ 60
1 oz cascade @ 15
1 oz cascade @ 1
1 pack Belle Saison rehydrated per instructions
Fermenter at 67 in basement, no temp control
Dry hop with 1 oz cascade for 7 days
Keg

My OG was higher than expected, 1.058 vs. 1.054 prob because of my higher mash temp. I hope the yeast can work through the starches I got. I think the classic tastes on the SNPA should go great with the flavors this yeast brings, and the citrusy cascade.

Brewed up a quick extract Hoppy Sasion with Belle this weekend. (had some LME to get rid of from my extract brewing days)
Gold LME(40%), Pilsner DME(40%), Corn sugar(10%).
1050 OG
Hit it with Belma continuously from 10 min to flame out.
Then gave a big charge of Centennial, Cascade and Sterling at 149 Degrees for a 30 min steep.
It is currently fermenting strong at 70 degrees.
Going to dry hop with a combo of Centennial, Cascade and Belma.

*3 days after pitching I raised temperature from 70 to 80.
*6 days after pitching temperature is up to 86.
*7 days since pitching down to 1004. I am going to let the temp free fall back down to 70 and then Dry hop it. I think the floral fruitiness of cascade and centennial will work perfectly with the spiciness that the yeast created. No big phenolic notes that I can detect this far(which I prefer).
*17 days since pitching. It is very spicy yeast. While this brew was heavily hopped for saision standards, the yeast character is dominate.

Very interested in how this yeast preforms.

After reading this thread I see that there are several comparison Belle Saison and Wyeast 3711 . Wyeast 3711 is a FRENCH saison (reportedly from Brasserie Thiriez). The Belgian Strain would be WLP 565 or Wyeast 3724 (reportedly Saison Du Pont). I am getting ready to make a Saison Du Pont clone with the Danstar Belle Saison yeast. Is that a mistake??
From Danstar website, "Belle Saison is an ale yeast of Belgian origin selected for its ability to produce great Saison-style beer."

Mistake? No, good beer. Closest clone to saison DuPont? 3724. Be prepared to put in a water bath with aquarium heater to get to 90-95. And be prepared to wait an excruciating 6+ weeks for it to finish. Then be prepared to taste heaven.

Keep in mind that warming like that is only really applicable to 3724, and not to Belle Saison.

Belle finishes very fast, and I experienced attenuation that was insane, all in the upper 70s / low 80s.

Molybedenum said:
Keep in mind that warming like that is only really applicable to 3724, and not to Belle Saison.

Belle finishes very fast, and I experienced attenuation that was insane, all in the upper 70s / low 80s.

That is right, both 3724 and 565 from White labs require you getting it very warm. Now, on my first use of Bell saison, it is still bubbling away at almost 14 days. My ambient temperature is 67°. I am surprised I'm still seeing Airlock activity after this long of a primary. I have not checked the gravity yet. But as a general rule I don't bother checking it until I stop seeing the airlock activity. Still getting about one bubble every 10 seconds today

Belle Saison doesn't sound like it is the same strain as 3724/WLP565. See more references to 3711 the French Saison. And from what you are saying about temps then that jibes too.

Does anyone know where the strain came from? Nothing on Mr.Malty.

Thanks in advance for everyone! M8B

Most reports I've read say closest to 3711, but nothing definitive.

Most reports I've read say closest to 3711, but nothing definitive.

I have used it a lot. My opinionis that it is much closer to 3711. I get slightly more spice and little less citrus flavor. It does not need the heat like 3724 to finish up. I have fermented it in the low 70's and it worked great. I tried it in the mid 80's and it worked good also.

Can anyone comment on the average time this yeast takes? I haven't used 3711 but I've read it's fast. 3724 took me 6+ weeks at 90+ F to get it finished.

I brewed this batch 13 days ago and I am still seeing airlock activity. Started fermenting just a few hours after I pitched, so very short lag. Ambient temp is about 68 and I'm not doing anything to control temp. Thinking I may go ahead and check the gravity today, if it's below 10 I think I will rack to keg and let condition in there for a week or so before dry hopping. My recipe is a Sierra Nevada clone, AG, 5 gallons, fermented with one pack of Bell Saison.

bd2xu said:
Can anyone comment on the average time this yeast takes? I haven't used 3711 but I've read it's fast. 3724 took me 6+ weeks at 90+ F to get it finished.

I brewed this batch 13 days ago and I am still seeing airlock activity. Started fermenting just a few hours after I pitched, so very short lag. Ambient temp is about 68 and I'm not doing anything to control temp. Thinking I may go ahead and check the gravity today, if it's below 10 I think I will rack to keg and let condition in there for a week or so before dry hopping. My recipe is a Sierra Nevada clone, AG, 5 gallons, fermented with one pack of Bell Saison.

I bet it will be lower than 1.010, the two batches I've done have finished in less than 14 days at around 1.005. Airlock has always been a poor indicator for me, though, I always go by time and gravity.

Well decided to check and it was at 1.004, so I racked it into a keg with an ounce of Cascade and hit it with 30 psi to seal. Will leave in basement at room temp for a week then drop it in the kegerator to chill and carb. It tastes great and has awesome, fruity estery aroma.

I brewed a Vienna SMaSH Saison with this yeast recently and was astounded by the attenuation, starting at 1.061 and ending at 1.005,which by my calculations was over 90%. Could this be right?

I was very happy with the result although a brewer friend didn't like the alcohol warmth.

I brewed a Vienna SMaSH Saison with this yeast recently and was astounded by the attenuation, starting at 1.061 and ending at 1.005,which by my calculations was over 90%. Could this be right?

I was very happy with the result although a brewer friend didn't like the alcohol warmth.

Sure that is very possible. I just bottled a batch yesterday that ended at 1.002. This yeast is a beast like 3711, that will finish very low.

I just brewed a Saison with Belle yesterday, it only took a couple of hours to start seeing airlock activity after pitching. Pitched at 75*F and fermenting at ~75*F ambient in the warmest room of the house. I'll post back with results in ~3 weeks when I bottle it up, but so far I'd have to say I'm happy with this yeast.

Just took a hydrometer reading, I have to say I'm rather impressed by this yeast. Recipe was:

OG: 1.058
FG: 1.004
IBU: 26.2
SRM: 4.0

6 lb Pilsen
1 lb Munich
2 lb Raw spelt
1 lb 6 row

1.25 oz Styrian Goldings [5.5%] - 75 min
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.5%] - 15 min
0.50 oz Czech Saaz [4.2%] - 0 min
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.5%] - 0 min

1 packet rehydrated Belle Saison, fermented @ ~75*F

Conduct cereal mash with 6 row and spelt, infuse to 122*F, hold 15 min, raise temp to 150*F, hold 15 min, boil for 15 min, add to malt mash (147*F for 90 min) to bring to mash out temp of ~168*F.

This was, in my opinion, the first time I've actually struck gold on balancing malt, hops, and yeast in the finished beer. I'm really bad at describing flavors, so I'll just go ahead and say it tastes like a Saison. One of my favorites that I've yet to brew.

This yeast is beastly

OG: 1.057
FG:1.001!

6 lb Pilsen DME
1 lb Table Sugar
0.5 Crystal 20L

.75 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.0%]-30 Min
.5 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.0%]-10 Min
.5 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.0%]- 0 Min

Started at 75 F and let it free rise, I think the temp maxed at 82 F. Hydrometer reading after 7 days -1.001, sample tastes delicious. Mostly fruity, pepper is pretty subdued. Going to let it sit for a few more days but I'm sure I could keg it now. Very happy with this yeast

First time using it, I have Belle Saison in a saison rocking and rolling right now. Pitched it 4 days ago, it rocked a massive krausen about 4 hours after pitching dry on top of the wort. I waited for the yeast to slow, then added my boiled/cooled candi syrup to the beer. 5 minutes later, I have a rockin party in my fermenter again. This stuff is lively!

Edit: I've been trying to ferment as warm as possible to see what I get. Currently about 80F with a 40w light bulb in my fermchamber. Looks like fruity is going to be the result?

Has anyone used this for a dubbel or tripel in place of T-58?

I used it in a tripel with 12 lbs pilsner, 8 oz. munich, 1 lb flaked barley, and 2 lbs sugar. It brought it from 1.078 down to 1.002. haven't bottled it yet, but the hydrometer samples taste great: spicy, a little fruit, not too hot just a little warm.

That sounds interesting. I was looking to do a tripple tommorow but didn't feel like running to the LHBS. I have this yeast on hand maybe ill just use that

This yeast is beastly

OG: 1.057
FG:1.001!

6 lb Pilsen DME
1 lb Table Sugar
0.5 Crystal 20L

.75 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.0%]-30 Min
.5 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.0%]-10 Min
.5 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.0%]- 0 Min

Started at 75 F and let it free rise, I think the temp maxed at 82 F. Hydrometer reading after 7 days -1.001, sample tastes delicious. Mostly fruity, pepper is pretty subdued. Going to let it sit for a few more days but I'm sure I could keg it now. Very happy with this yeast

I have been eyeing the Nelson Sauvin for an addition to a saison. Let me know how that turns out.

More Belle Saison info. I made a Belgian IPA mashed unintentionally long and low and pitched a Belle Saison slurry. OG 1056. FG 1000. Checked my hydrometer and everything. This yeast is a beast.

I used it in a tripel with 12 lbs pilsner, 8 oz. munich, 1 lb flaked barley, and 2 lbs sugar. It brought it from 1.078 down to 1.002. haven't bottled it yet, but the hydrometer samples taste great: spicy, a little fruit, not too hot just a little warm.

Did you use 2 packages or was that with 1...going to use on a brew calling for 1.068 today so am curious if I ought to double pitch or not.

misterc said:
Has anyone tried this yeast up to 90F ??

Is it too hot or bearable ?

I made the cottage house saison from this site but subbed the danstar belle saisons yeast for the 3711. Fermented at 90-95. Cooled the wort to 68 and let it sit for 24 hrs free rising. Then ramped it up to 90-95. Didnt mean to ferment that high as my aquarium heater got to hot so I just let it go. Turned out excellent. OG was 1.065 only got down to 1.009. I've heard ppl getting it as low as 1.000 so I don't know if the high temp had anything to do with that.
I made a similar recipe with the same yeast and I'm going to let it free rise to ferment and see if it makes a difference.

thank you guys definitely going to try it since the climate here is always around 90F so i don't have to bother with the fridge !!

Another person here that did it at 90 (pitched at about 85 degrees and wrapped in a blanket, thermometer read 90 when it was really going) It came out tasty with a nice clove/pepper/lemon rind flavor. I really do recommend crash cooling this for a few days before bottling. I was lazy and didn't, lots of sediment in the bottle that gave some off flavors after a while.

Did another brew with this and fermented at a much lower temperature (72ish degrees) and barely got the same flavor; was much more neutral.

I'd say if you are looking for the traditional saison flavor ferment it HOT!!!

Back