Magic Bean Thread?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mods shut the big one down awhile ago...then another one popped up, and that one just disappeared as well. I was searching for the second one and it is totally nuked....not even ashes.

Thanks. Got early peek at the second one, and it seemed more coherent but overall pimping theme remained.

Only value in original was humor and traffic stats.

Somethings still rotten in the state of Denmark about the whole thing......I'll let the starry eyed wanderers and the cynical bastards duke it out in there, and if the product ever hits the marketplace THEN make a decision.

Methinks that they perhaps made a product for the production of ethanol, for fuel....and then, knowing little if anything about making alcohol that actually has FLAVOR in it, thought they'd branch out and see if there'd be any interest. Probably not even knowing anything about brewing, or how it actually will make anything tasty or not, or that there even ARE different strains used in brewing to produce different flavors of beer (or maybe that there even are different flavors of beer.)

And of course thinking this was a little rinky dink site, and maybe they'd get a handful of suckers, I mean Guinea Pigs, I mean product testers, to answer THEIR OWN QUESTIONS about the usability of this stuff for anything other than fuel, mentioned the word "Free." It started a feeding frenzy for freebies and a bombarding of technical questions, neither of which they were prepared to cope with......

So then they saw dollar signs, and threw in the kickstarter campaign as well to try to squeeze a few bucks from the starry eyed fools....Doesn't anyone remember that old saying, "you can't get something for nothing" anymore?

somethings still rotten in the state of denmark about the whole thing......i'll let the starry eyed wanderers and the cynical bastards duke it out in there, and if the product ever hits the marketplace then make a decision.

Methinks that they perhaps made a product for the production of ethanol, for fuel....and then, knowing little if anything about making alcohol that actually has flavor in it, thought they'd branch out and see if there'd be any interest. Probably not even knowing anything about brewing, or how it actually will make anything tasty or not, or that there even are different strains used in brewing to produce different flavors of beer (or maybe that there even are different flavors of beer.)

+1

Well, it's only a matter of time before someone here brews with it and posts results. I'll admit I wanted to. I brew a lot of split batches (all of them, really), so I was prepared to do a side-by-side test with a known recipe and yeast.

I'm guessing they have just trapped a bunch of off-the-shelf yeast in balls of some type of permeable material. We can opine on the pros and cons of this, but the only thing that matters now is how the beer is affected.

Assuming flavor is good, there might be some nice benefits in the process by using these beads. Yeast are very messy. Consider how much effort we make to remove yeast from the beer before we drink it. (I'm assuming a hefeweisen will be a problem with these beads.)

I think it is quite obvious that the OP doesn't really know much about brewing beer. However, he did mention that he had a brewery using the "magic beans". I'll admit that it smells fishy but I am going to reserve judgement until someone posts some results. I nominate passedpawn as our official HBT tester.

I think it is quite obvious that the OP doesn't really know much about brewing beer. However, he did mention that he had a brewery using the "magic beans". I'll admit that it smells fishy but I am going to reserve judgement until someone posts some results. I nominate passedpawn as our official HBT tester.

I also think that in the original thread there were two "voices" speaking on behalf of the company. I think the first one was an overzealous "pitchman" salesman type person, you know the type, a "yes" man. Who got in over his head, and started saying yes to everything without understanding, and making promises about free stuff, and brought up the kickstarter, and then later the developer, the scientist who identified himself, came in and took over, when it got out of hand. A little more level headed, and rational but the damage was done.

I agree Passedpawn should be the tester.

I'm guessing they have just trapped a bunch of off-the-shelf yeast in balls of some type of permeable material. We can opine on the pros and cons of this, but the only thing that matters now is how the beer is affected.

It has to be more than that. My guess is they have isolated reproduction incompetent mutants (and who knows what else that brings along to the party).

Back