Hop utilization & timing of extract additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halifax-Dan

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is a loaded question so please bear with me:

I’d like to make an extract recipe that calls for the addition of all of the malt extract at the beginning of the boil. However, I heard that a good rule of thumb when using extract is to add 1/3 of it at the beginning of the boil and the other 2/3 ten minutes before the end (to avoid caramelization). That being said, since this will change the gravity of my boil, I read that hop utilization will also be effected. Is there a way I can calculate how to adjust my hop schedule (timing of additions and quantity added) so I can still hit my target IBU’s?

To complicate matters, I was also advised that adding Maltodextrin would be a good way to go for head retention and mouthfeel (my recipe doesn’t call for this). How will this play into things if I decide to add it? Will this change the gravity of my boil and also need to be accounted for when deciding when/what quantity of hops to add?

Thanks guys. Any advice is much appreciated!

Cheers,
Dan

Beer Smith can calculate your ibu with late malt additions. I havnt ever noticed any over bittering by doing almost all if not all of my extract at knockout. According to the program it has a crazy effect on the ibu but from personal experience i havnt noticed it.

Back