Plastic carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearded_brew

Reaction score
Howdy-
Does anyone have experience with turning a 5 gallon Poland Springs plastic carboy into a fermenting vat? Is that something that can be done without much complication?

Thanks

E.t.h.

The main issue people run into is that those water carboys are exactly 5 gallons. That means that even with a blowoff tube, you can really only reasonably ferment a 4 gallon batch in one of those guys. Without a blowoff tube, you're looking at more like 3.5 gallon batches.

Other than that, just pop a drilled bung and a airlock or blowoff tube on it, and it's a fermenter.

I use a 3 gallon bottle like that. It actually seems to hold more than 3 gallons (measured). It was full to the very top when I got it, but I poured water in it and marked it off in 1/2 gal increments. At 3 gal, it leaves some room (but still needs a blowoff tube). Measure the water into it and see if it's really 5 gallons and mark it so you know how much you have as you fill it.

I'll probably get another - either 3 or 5 gallons.

Depending what you put in there, the plastic may eventually take on some odor or color. They are also probably not suitable for long term aging. Other than that if they can hold liquid I've probably fermented in them. :)

There are a million threads on this. One of the issues other than size is the type of plastic they are made of. They are made of a polycarbonate plastic that can allow air to permeate and leech off flavors. Many use them however I do not recommend it. Spend a few bucks to get a 6.5-7.9 gallon fermentation bucket from a local home brew shop. It will not leech off flavors and will be by far easier to clean.

Back