Which Vanilla Extract should I add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorne17

Reaction score
Hello there,

I'm brewing a Cream Stout today and I want to add Vanilla flavoring (also thinking of adding coffee, but I'll save that for another question) after fermentation.

I have a couple questions:
1. Which Vanilla Extract should I use?
a.Adams Best Vanilla Extract Extract (I think it's part pure part imitation: http://www.adamsextract.com/product.asp?productID=7299)
b.Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste (http://www.nielsenmassey.com/culinary/products-madagascar-bourbon-pure-vanilla-bean-paste.php)
c.McCormick's Pure Vanilla Bean Extract (the cheap stuff(http://www.mccormick.com/Spices-and-Flavors/Extracts-and-Food-Colors/Extracts/Pure-Vanilla-Extract)
d.Another one entirely​

2. How much should I use and when to add it? I was thinking of adding 2-3 Tablespoons into the 5 Gallon batch after the fermentation has slowed down (I don't have a secondary, unless I use my bottling bucket for primary and transfer over to my 5 gallon carboy for secondary. I typically use my 5 gallon carboy for primary cuz I don't have a 6 gallon at the moment). Would there be an issue adding it straight to primary after the major fermentation has almost stopped? I was thinking roughly adding it after 14 days and site 7 more days before bottling.

3. How should I add it? Just put it in boiled water (1-2 cups) and then cool it to beer temperature and then add it in?

Just want to make sure everything is squared away so I don't ruin this 5 gallon batch!

Thanks,
Lorne

I just added McCormicks to a oatmeal stout I made. I put 1 oz into my keg then racked my beer ontop of it. Taste great!

I always add vanilla flavoring/aroma by taking real vanilla beans and splitting them and then scraping them into a mason jar and letting them soak for a couple of weeks in either vodka, burbon, or cognac depending on the beer I'm making and how much it benefits from none, oaky, or fruity highlights from the vodka, burbon, or cognac respectively. Then I rack onto them in my secondary fermenter and let it sit on that another 2-3 weeks or more. The vanilla flavor and aroma will be at its peak strength a month or more after bottling.

If you do it this way, the main taste and aroma is definitely from the vanilla and not the liquor without it being overpowering. I use 2 vanilla beans per 6.5 gal. batch (which is the volume I do my batches at).

Thanks for the replies. I have read up on vanilla beans, but heard it's easier to use extract without mistakes. But I just don't know which one to use.

Lespaul, If I add 1oz, when should I add it, cuz I don't keg.

In my opinion, add a 1/2 oz when u bottle add it ontop ur priming sugar then rach ur beer ontop. U need tryal and error. 1/2oz is a good staring point. See how u like it then adjust.

I always add a vanilla bean to my secondary. It's always turned out great that way.

Back