Heavy Seas' Riptide yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tunder2

Reaction score
So I just tried Heavy Seas' Riptide White IPA this weekend, and it was great. I have one left from the 6-pack and was wondering if I could save a bit to make a starter from it. However, I'm not sure if the yeast is harvest-able based on my interaction with the Heavy Seas Twitter account.
10fd0d0f9afb48f1a9dfdcb16be8d924.png

So what's your opinion? Does "unactive" mean I could make a starter from it? Or do you think that means totally dead?
I guess there's one surefire way to find out, but I thought I'd ask for the community's opinion as well!
:mug:

You could try harvesting from the bottle--what's the worst that can happen? However Heavy Seas website says they use a "classic Belgian Wit yeast," so probably WLP 400 or Wyeast 3944, which are both readily available, would work just fine.

Would love to see some updates on this/ let us know how it turns out.

I'll definitely give it a shot! I'm out of DME, so when I next pick some up, I'll try it out and update.

I'm guessing he took your question as asking if there was active yeast, as in would it do something unhealthy, or will it cause the bottle to eventually explode. Most regular people don't harvest yeast from bottles, you know, so they would probably be trying to interpret the question from a regular person's viewpoint. Also, they did give you a good hint of what it was. I'd say go for it.

I read that it is absolutely harvestable. Unactive yeast is not dead or filtered out, and so should be viable.

Latest posts

Back