Contamination? 1mm "Floaters" in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeMorganjr

Reaction score
I am a new brewer(and poster). I have some questionable looking yellowish chunks that appeared in my secondary. They range in size from .25-1.5mm and there aren't that many that I can see(estimate 25-30 total). The beer is below specified FG and is currently sitting @ 1.008(OG was 1.064). The airlock cycles every +/- 3 minutes. It has been 13 days since the pitch. WL Trappist Ale 500 was used (with 2L starter). It tastes fine. This is my third batch and is a NB Abbey Ale clone from AHS.

I am just looking for some guidance on the matter from some who are more experienced than my self. Tomorrow was going to be bottling day, and I am wondering how I should move forward. Should I filter the beer before bottling? Wait and see if the yeast clears it out?

The one in the picture with the tail is an exception, most are irregular and spherical in shape. Thank you all for any input.

P1020160.jpg

P1020163.jpg

Those look like yeast rafts, you're fine.

Many new brewers use secondaries because that's what they're told to do, but most experienced breweries realize they don't do anything for most beers except give you another shot at contaminating and oxidizing the beer. But either way if you're at 13 days and already in the secondary, you probably transferred too soon. Especially considering there's a krausen ring, so you had some active ferm in the secondary.

The best way to think about a secondary is not as a fermenter, but rather a bright tank or bulk aging tank. It should be transferred after all active fermentation is over, and after the yeast has been given a chance to clean things up a bit. It's appropriate when you're aging for months, or adding fruit, or aging on oak cubes, or other similar situations, but otherwise it's not necessary.

Most of us do 2-4 week primaries then keg or bottle. Dry hopping is fine in the primary.

Awesome. A quick image search confirms y'alls diagnosis. I appreciate your quick replies and advice.

Latest posts

Back