Alabama Homebrew Legislation 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember, if this passes the senate and the governor signs it, it become law immediately. So Mississippi could still be last. :)

So who in Alabama just whipped up 15 gallons of homebrew to celebrate with;)

That was a historical moment. I'm glad I listened.

EDIT: I guess it's not official...I don't follow this legal stuff much...

It still has to go to the senate. There is very little opposition in the senate.

Noted. I've got a friend that just moved to Cullman and is itching to get started homebrewing again. Pretty stoked for him and everyone else there once this gets finished.

Looking forward to clocking out and enjoying a barleywine at home. Half in celebration and half in mourning for the brain cells that suicided while I listened to these idiots. :mug::mad:

-Rich

Good deal.

I wish I could have been listening to Alvin Holmes.

For pure head shaking entertainment value, not much beats the Alabama House.

Some thanks should go out to Mississippi. I think that you embarrassed Alabama enough to push this over the top.

And article from Al.com.

I didn't know that the "register with the Sheriff" amendment got to a vote. Man, I am glad that didn't pass.

MONTGOMERY, Alabama -- The House of Representatives voted 58-33 this evening for a bill to make it legal to brew beer at home in Alabama.

The bill, by Rep. Mac McCutcheon, R-Huntsville, would allow those 21 and older to make up to 15 gallons of beer, wine, mead or cider every three months for personal use. It would not be legal in dry counties or dry cities.

McCutcheon said brewing is a legitimate hobby that is currently illegal in Alabama.

"It's a rights issue for people to be able to have a hobby that they enjoy," McCutcheon said.

Alabama is the only state that doesn't allow people to brew small amounts of beer at home for personal use. Mississippi was the previous holdout state.

McCutcheon said some people who move to Alabama are shocked to find their favorite hobby is a crime here.

The brew bill prompted a lengthy and spirited debate on the House floor. Some lawmakers likened the brewing activities to moonshiners. Others argued the state shouldn't do anything else to promote alcohol use.

"I think we've got enough folks walking around drunk," Rep. Berry Forte, D-Eufaula, said.

Rep. Arthur Payne, R-Trussville, said he didn't understand why legislators wanted to limit smoking, which is deadly, but is promoting alcohol, which he said also can be deadly.

"I don't understand why this body, year after year, wants to promote alcohol on the people of Alabama," Payne said.

McCutcheon said the home brewers he has met aren't interested in downing copious amounts of alcohol.
"It's about an art," McCutcheon said.

Home brewing enthusiasts have been trying for years without success to get the bill through the Alabama Legislature. The bill, a few years ago, won the House's "Shroud Award" for the deadest bill of the legislative session.

McCutcheon narrowly fought off, with a 40-36 vote, an attempt to amend the bill and require home brewers to register with their local sheriff.

The bill now moves to the Alabama Senate.

"Home brewing enthusiasts have been trying for years without success to get the bill through the Alabama Legislature. The bill, a few years ago, won the House's "Shroud Award" for the deadest bill of the legislative session."

Awesome!

Cheers!

My favorite part was when he had to explain the noncommercial uses outside the home that didn't include drinking it. He even mentioned that we do competitions, but the rep didn't understand until he likened it to a bbq cookoff

It is a rainy dreary day in Lower Alabama, but I am still glowing from the victory in the House yesterday.

I just wanted to thank Huff and all of the folks up north that pushed so hard to get us this far.

Let's get on the phone and start e-mailing the Senate.

It's not over yet, but the end is in sight!

Well congratulations to my home state of Alabama. I have some Tennessee brewed beer that I will bring down to celebrate next time in town!

Whew, had no idea the stupid sheriff amendment would be that close.

Not only would that have been a pain, but it would have been a potentially expensive administrative nightmare that could have killed the bill.

Bullet dodged.

So, what's the status with the senate? Any idea when this might make it into the floor there?

No plan in the Senate right now.

We are "Strategerygizing" as Bush Jr. would have said. Give me a few days and we will have an action plan. I'll pass along here.

Thanks to everyone who wrote, called, faxed, and e-mailed House members. We will need an effort just as strong in the Senate. Holtzclaw has not had 3 years of defending this bill like Mac has, so we are going to have to do our part to take some of the pressure off of him.

Is there a place where we can see who voted which way? I've been using the ALISON site trying to find it but my connection is god awful when it comes to speed. If anyone has a link or can tell me how to get there that'd be great. :)

Vote
Vote
* House District 11, Vacant P * House District 97, Vacant P
Baker Y Ball Y
Bandy P Barton Y
Baughn N Beckman N
Beech Y Black Y
Boman Y Boothe Y
Boyd Y Bracy Y
Bridges N Brown Y
Burdine Y Buskey P
Butler N Buttram N
Carns N Chesteen N
Clouse Y Coleman-Evans N
Collins Y Colston Y
Davis N DeMarco Y
Drake Y England Y
Farley N Faust Y
Fincher Y Ford Y
Forte N Gaston N
Givan Y Greer Y
Greeson N Grimsley Y
Hall Y Hammon Y
Harper Y Henry Y
Hill Y Holmes Y
Howard N Hubbard (J) Y
Hubbard (M) Y Hurst N
Ison Y Jackson P
Johnson (K) N Johnson (R) Y
Johnson (W) Y Jones N
Knight Y Laird N
Lee N Lindsey Y
Long Y Love N
Mask Y McAdory N
McCampbell P McClammy Y
McClendon N McClurkin P
McCutcheon Y McMillan P
Melton Y Merrill N
Millican N Mitchell P
Moore (B) Y Moore (M) A
Morrow N Newton (C) Y
Newton (D) P Nordgren Y
Patterson Y Payne N
Poole Y Rich N
Roberts Y Robinson (J) P
Robinson (O) Y Rogers Y
Sanderford Y Scott Y
Sessions N Shiver Y
Standridge N Todd P
Treadaway N Tuggle N
Vance Y Wallace N
Warren Y Weaver Y
Williams (D) Y Williams (J) P
Williams (P) Y Wood N
Wren Y
Total Yea: 58 Legislative Day: 16
Total Nay: 33 Legislative Date: 04/02/2013
Total Abs: 1 Vote ID: 239

Y = Yea, N = Nay, A = Abstain, P = Pass (Not Voting or Not Present)

* Not an official report from the State of Alabama Legislative offices *

BTW, I see that my Rep (Randy Davis) voted no this year. Last year he passed. He has voted no or passed on every alcohol related vote that he has made.

Time to vote no on him

Was pleased to see that Rep. Hill, mine, voted yes. He's been spotty on alcohol bills, with a few abstentions and a no or two, but he came through this time.

Glad I was able to get through and email him; his info on the Free the Hops site was out of date.

-Rich

Thanks guys.

Good to know that Paul Beckman will not be receiving my vote in the next election nor (most likely) another 13 votes from voting age family members that also live in his district. On the plus side, 2 of the other House members in my Zip (not mine though) voted Yay so it's not all bad.

Who would have thought Alvin Holmes would be a Yay vote this year. Must be the 13 in the year. Only explanation.

Merrill voted no again, as he has vowed to do on every single alcohol related bill. He did graciouly state that he would not oppose a referendum bill... knowing full well that this would NEVER be a referendum bill.

Vote no for John Merrill.

Guys - take 5 minutes and send a handwritten note to your Rep.

You can find their address here: http://www.legislature.state.al.us/house/representatives/houseroster_alpha.html Use the Statehouse address.

If they voted yes, thank them.

If they voted no, thank them anyway. There is no better way to prove we aren't all horrible people. "Rep. XX, Thank you for taking the time to participate in the debate on HB9. Although our viewpoints on the bill differed, I would like to Thank You for your service in the Legislature.

Sincerely,

Joe
Homebrewer
Somewhere, AL"

or whatever short polite note you want to send. There is no need to say "I'm never voting for you again" or anything else negative as that gives them ammo for the 'bad-people' argument.

No need to send one to everybody, no need to e-mail or call. Take a sheet of printer paper, write a quick note, drop it in the mail. It will have an impact. These guys talk to Senators...

Back