Ferm Temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppybrewster

Reaction score
I'm sure this answer is somewhere in the forums but my ADD/ADHD kicks in and I'd never find it! I'm two days into a APA. I've got the carboy sitting in a tub of water, which is what I usually do. The water surrounding the carboy in the tub is 68 dry. Using safale 05. What ferm temps do you think I'm at? I'm getting about 2 bubbles per second.

image-2364540950.jpg

My, you have a long blow-off tube, don't ya?

I'm guessing that you're probably running around 70*F since the tub water is absorbing some of the ferment warmth.

Measuring the temp of the water in the tub gives you a better idea of the temp inside the carboy than if you just monitored ambient air temp.

What is your ambient air temp?

BigFloyd said:
My, you have a long blow-off tube, don't ya?

I'm guessing that you're probably running around 70*F since the tub water is absorbing some of the ferment warmth.

Measuring the temp of the water in the tub gives you a better idea of the temp inside the carboy than if you just monitored ambient air temp.

What is your ambient air temp?

65-66 deg

I think your good. I currently have four 1 gallon jugs of APA going in my basement. Ambient temp is 64-65 and the temp strip on my jug reads 66-67. I don't expect a 1 gallon jug to raise the temp like a 6.5 gallon carboy would. I would say that you are around 70-71. A little higher temp then I prefer as I try and keep the california strains between 65-67 until primary is over and then raise the temp up to 70-71 to allow the yeast to clean themselves up. Love the 10' blow off tube....

PaulVikingAles said:
I think your good. I currently have four 1 gallon jugs of APA going in my basement. Ambient temp is 64-65 and the temp strip on my jug reads 66-67. I don't expect a 1 gallon jug to raise the temp like a 6.5 gallon carboy would. I would say that you are around 70-71. A little higher temp then I prefer as I try and keep the california strains between 65-67 until primary is over and then raise the temp up to 70-71 to allow the yeast to clean themselves up. Love the 10' blow off tube....

Thanks for the advice. Would you be willing to PM me your 1 gallon APA recipes/methods. I've been dying to try this.

Back