Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgive me for the dumb question but there's no way i could sit and sift through 130 pages looking for the answer..

The "yeast cake" or "yeast slurry" described.. Is this the sediments/ lees left over at the bottom of your fermentation container that gets left behind after a racking?

If so, i'll have to save the slurry from my white grape peach I have going..

Thanks

Yes. :)

Rather than reading all 130 pages to find an answer to a few questions, hopefully someone will see this post that could help me out really quick :D

So I'm making my first batch of SP & am planning on bottling it. Dumb question, but do most people drink it straight from the bottles or do you pour into a glass like you would homebrew to avoid picking up sediment? (SP seems like it would have a lot less sediment, 12 oz beer bottles is what I'll be using).
Also, is there any reason why I cannot bottle a little in a 2L soda bottle or something similar? I have a roadtrip coming up & would prefer not to bring a bunch of glass bottles since I reuse them for beer & don't want to worry about keeping track of em, cleaning em, etc etc. This way I could just bring some plastic cups to pour into. I don't plan on carbing em so I won't be worrying about it going flat. Any other factors to consider?

When my sp is finished there is no sediment. I use good old gravity and time so 3+ months. You can use finnings like described on the sp web site and be ready to bottle in 30 days but either way you should not need to worry about sediment.

However I like my sp on the rocks and chilled. So I do not drink from the bottle.

Going on a road trip? Want to use plastic bottles? Go for it! I do not see why that would not work for the short term.

Cool beans, thanks. Yah I was planning on using all the finings and what not to clear it.

Forgive me for the dumb question but there's no way i could sit and sift through 130 pages looking for the answer..

The "yeast cake" or "yeast slurry" described.. Is this the sediments/ lees left over at the bottom of your fermentation container that gets left behind after a racking?

If so, i'll have to save the slurry from my white grape peach I have going..

Thanks
Yes, and that will work fine.

I have a question that's probably answered in this thread but I'm not gonna read all 130 pages of this thread because forums pages are pretty much like real pages of a book and reading that many pages would take at least seven minutes and also forget google I'm not typing any of these keywords into a search engine because :government: so here goes:

Has any had any luck with lemon skeeter pee?

II'm not typing any of these keywords into a search engine because :government: so here goes:
The search engine here is not one that would be subpoenas by the govt. What about making skeeter pee exactly do you think the government cares about?

Originally Posted by American Homebrewers Association
Alaska statute § 04.21.015 permits the private manufacture of alcoholic beverages provided that the manufacture of such alcoholic beverage does not exceed the limit imposed on private manufacture under federal law or an area that has adopted local option law.

Has any had any luck with lemon skeeter pee?
I have to ask; what flavor do you think this is? Did you look at the original recipe? Not trying to be a smart ass, really, but your question seems strange.

Any advice scaling this down to 3 gallons? Its easy enough to scale the fermentables, but the tannin etc.... just want to make sure Im not over or underdoing it.

Well 3gallon vs 5 gallon is 60% of the original recipe. I would just use half the nutrient. Plus an extra 1/8 tsp of each at the beginning. For tannin I would just go half and say 3/8 tsp to start and after fermentation and clearing if you want more then you can adjust from there.

LBussy said:
The search engine here is not one that would be subpoenas by the govt. What about making skeeter pee exactly do you think the government cares about?

I have to ask; what flavor do you think this is? Did you look at the original recipe? Not trying to be a smart ass, really, but your question seems strange.

You have a lot of faith in your government man!

Also, that's a law about manufacturing alcohol, not a law that prevents the government from monitoring HBT and other Internet activity.

And although you may not have been intentionally trying to be a smart alec, the default HBT app font makes everyone seem at least a little smart alecy or sarcastic.

I think everyone is still a little confused about your original question. What do you mean "lemon flavored skeeter pee". Skeeter pee is lemon in every sense of the word. Tastes great by it's self or with additional flavoring.

My tap water is awful so my options are either distilled water or spring water. Which one do you guys prefer for making SP?

My tap water is awful so my options are either distilled water or spring water. Which one do you guys prefer for making SP?

This stuff is so acidic and lemony you're probably not going to notice any difference. You're also doping it up with a lot of sugar and a lot of tannin, nutrient, and energizer. With ABV near 10% I think you'll be losing whatever subtle mineral character the spring water would impart. Whichever is cheaper, I say. Make as much as you have room for in your fermenter. :)

On a related note, I just had my first glass (the "taste test") straight from the carboy. I stirred in about a tablespoon of sugar, it could have used more, but it was drinkable even without sweetening. And it was good.

Would distilled water lack the minerals for the yeast to take off or does the nutrient & energizer take care of that?

al_anderson311 said:
I think everyone is still a little confused about your original question. What do you mean "lemon flavored skeeter pee". Skeeter pee is lemon in every sense of the word. Tastes great by it's self or with additional flavoring.

So lemon is why they call it pee?

You have a lot of faith in your government man!
I participate in an awful lot of legal pastimes in which people exhibit the same sort of paranoia (pyrotechnics for one). I don't have faith in the government but I have faith that a bunch of people legally making fermented spirits results in the sort of signal to noise ratio that is uninteresting to an investigatory agency. As a matter of fact the only thing that's likely to bring a person sniffing is someone claiming that they don't want to use the search engine because the government is watching.

If you read the original recipe I linked, you will see that it's just lemonade. Read the website and you will see that the name is just a whimsical name to keep it unique more or less. Skeeter Pee is very hard lemonade, about twice the ABV of Mike's and better tasting as far as I'm concerned. The website is just a few pages but interesting so you should really go to the source at least once if you are thinking about this.

In my house it's called "Peeter Skee" because that was how it ended up one evening after drinking a bunch of it. It's also known between friends as "Panty Dropper" because when a 110# girl drinks two big glasses, someone is gonna get lucky.

What? I told everyone I am not reading 130 pages of this thread or using a basic Internet search. So if I missed something, that is to be expected.

Hey mike sorry if we are seeming hard or mean but as posted before just go to the web sight:

Www.skeeterpee.com

It is not a search but a direct path to the web sight that inspired this thread. You have like 2-3 pages to read and it tells you 98% of everything you need to know to make some SP.

It is hard for some to not act smart towards you when we have on a couple of occasions told you to go there and it seems you have ignored our response and look as though you are just too lazy to read more then a few sentences or too ignorant to understand that web site.

Again sorry if anything seemed mean but from your previous response I felt obligated to spell this out. Just read the web site, mix up a batch, take a few pictures and share it with the masses on this site. You will love the product and have fun with it.

Mike, as many times that you've responded to the various posts you could have just clicked on the link for the skeeter pee recipe and could have already made a batch. NO one on this forum is going to post what you're looking for, especially since it's already been posted and just using the search function will bring it up. I will make you a deal though, send me a check for $50 and I'll post the recipe directly on this forum for you! Just send me a pm and I'll send you my address,

It's also known between friends as "Panty Dropper" because when a 110# girl drinks two big glasses, someone is gonna get lucky.

Party!:mug: Too bad most all of the 110lb girls I know around here will get me a fine for providing to minors.

trainwreck2.jpg

Hey back on topic kind of since we have de-railed so badly as looneybomer has so well illustrated. I have a batch of SP that is using honey instead of sugar. OMG. I tasted it at first racking and it was a little yeasty up front as to be expected but it was sour, not tart, dry but surprisingly very smooth. It went from 1.07 down to 1.000 and I think it is less hot then my last normal SP? For those that make mead isn't that weird? I am loving the batch and here in another 3 - 4 weeks it should be crystal clear and ready for a second racking and taste test before back sweetening.

I broke out a couple of bottles of Skeeter Pee this weekend to serve at a party I hosted. EVERYONE loved the stuff, and couldn't believe that it was alcoholic. - until they started to feel the effects that is. :)
Easy to make and very tasty. I'll be starting another batch of this right away, because I don't think this batch is gonna last long.

Threw a batch of Pee together just over a week ago, and my airlock isn't doing a whole heck of a lot. I even hydrated a second packet of EC-1118 and tossed it in. Should I be seeing some action in the carboy..?

As far as how I threw it all together, I read multiple times that people have just tossed the sugar, juice, and water together and added yeast. So, that's the method I tried. I did add some yeast nutrient and energizer. But I haven't followed the instructions to a tee. (Just my luck, that's the problem...)

HopHeaven said:
"It's in the OP! Honestly, it's worth reading the whole thread, it's like apfelwein history. "

This was a post you recently made in the apfelwein thread. Take your own advice.
Also, I'm not saying I haven't read this whole thread and I'm not saying that I won't read the whole thread again, I'm just saying I'm not going to read it or click page one right now.

Threw a batch of Pee together just over a week ago, and my airlock isn't doing a whole heck of a lot. I even hydrated a second packet of EC-1118 and tossed it in. Should I be seeing some action in the carboy..?

As far as how I threw it all together, I read multiple times that people have just tossed the sugar, juice, and water together and added yeast. So, that's the method I tried. I did add some yeast nutrient and energizer. But I haven't followed the instructions to a tee. (Just my luck, that's the problem...)

SP does not have to be violent with the fermentation. Especially since you skimped on the nutrient. Whip out a hydrometer and give it a test. Wait a week and try it again. That will give a better indicator of how the wine is pumping along. Hopefully it does not stall on you. Since using 1118 I bet it will not but it might.

Next time at least make a 1 gallon batch of wine to get a good yeast cake to work off of. And then follow the directions as exactly as you can. Give this batch and your next a side by side test once the new one clears. It would be fun to see the differences.

passedpawn said:
Move on. No more troll posts. Last warning.

Sorry, parody post gone wild.

Kdog22 said:
Forgive me for the dumb question but there's no way i could sit and sift through 130 pages looking for the answer.

Acyr90 said:
Rather than reading all 130 pages to find an answer to a few questions, hopefully someone will see this post that could help me out really quick

wheineman said:
Also, what is the expected flavor here?

But check out this guy, who apparently has mastered the art of delayed gratification (a Buckeye no less, which I will not comment on):

buckeyeintexas said:
I finally read all 1200 posts and I want to start a batch of this in a few weeks.

I just put together a 3 gallon batch last night. Woke up, no sign of fermentation yet. How long before I should worry? Would giving her a good shake help her along?

CreamyGoodness said:
I just put together a 3 gallon batch last night. Woke up, no sign of fermentation yet. How long before I should worry? Would giving her a good shake help her along?

It could take up to 48 hours. Relax and have a drink. A shake wouldn't hurt, this stuff loves O2 in the beginning.

Agreed O2 is your friend. I use a wine whip 2-3 times daily for the first 4-5 days. I have seen visible fermentation kick in at the 30 & 36 hour mark. So up to 48 hours is a safe bet.

First batch I made took about 3 days to show anything (on 2 packs of 1118). Second batch I used a slurry of premiere cuvee and it took off in under 12 hours...

For those who made this without slurry, did you use 1 or 2 packets of EC-1118. Also, I just want to make sure I understand the timing of this beverage from must to glass. Does it normally take about 8 weeks?:

24 hours before pitching yeast
probably 3-4 days to get to 1.050 to add the nutrient
2 days later to a secondary
Probably ~12 days to get to 0.998
2 weeks after adding other nutrients
2 weeks add sugar
2 more weeks then bottle

For those who made this without slurry, did you use 1 or 2 packets of EC-1118.

Well, packets isn't really something I can tell you. I think most packets are 5g, but I buy 30g packets for the price of two-three 5g packets.

I believe normal pitch rate is 1g per 1 gal must, at least my packet says so. I believe I used 10g per 5 gallons and it took over immediately.

First batch I made took about 3 days to show anything (on 2 packs of 1118). Second batch I used a slurry of premiere cuvee and it took off in under 12 hours...

Just curious here, could you tell a difference in the end product between using 1118 or the premier cuvée? Or could you not do a side by side test?

Just curious here, could you tell a difference in the end product between using 1118 or the premier cuvée? Or could you not do a side by side test?

Haven't finished with the premier cuvee yet, I am cold crashing it now and I haven't back sweetened yet. I did get a lot of sulphur with the 1118 and haven't noticed it yet with the cuvee, so that is a bonus, but I believe that is partly because of the huge over pitching of healthy yeast with the cuvee.

Back