how much rice syrup solids should I use to prime?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redking11

Reaction score
Hello all, I was going to bottle my summer cervesa, and picked up rice syrup solids for the job. I did a 6 gallon batch and want something on the higher end of carbonation any recommendations of how much rice syrup solids to use?

Not sure how good rice syrup solids would be for carbonating beer,the priming calculators don't even mention it. Never tried it myself,but it'd be ok if it was 100% fermentable.

225.54 grams for 6 gallons of beer with a 3.0 volume (Belgian Dubble carbonation)...

What?! It's on the Internet! It *has* to be true!

Not sure how good rice syrup solids would be for carbonating beer,the priming calculators don't even mention it. Never tried it myself,but it'd be ok if it was 100% fermentable.
Northern Brewer's priming calculator has it as the very last listing. It seems to be that you'd use 1.15 (1 1/7) times by weight as rice solids as you would corn sugar.

Might want to research it further though.

====
Desired Volume of CO2: 3.0 OR Belgian Dubbel (3.0 volume)

Current temperature of beer (F): 68

Volume of beer (in Gallons): 6
Sugar Amount in Grams Amount in Oz Amount in Cups
Corn Sugar 196.12 6.92 0.98
Sucrose 178.47 6.30 0.86
Turbinado 178.47 6.30 0.86
Demarara 178.47 6.30 0.86
Dextrose 196.12 6.92 0.98
Corn Syrup (Dark and Light) 259.86 9.17 0.80
Brown Sugar 201.03 7.09 0.87
Molasses 250.06 8.82 0.78
Maple Syrup 230.45 8.13 0.72
Sorghum Syrup 259.86 9.17 0.81
Honey 240.25 8.47 0.71
DME – All varieties 261.34 9.22 1.58
DME – Laaglander 357.93 12.63 2.17
Belgian Candy Syrup – All 281.93 9.94 0.88
Belgian Soft Candy Sugar 237.80 8.39 1.03
Invert Sugar syrup – all 196.12 6.92 0.61
Black Treacle 205.93 7.26 0.64
Rice Solids 225.54 7.96 1.03|

Probably should throw in a grain of salt as well.

Yeah,I was wondering if it'd leave something behind that could be tasted?...

IMO rice syrup solids is simply dextrose repackaged with maltodextrin...

To the OP i tried the exact method...Brewed a light blonde and wanted to add some "body" while carbing (horrible idea) so i decided to pick up some rice solids ($5.50 a pd) and use them as my priming agent....well what i got was a horrible mess which after testing gravity again didnt even ferment out leaving the beer undercarbed and "gummy" is the only way i can put it.

Use corn sugar (dextrose) ($1.99 a pd) and be much happier with your end product...

Just my .02

The priming agent is simply new food for the yeast to eat and poop you some new CO2. Not a good time to try to add new flavors or character.

IMO, it's best to stick with stuff that is tried & true plus is easily measurable in precise amounts (corn sugar, cane/table sugar, DME).

hmmm, I wonder why the oz (weight) did not equal what northern brewer's site said it should be in cups? I ended up using 1.5 cups.

hmmm, I wonder why the oz (weight) did not equal what northern brewer's site said it should be in cups? I ended up using 1.5 cups.

Mesuring by volume is usually a bad idea. Take some brown sugar. Fill up a cup. You have a cup of sugar.

Now, take your hand and squish it down. Add some more. You have a cup again... and maybe 15% more weight than you used to have.

If possible, ALWAYS measure priming sugar (and everything else, for that matter) by weight.

I imagine figuring out the weight content of sugar is pretty standard and a matter of content analysis. I imagine some-one somewhere put in charge of getting volume measurement for rice solids had much fewer resources and did one quick measurement, didn't double check it, just used too small a quantity with too high a measure of error but time was getting on and he was on a deadline and it was just one obscure little data point and he wrote down his results and it got copied and integrated without verification since.

I'd trust the weight. That comes out by simple chemical composition. Volume? Well if it was *really* more convenient for my to measure by volume I'd trust the white sugar and corn sugar but the rest I'd do my own measuring to determine a volume/weight ratio I trust.

With the very small amount of corn sugar, DME or cane sugar you use to prime for carbonation, you will affect the flavor not at all. All three are very easy to measure by weight to get the precise level of carbonation desired.

there is no way I'd prime with $5 a lb rice extract/syrup solids when there is NO benefit to it, and it has the same downside of a longer wait as priming with DME.

honey and DME can be said to give a different flavor but rice extract/syrup solids is an expensive way to get the effect of priming with table/corn sugar.

IMO rice syrup solids is simply dextrose repackaged with maltodextrin...

To the OP i tried the exact method...Brewed a light blonde and wanted to add some "body" while carbing (horrible idea) so i decided to pick up some rice solids ($5.50 a pd) and use them as my priming agent....well what i got was a horrible mess which after testing gravity again didnt even ferment out leaving the beer undercarbed and "gummy" is the only way i can put it.

Use corn sugar (dextrose) ($1.99 a pd) and be much happier with your end product...

Just my .02

That was my exact thinking. I wish I had asked before I added the rice now. Well I'll just have to wait now. Maybe I'll get lucky and the rice will ferment out better in mine. Man I hope so because there is nothing worse than a whole batch turning out bad.

After reading Johnnyhitch1's bad expirence with rice solids as a priming agent has anyone ever used rice successfully to prime?

I was *going* to. But I'm not going to now.

Uniondr, have you ever primed with DME?

Rice is made up of mostly Starch (Pretty Sure)
So ya... It's about 80% Fermentable
1 cup of it vs 3/4 cup of Sugar of any kind or 1 cup of DME

Although, it might not be the Best Choice for Priming your Batch

It might also not cause Carbonation as well.

Back