Think I made Mistake...HELP!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wt23

Reaction score
Hi,
This is my second batch of larger and I think I have completely messed it up.
I added more sugar during primary fermentation, however i did not use boiling water to dissolve it. There was a big fizzle, its calmed down not but will my beer be undrinkable now or can i save it?

Thanks

Thanks guys. I put in like quarter of a KG. The ABV was only like 3.27 so i wanted to make it stronger, I wasn't expecting that little mini explosion lol the room stinks like a brewery now lol
phew thought I would have to waste beer :D

LOL, kinda like pop rocks into a bottle of coke?
For next time, dried malt extract would be a better choice to add fermentables to a beer, but sugar works just fine.

Yeah I'll give that a go next time. Is it better to use that rather than brewing sugar from the start.?

IM thinking of moving on to ale next.

It depends...

DME won't ferment out fully like corn/cane sugar will, so the end result in the beer is a fuller mouthfeel due to more unfermentables compared to the other sugars mentioned. Let this beer finish up and give it a taste, if you love it, brew it again the same as before. If you feel like it's missing something, try using DME.

The main thing you should be focussed on (as a new brewer), is sanitation and trying to get the best fermentation possible out of your yeast. If you're using dried yeast, start by rehydrating. It makes a difference!

Would have been a good idea to boil the sugar, but that's acceptable. As a personal preference, I'd rather make a great small beer style than add sugar.

Did you top off the fermenter with water? I did that once and didn't mix it well enough in the carboy with the higher density wort. The result was a hydrometer reading that was 1.030 and it should have been 1.055.

It'll be fine :)

I didn't top up with water I did make a mess though lol. It's smelling good so think will be ok :)

Yeah I got some sanitizer solution cuz I heard that's one of the main pitfalls.

Back