Sediment floating in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boser37

Reaction score
Bottled a dogfish 60 min clone a week and a half ago. It finished at 1.015 and tasted great. I bottled using the traditional 3/4 cup corn sugar boiled in a cup of water. I checked the beers yesterday and there is alot of visible sediment floating in it. Nothing has dropped to the bottom and I'm a little nervous. I used wyeast 1056 smack pack and sanitized everything properly. Any thoughts?

Yeast could be working still to carb up. Give them another week and a half, fridge them for at minimum 48 hours, should be good to go. No worries. If anything just didn't do that great a job racking over and brought more trub material than you meant to.
If they start blowing up, then come back and tell us...

I had something like this happen with a few bottles in a recent batch. It turned out to be some flakes of the settlings in the bottom of the bottle floating around & got into my glass. I thought maybe I just jostled them loose handling them from storage to fridge? Nothing to worry too much about. Just give them plenty of fridge time to settle well.

I haven't chilled them yet but I'm hoping it will start to drop. I'll throw six or so in the fridge at the 3 week mark and see what happens to them. I dry hopped with pellets so I'm thinking maybe some of the hop residue got sucked up into my bottling bucket. I've just never had a beer look this in the bottle, I'll give it some more time and be sure to refrigerate them for at least 48 hrs.

If I dry hop, usually when I rack to my bottling bucket, I line the bucket with one of the paint strainer bags that I use to strain the hop trub out on the way into primary. Same idea, and as long as your paint bag is sitting flat on the bottom of the bottling bucket, you're not really risking any extra oxidation

If I dry hop, usually when I rack to my bottling bucket, I line the bucket with one of the paint strainer bags that I use to strain the hop trub out on the way into primary. Same idea, and as long as your paint bag is sitting flat on the bottom of the bottling bucket, you're not really risking any extra oxidation

I am a painting contractor and have found that the "stinger strainers" can be placed over the tubing and filtered that way. It is a small tube like strainer with a tie string on the top. It is made to cover the stinger tube on a paint sprayer. Just place it over the racking tube and siphon as usual. Doing it with this virtually eliminates the possibility of oxidation.

Wow I put in the fridge 5 days and what a difference. Have a solid layer on the bottom but with a decent pour this stuff is amazing. Thanks for the advice

Back