Fruit Beer Succulent Strawberry Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting... I bought mine at Wal-Mart, Great Value brand. I used to buy Dole, but I didn't see any 4 lb bags of Dole, just the off-brand. We'll see how pink mine gets!

My first one blew the air lock off and produced one helluva strawberry volcano!! Lol. Second time around I didn't see as much activity. I say you're safe at a week. I know 8 lbs sounds like a lot, but as it ages for a couple weeks, the strawberry flavor seems to mellow out. 5 pounds just means you'll have to drink faster!! :D

Ha! I guess I'll just have to make it again and adjust! ;-) Thanks again for the help!

I did have one other question. Is a month in the tertiary right? Seems like a really long time.

It is a long time... Probably way too long. I'd say a week is plenty good enough. The first time I brewed this, I got busy and just didn't have time to bottle, so it ended up being there for a month. The second time I brewed it I only left it in for about two weeks, but I think you could get away with a week. Maybe some other guys will chime in on this...

Bluelinebrewer said:
Interesting... I bought mine at Wal-Mart, Great Value brand. I used to buy Dole, but I didn't see any 4 lb bags of Dole, just the off-brand. We'll see how pink mine gets!
Im pretty sure my wife bought the wal mart great value brand this time too.
vhanley said:
I did have one other question. Is a month in the tertiary right? Seems like a really long time.
Way ling if you ask me. I usually do 2 weeks in primary, 1 week on berries, 1 week in terrtiary and then cold crash for a week.

Hey blue, i winder if there is a way to merge the two threads together? It would sure make this conversation easier! Hahaha

Ok guys, my blonde is getting to that spot where you look forward to the next one as you are drinking one. Cant wait to see how it is as time goes on. I was a bit down on the taste early on but letting it sit it has really changed for the best.

Ok guys, my blonde is getting to that spot where you look forward to the next one as you are drinking one. Cant wait to see how it is as time goes on. I was a bit down on the taste early on but letting it sit it has really changed for the best.

How long have you had it in the bottle? And you're right.. it gets much better with a little aging!

It is a long time... Probably way too long. I'd say a week is plenty good enough. The first time I brewed this, I got busy and just didn't have time to bottle, so it ended up being there for a month. The second time I brewed it I only left it in for about two weeks, but I think you could get away with a week. Maybe some other guys will chime in on this...

OK, makes sense. Think I'll probably go the "halfway" route and go for the two weeks then. I don't have a place to cold crash it, so maybe that's the safer route?

OK, makes sense. Think I'll probably go the "halfway" route and go for the two weeks then. I don't have a place to cold crash it, so maybe that's the safer route?

Yeah, I think you'll be fine. I never cold crashed anything until just recently, so neither of my batches of this brew were cold crashed and they were fine.

I usually start drinking within 2 weeks. 30 days is probably a good length of time but i can't usually wait that long.

Ha ha, I usually have that same problem! I was really good on the last brew and waited the full 30.....easier to do because I was on travel for work though. ;)

What's your thoughts on frozen or fresh berries? I went fresh for my first time. Chopped them in half then quartered the halves.

I guess absent hearing of the use of frozen strawberries I would Vitamix purée those bad boys, then heat to 160 degrees for 6 minutes, cool, then dump into the secondary. That's what I did when I made huckleberry blackberry mead and it turned out bursting with flavor!

Quick question: should I wait for primary fermentation to subside or stick to the 6 days?? Mine has been rocking for 5 days with no indication of slowing down.

I guess absent hearing of the use of frozen strawberries I would Vitamix purée those bad boys, then heat to 160 degrees for 6 minutes, cool, then dump into the secondary. That's what I did when I made huckleberry blackberry mead and it turned out bursting with flavor!

Oh don't worry, the frozen strawberries provide PLENTY of flavor!

Bluelinebrewer said:
Oh don't worry, the frozen strawberries provide PLENTY of flavor!

I'm sure, I tend to go overboard. I did read that someone felt that with the heat treatment I mentioned could lead to diminished flavor akin to preserves.

I'm sure, I tend to go overboard. I did read that someone felt that with the heat treatment I mentioned could lead to diminished flavor akin to preserves.

Yeah, I've never gone with that method. The first time I made this recipe, I hoped and prayed that the freezing would kill any bacteria! Lol. So far, so good!

I have brewed this twice now. First time was the extract recipe and this last time I did the all grain version. I am set to bottle the all grain batch on Monday. Great beer.
One criticism I got from a couple different people was that it hat a kind of plasticky aftertaste on my extract batch. I couldn't taste it but I've had 2 people say they could any ideas?

Hmmm, I got nothing... I've never experienced that. I saw a thread recently about someone else having an issue with a "plasticy" taste.. ill see if I can locate it.

Look up "chlorophenal". Comes from chlorinated tap water and creates medicnal or plastic-like flavors. Just a thought.

Yeah, that'll do it. In the Woodbridge VA area they use a chlorination substitute that doesn't boil out I have to use bottled water. A buck a gallon is well worth the cleaner taste.

Look up "chlorophenal". Comes from chlorinated tap water and creates medicnal or plastic-like flavors. Just a thought.

Yeah!! That's the word. I knew I had read a thread about it somewhere.. but I couldn't find it.. I.e. the search function on this mobile app sucks balls!

I gave a brew book that is awesome and free...forgot the dude's name..had a few ;-), that goes over that really well. If you pm me I can email it to you

Just kegged a slightly modified version of this on Saturday and had a taste. I brew 10 gallons with a buddy and we split into two 5 gallons. Both loved the taste right out of the fermenter, and we are usually IPA drinkers. Wife loved it too and said she can't wait until its carbed, she doesn't usually like the stuff we make. Awesome thanks guys!!!

Just kegged a slightly modified version of this on Saturday and had a taste. I brew 10 gallons with a buddy and we split into two 5 gallons. Both loved the taste right out of the fermenter, and we are usually IPA drinkers. Wife loved it too and said she can't wait until its carbed, she doesn't usually like the stuff we make. Awesome thanks guys!!!

Good to hear! Yeah, the ladies tend to like this one! How'd you modify the recipe? If you don't mind me asking.

It's finally ready and delicious!!!

image.jpg

There isno mention of priming sugar in your recipe. Do the strawberries provide that or should it be added at bottling time?

Add it at bottling like you would for any other beer.

What he said...

I did have something happen on my latest batch that I've never had happen before... After adding the strawberries, I let it set for a week at about 60*, which is what my basement is at right now. I was concerned about a strawberry volcano, so I left it in the basement. I didn't see any blowoff activity for the entire time it was down there, but I did get a big whiff of CO2 one night while taking a "smell sample". I racked off the strawberries, and put it in a tertiary and let it set for a week at about 68*. I noticed airlock activity for the entire week! Even when I went to cold crash, it was still popping bubbles every 10 seconds or so. I took a hydro reading and it was at 1.008, which is what it was when I transferred to the tertiary.. So, I assume I'm good to go. I can't imagine whatever sugars were added to the mix wouldn't be fermented out in a week... sure hope I don't have bottle bombs!! :confused:

Son of a $%^!!!! Ok, need a few opinions on this one. Like I said before I adjusted. Wanted a more muted flavor so went with 5 lbs instead of 8 and went fresh instead of frozen. Didn't blend, just chopped myself....MISTAKE! There's not even a hint of strawberry flavor and I racked to the tertiary a week and a half ago. I'm considering buying a bag of frozen and racking onto them and leaving another week or two. Thoughts?

vhanley said:
Son of a $%^!!!! Ok, need a few opinions on this one. Like I said before I adjusted. Wanted a more muted flavor so went with 5 lbs instead of 8 and went fresh instead of frozen. Didn't blend, just chopped myself....MISTAKE! There's not even a hint of strawberry flavor and I racked to the tertiary a week and a half ago. I'm considering buying a bag of frozen and racking onto them and leaving another week or two. Thoughts?

If you want to add more berries, i cant see what it would hurt. Just treat your terrtiary as your secondary and start over. The beer is finished. At this point all you are trying to do is add strawberry flavor. Make sure everything is sanitized and be very carefule not oxygenate the beer with the additional transfers.

Bluelinebrewer said:
Good to hear! Yeah, the ladies tend to like this one! How'd you modify the recipe? If you don't mind me asking.

Nothing to different I just had a few different hops that I needed to use. Off the top of my head I think I used a little Cascade. I made sure the ibu's were about the same though.

I usually get pretty clear beers but this one I don't think it will ever clear up. I assume its the berries, is that correct?

Back