cheap amber ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky7slw

Reaction score
piecing together a cheap amber beer and was wanting feedback if anyone can help me.

7 lbs 2 row
2 lbs flaked barley ( thought ordered corn )
8 oz. caramel 60
8 oz carapils

1 oz cascade (60 min)
1 oz cluster ( 15 min)
1 oz cluster (5 mins)

mash at 149 for 60 mins
yeast us-05.

Thanks in advance!

I changed it a little to get it more amber, more of a full amber now, but does this sound OK...

7 lbs 2 row
2 lb flaked barley
2.5 lb caramel 80
8 oz cara pils

1 oz cascade 60 min
.5 oz cluster 15 mins
.5 oz cluster 5 mins

153 target temp
Us05 yeast

I'm not too familiar with the caramel 80 but sounds like a good easy recipe. Have you ran it through the homebrew calculator?

Do you have those hops on hand, or are you going to buy them?

If you are going to buy them, may I suggest replacing the Cluster with Centenial. I make almost all of my ambers with Centenial as the flavoring and aroma hop, as it adds a subtle fruity and floraly taste/smell that I think is a perfect compliment to the amber style!

All that C80 might put it a bit on the dark side, maybe consider using C60 instead.

Ironically I actually need a quarter ounce of centennial and cascade for my blonde ale.

As it stands after putting it into brewtarget, it looks like 19.7 is the color, and I will switch to centennial , I love working with that variety

If I put it into hopville...(beersmith not working correctly on laptop.) , with 60, and 6lbs of 2 row, about 17 srm and 33 ibu with centennial

Back