I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been leaving my spent grain out on an aluminum panel to dry for the chickens, but every time I check on it the next day, it's gone. Once 14 pounds of grain gone overnight. Not sure what is getting it, either a bunch of little things or maybe deer.

I dump my grains in my backyard in the flower beds. My dog loves to eat it. Ask me how I know!
It actually never sours out there. It's such a dry climate here that it dries right out in a day before getting the chance to get stinky. After a few days I turn it in to the soil.

I have been leaving my spent grain out on an aluminum panel to dry for the chickens, but every time I check on it the next day, it's gone. Once 14 pounds of grain gone overnight. Not sure what is getting it, either a bunch of little things or maybe deer.

I caught a deer back there once, which is unusual given where I am. I get a lot of armadillos, and some raccoon, nibbling. My dog never touches it, which is funny, because she gobbles the dog treats I make for her from the grain.

I almost forgot you do not drink beer, LG! Aww, you would like the oregano beer I made. Still going over in my head how much it is worth to me to be able to share this wonderful creation. Hubby says, they don't have your taste buds, they will think it is terrible and make fun of you. He just doesn't want me to spend $15.00 to ship one bottle of beer.

I think most kids I went to highschool with needed a slap in the head. Some got one when they made me mad. :cross: If I had not quit when I did, probably I'd have been kicked out. Never went back for a GED or anything, no college. I am uneducated. Typical redneck with a name like BobbiLynn.

I take that back, I am not uneducated, I am self-educated.
Yeah, 15+ is to much to ship. He's right about that. Could you guesstimate your recipe for us maybe?

Hey, I'm actually going to have spent grain. Maybe I should make some granola bars.

Have many people asked "Why cant my beer be ready now? And should I drink with a hose from the carboy?"

Have many people asked "Why cant my beer be ready now? And should I drink with a hose from the carboy?"

Oh, straw in the carboy? I know nothing about that....

I am going to make some more of the oregano beer, get the recipe down. I pretty much know what I did. Probably the oregano I can ship in a small flat rate box from the post office for $5.00. I did post how I made it so I wouldn't forget. 2-row, crystal, and the oregano was pretty much it. I like simple recipes. Maybe I put corn sugar in it too, and a little homemade HME, will have to go back and look.

I'm going to have oregano in my garden this year anyway, I can plant a little more then usual with the gruit in mind. What I'm really wondering is how much of what? I'll probably do a 1 gallon batch to try first, then a larger one if I like it.

I'm going to have oregano in my garden this year anyway, I can plant a little more then usual with the gruit in mind. What I'm really wondering is how much of what? I'll probably do a 1 gallon batch to try first, then a larger one if I like it.

Okay, I did write it down, for 5 gallons:

6 pounds 2-row malt
1 pound Crystal malt
about 3 pounds extra pale LME
8 ounces dry corn sugar
1/2 pound fresh oregano with stems added in intervals, starting at one hour(half of them) and going to the last 5 minutes. 1 hour(1/4 lb.), 30 minutes(1/16), 20 minutes(1/16), 10 minutes(1/16) and 5 minutes(1/16 lb).
US- 05 for the yeast

It tastes like, well, oregano, but other tastes in there too. After 3 days, the yeast was dead and dropping out quickly, so pitched more, then it fermented another 2 days and then it was already clearing up again. I learned that oregano is used to treat yeast infections, it kills yeast. In the 5 days it fermented, it ate up all the sugars, was not sweet anymore. so just keep pitching yeast to it until you get the dryness you want. The yeast will die quickly and beer become clear way sooner than you'd expect.

I have an apple mint batch of gruit going now. Apple mint must not have the same properties as oregano because the yeast is still active after 5 days or so? Will have to look again when I started this one.

Mashed/steeped the grains in a bag, 50 minutes at about 150 degrees, then about 2 quarts sparge water at 170 degrees, bring to a boil, take off the heat, add the LME, bring back to a boil, add the dry corn sugar during second boil, I don't think it matters at what point you add it, but I added at intervals, when adding the oregano. That went to a grain bag, the oregano. Like you are making tea. Kept it floating on top, in the bag, adding more as I went along. Hope that makes sense, I am not experienced with writing recipes.

Thank you BL. It will be a while before I have much oregano here, but it will be on my list.

I've done ginger ale with mint before, it didn't seem to interfere with the fermentation at all. Though that was with dried mint, not fresh. I've got spearmint growing all over my back yard, so I might play with some later in the season. :)

I'll never look at a dancing banana the same way again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how much of my life I've spent watching cat videos?

Well, I think my brew day dances are less offensive than that.

This morning I got up early to call around for help getting some medical supplies hubby needed. I am an idealist, he is a realist. I think because I have always opened my heart and hands to help people that need help, now I get to ask for help. Because it's just right now we need help. Things like a roof, medical supplies. Once help to keep the electricity on. I'm not asking for a diamond ring or a new car. Only things that I feel like we need. He says what is wrong with your head??? You are asking for charity!!! Aren't we already getting enough help????

I didn't spend all my life helping random strangers so that when I need help I can't ask for it. It's just right now we need help, I will pay it forward the rest of my life, if I can just get the help I need right now. Of all my life, it's maybe just the last year, and maybe one more year that we need help. Don't I have some kind of karma credit? I think I do. He says I am delusional to think like that. People have helped us enough, stop asking for more. All they can do is say no, but they are not saying no, they are saying, sure we'll help. You've done things for me, I appreciate it, they seem happy to help, I don't think I am being that much of a burden on them. If they can't help, they say no, I can't do it right now. Maybe I am the crazy one. But I didn't spend my life helping people so the day I need help I can't get it. Ying/yang, give/take, what goes around comes around, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, do unto others, what is so hard to believe in that? Hubby says it's idealism and I am delusional thinking the world works this way. And he thinks he is realistic, help yourself, no one will help us. Well, maybe he doesn't have much karma built up, but I know I have karma built up and I'm not asking for anything I don't need. Food, shelter, medical supplies, the essentials. I don't even care about having special foods that I like more than other foods, just something to eat.

Here's the day 21 RYR experiment update.

Hmm, I have to say that I don't see karma that way. To me, karma is just an observation that all things are connected. Therefore, anything you do will effect you, whether you realize it or not. Not some kind of cosmic accounts book.

In any event, if you need help and don't ask for it you probably won't get it. If you don't ask, people won't know what you need.

12 of the brethren laid to rest today.

[ame]http://youtu.be/UkRHrJz6dkM[/ame]

Rest easy, Brothers. We've got the watch.

image-705332591.jpg

Leadgolem said:
In any event, if you need help and don't ask for it you probably won't get it. If you don't ask, people won't know what you need.

True, how would anyone know what you need if you don't ask?
Most people help others not just because someone needs help, but because it also makes the helper feel good.

Hmm, I have to say that I don't see karma that way. To me, karma is just an observation that all things are connected. Therefore, anything you do will effect you, whether you realize it or not. Not some kind of cosmic accounts book.

I was just pissed, ranting and raving. When I have helped people in the past it was because I could and I wanted to, not to build up some kind of credit. And I don't understand why I can't at least ask, not like I've been a taker all my life, well, maybe I do feel like I somehow deserve it. Like paying 10k or more in taxes year, after year, after year. Now hubby applies for disability and he is denied. That does piss me off. And some family members we've helped in the past, if they are able, why can't they exchange the favor. If they can, I'm not asking for their last dollar, asking the ones who are buying new boats, if they can afford a new boat, surely they can help with some medical expenses. Return the stupid boat, nothing was wrong with the old boat. One family member just bought some ridiculous machine(she already has half a dozen she doesn't use) for $3000 to help her lose weight. Just stop eating so much, we'll take that extra food. Yeah, I guess I am still a little pissed.

True, how would anyone know what you need if you don't ask?
Most people help others not just because someone needs help, but because it also makes the helper feel good.

When they call us and ask, what do you need? What do you need help with? Hubby says nothing, we are doing good. So I made him a list of things to ask for when people offer. When they ask, these are the things we need, some things on the list are just labor, no money involved, some cost a little, some cost a lot. If there is anything on the list they can help with, let them help!!!! He threw my list away and said I expect too much. He'll be getting back to work soon, he can handle all those things on the list himself, I just have to be patient. Well, I am out of ****ing patience.

I understand how he feels Bobbi. It sucks to be a man and feel that you are not providing for your family even if for a little bit of time because of sickness.

I think it was LG that commented that Karma was not a bank statement and I have to agree. For me at least it is a soul restoration project. I help others when I can and it makes me feel good about myself inside. And on occasion because I help some one something good happens back.

Yeah, okay, I showed my ass, acting like these self-entitled kids that make me so mad. So ****ing pissed right now. Just poured a beer, maybe that will calm me down. Been on the phone all day trying to get help with these medical supplies, which are so damn expensive. How can it possibly cost that much to make them. Because usually insurance companies pay, and they get charged out the ass. Try to pay yourself and you get all these inflated prices. Hubby and I both have always been self-employed, no insurance benefits through our jobs. Should have thought ahead, but didn't expect hubby to be unable to work at age 52. **** cancer.

I'm done ranting and raving, sorry. This oregano gruit is very good. Trying another bottle, will try to let some age.

Yeah, okay, I showed my ass, acting like these self-entitled kids that make me so mad. So ****ing pissed right now. Just poured a beer, maybe that will calm me down. Been on the phone all day trying to get help with these medical supplies, which are so damn expensive. How can it possibly cost that much to make them. Because usually insurance companies pay, and they get charged out the ass. Try to pay yourself and you get all these inflated prices. Hubby and I both have always been self-employed, no insurance benefits through our jobs. Should have thought ahead, but didn't expect hubby to be unable to work at age 52. **** cancer.

I'm done ranting and raving, sorry. This oregano gruit is very good. Trying another bottle, will try to let some age.

Sorry things are so hard for the hubby and you right now. I sure hope things get easier.

It should be a crime what these companies charge for medicine and medical equipment.

Best wishes my friend!

Happy Friday everyone. I see some sad stories out there, and as much as I'd like to comment, I'm just going to drop a musical hors d'oeuvre for your gastromusical enjoyment. It's Friday and as long as we can walk and talk, let's make the most of it. So, without further ado, ladies and germs, the Statler Brothers...

... for your late night soundrack.

BTW, the guy on the far left is the bass. Mr. Cool, the bass.

If I can make a suggestion. Try calling a local clinic, and ask them if they know of a company that supplies what you need. They may know of someplace that does income qualified pricing for uninsured people. Usually they have a portion of the difference between what they charge you and retail pricing made up in state and/or federal healthcare assistance programs. The rest they write off their taxes.

Hmm, I need to get more jasmine rice. I was going to start a big batch of rice wine today, but I only have like 4 cups of dry jasmine rice left.

There is an especially ugly chicken in the group, he is scraggly, spell check doesn't mark that in red so I guess it is a word. It's an ugly chicken. Camera is around here somewhere, will have to get his picture so I can scare away possible late night attackers or spammers.

Pictures came out terrible trying to take them at night, but probably just adds to his ugliness, too bad you can't see his ugly ass feet in the picture. This one gives me chills just looking at him. Ugly chicken.

uglychicken.jpg

BobbiLynn said:
When they call us and ask, what do you need? What do you need help with? Hubby says nothing, we are doing good. So I made him a list of things to ask for when people offer. When they ask, these are the things we need, some things on the list are just labor, no money involved, some cost a little, some cost a lot. If there is anything on the list they can help with, let them help!!!! He threw my list away and said I expect too much. He'll be getting back to work soon, he can handle all those things on the list himself, I just have to be patient. Well, I am out of ****ing patience.

Your hubby's not wanting to graciously accept help is hard to deal with. At times it can become selfish, even. Wouldn't he be hurt if someone refused his help? I bet he would. The hard part is in allowing others the gift of giving. People love to help. Denying that denies their humanity.

Now that I've said that part, I'll say that I'm horribly ashamed of the way my soon-to be ex- husband was not (in my eyes) appropriately thankful for the overly generous help he got when he was seriously injured. Everyone kept saying he was great, etc., but I had to tend to his medical needs while working full time, and he never even wrote out the thank you notes I bought for him to send to people. I feel like a jerk because it's usually the woman who does that stuff. But I figured I didn't have time, and it was him they were giving money, etc. to. Ah, well, that is the past.
Your joyful spirit will carry you. And your friends here are on your side, any way we can help.

Once my son said when asked if his mother(me) ever physically hurt him and he replied "No, but she made us afraid she would". He was 5 or 6 years old then and some kind of incident happened where I was questioned by the children/family government group, my kids questioned too.

I don't even know why I'm back to thinking about the self defense classes. I want him(the person who attacked me knows who he is), or anyone else to know, do not try to attack me. I will defend myself and you will get hurt. The instructor said I had very good instincts and "street smarts". Like how to say back off, but also be in an offensive/defensive position, depending on what is needed. Hands up, palms out. I am looking forward to more classes, the instructor says I am "a natural", I think that has something to do with me living in the woods.

Bonking cap...

I don't have much to say tonight. I've not been working the crazy hours for a few days, and I feel pretty good. I'll probably only end up with 43-44 hours this week.

Back