Hi Homebrewers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipe29

Reaction score
Hi all users in the forum, my name is Felipe and I'm from Santiago, Chile. I started as a user in this homebrew talk because I believe that in the US the last Years have brew a really good quality beers and I had the chance to drink like Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA, Dogfish 90, Stone Arrogant Bastard, Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale to name a few ones.

Now I'm starting to read a lot of articles and books to brew a nice beer like americans do nowadays and now I'm in a project with a Chilean Microbrewery to do a collaboration, so the idea is a hoppy American Brown Ale (50-60 IBU, 7 to 8% ABV) with hazelnuts but my fear is that if we do it too Hoppy (because we are gonna use american hops) the hazelnuts aroma-flavor get lost in the beer.

I want to do the technique that mash the hazelnuts and hydrate with hot water for mix more easly with the beer but i want to know in wich waves of the boil I drop out the hezelnuts in the beer. We want to use like 2 kg of hazelnuts.

I hope anyone of you can give me a little help
Cheers! :mug:

I think you should repost this with a more suiting description in the title. It sounds like quite a specialized question. You need some of the beer masters to have a look. Good luck.

Well,here's something my native American ancestors did with Hazelnuts. They were ground up & formed into a ball. Then steeped in hot water to make a tea out of them as a hot beverage in cooler weather.
You can forgo the ball shaping part. I think maybe do a seperate "mash" for the Hazelnuts & add that to secondary. This can likely keep the flavor level of the resulting nut "tea" up in contrast to the hops.
I'd also stay away from citrus flavored hops,going for something more floral/herbal like stirling,east kent golding,willamette,etc. Something earthy like fuggel mixed in might be a good idea to contrast the hazelnut.

Thanks for the advice, but my idea is to do an hybrid of 3 styles of beer (The hopyness of an IPA, the malty and nut profile of an brown ale and the high ABV and sweet & malty flavour of a scotch ale) to do something different in my country because here in Chile there is no culture in the american style ipa, pale ale, american brown ale, barley wine etc..... I know its not gonna be easy but i want to take the risk.

Cheers!

Mixing an American style IPA with a nut brown & Scotch ale is gunna be a bit much. A nut brown with a bit of creaminess from some maltodextrin would likely be a better choice. American IPA's have a lot of the citrusy hops in them in high enough levels that the hazelnut would likely get buried.

Back