How long will crushed grains last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirch3333

Reaction score
Say I bought an all-grain recipe kit online this past august. I ordered the kit with crushed grains due to the fact that I don't have a mill. The crushed grains came an an airtight bag although it was not vacuum sealed and had some air in it. I didn't get around to brewing it because of a money situation that left me unable to buy/build the appropriate all-grain equipment. Would the grains still be good? Should I at least give it a shot to see how it turns out? It would be my first all-grain brew day and a good practice run for a Citra IPA I have planned. Go or no go? Thanks for the input!

If they were kept dry and cool and maybe not much light they are fine.

Expect low efficiency and have some dme to bump up your OG if new be.

But def worth an attempt, you can only make beer.

Should be fine, go for it. As long as they have been treated properly (kept away from heat, moisture, bugs), crushed grain will be fine for many, many months.

I used to buy crushed grains. I have brewed 6 month old crushed recipes several times without issue.

Mine were kept in a refrigerator.

Any crushed grains I have left over from a recipe (since most places won't let you buy in < 1 lb increments) always go into a vacuum sealed bag and into the freezer. A decent vacuum sealer isn't more than $50-75 and is well worth the investment for brewing with grains vice extract IMO. Bags are reusable if you wash and dry them thoroughly which saves cost

You will be fine. I used to go crazy if I let them sit for a month but have done about 4 batches that were 6 months old, lost 4% in efficiency. I compensated by boiling down a tine bit lower....all worked out

Thanks everybody! What about yeast packaged last April. It's been in the fridge and I plan to make a starter. Does the yeast go bad or does the amount if yeast cells just lower. If the number of cells is lower than usual the starter should make up for that.

Back