If you could have any object turned into a tap handle, what would it be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image-1668284592.jpg

I'm thinking a flathead rod and piston for one.
Maybe a stromberg 97 carb if I could fit in in the lineup and it wasn't too heavy.
A 50 BMG round ( dummy round )
A hand grenade
a 65 buick skylark hood ornament

I'm holding off on a couple of new tap handles until I see if I'm getting a mini lathe (still haven't decided). That way I'll be able to [easily] make the mount for the fake silencer I have my eyes on (works with AR15's). :D I think that would be cool to use for the bigger brews. Like the 8.9% old ale, or 12.5% wee heavy. :rockin: Basically, they're to shut people UP! :fro:

Oh, and I have some 50 BMG dummy rounds on hand...

Good thinking.... then you could keg as good a clone as you could manage in that tap.

Or you could use an antique Schiltz can just to be a wiseacre, and keg something enjoyable on that tap.

Good thinking.... then you could keg as good a clone as you could manage in that tap.

Or you could use an antique Schiltz can just to be a wiseacre, and keg something enjoyable on that tap.

Do this, then take some paint or an appropriate colored marker and color in the "L" on the label. Then see if any of your friends notice the "schitz" beer can!

The bent connecting rod out of my blown-up HEMI. :)

Just about any automotive or engine part, especially from one you blew yourself, would be cool...
I'd like a headstock from a Fender Strat, Tele, P or Jazz bass, but I'd hate to ruin a guitar...
But imagine having the remains of an authentic Hendrix strat as a tap handle...

I'd like to adapt an old set of .357 MAG. Highway Patrolman Model 28 walnut grips... A Big N Frame in your hand as you pour a Stout...

Just about any automotive or engine part, especially from one you blew yourself, would be cool...
I'd like a headstock from a Fender Strat, Tele, P or Jazz bass, but I'd hate to ruin a guitar...
But imagine having the remains of an authentic Hendrix strat as a tap handle...

I have a parts box of blown parts from the couple of times I have rebuilt my Harley's motor. Wonder if anything in there would make a good tap; maybe a cam or something.

I'd like to adapt an old set of .357 MAG. Highway Patrolman Model 28 walnut grips... A Big N Frame in your hand as you pour a Stout...

I have a piece of .50 BMG brass that I managed to save over the years from when I was in the Corps I plan on using for a tap handle at some point.

I have a parts box of blown parts from the couple of times I have rebuilt my Harley's motor. Wonder if anything in there would make a good tap; maybe a cam or something.

I'm sure you can find more than a couple of things in that box to adapt... I'd love to have some HD motor parts to convert/turn into handles. :D

I have a piece of .50 BMG brass that I managed to save over the years from when I was in the Corps I plan on using for a tap handle at some point.

That can be done pretty easily. I did it with two (no heads on them) a while back. Just need to decide if you want them upright or inverted. Inverted is easier, since you just need to put something inside that you can tap to 3/8"-16 thread. Like a nylon bushing. :D If you have it upright, you need to drill out the base and then tap it.

I'm sure you can find more than a couple of things in that box to adapt... I'd love to have some HD motor parts to convert/turn into handles. :D

I already have a $3k coin jar made from one of the cylinders the last time the motor went down. The mechanic didn't install the wrist pin retaining clip correctly and it tried to bore its way to freedom. It almost got there. Now I have a coin jar made from a piston and cylinder. I'll have to check for anything else that would be usable.

That can be done pretty easily. I did it with two (no heads on them) a while back. Just need to decide if you want them upright or inverted. Inverted is easier, since you just need to put something inside that you can tap to 3/8"-16 thread. Like a nylon bushing. :D If you have it upright, you need to drill out the base and then tap it.

I'll probably go upright and seat a bullet in it.

I already have a $3k coin jar made from one of the cylinders the last time the motor went down. The mechanic didn't install the wrist pin retaining clip correctly and it tried to bore its way to freedom. It almost got there. Now I have a coin jar made from a piston and cylinder. I'll have to check for anything else that would be usable.

If you're feeling generous, I'd love to use something from that box as a handle. Provided it's large enough to actually function as a handle. :D

I'll probably go upright and seat a bullet in it.

I scored a few already made off ebray... There's a pic in one of my earlier posts (this page) showing it (on the far left tap)... I have several more in a box that I'm thinking about converting (dummy/inert rounds)... I also have a few more 20mm rounds that I'll probably convert once I get my mini lathe. :D

I just went and looked; there is no shortage of large parts. The weight of the cams ( I have one from my motor and one from a cam swap in my Dad's bike) is what worries me. I would have to find a way to make it loose some weight so as to not stress the tap too much. Other than that there are the standard piston rods and such. If you want I'll shoot a couple pics to you in a PM after I finish my homework. Statistics is really kickin my butt right now.

I just went and looked; there is no shortage of large parts. The weight of the cams ( I have one from my motor and one from a cam swap in my Dad's bike) is what worries me. I would have to find a way to make it loose some weight so as to not stress the tap too much. Other than that there are the standard piston rods and such. If you want I'll shoot a couple pics to you in a PM after I finish my homework. Statistics is really kickin my butt right now.

Very interested, and waiting on those pics. I'm working on gathering funds for a mini lathe, so I could have a way to reduce the weight on some parts (depending on what they are). :D

I think a horse shoe would make a good tap handle, with some modifications of course.. The weight would be an issue, but it could be done... anyone ever used a golf ball for a tap handle?

GroosBrewz said:
I think a horse shoe would make a good tap handle, with some modifications of course.. The weight would be an issue, but it could be done... anyone ever used a golf ball for a tap handle?

You could always make a cast of the original shoe, resin or plaster then paint it.

I expect to have some cleaned-up pistons back soon (being media blasted to remove stuff on them). Once I get them back, I plan to work on a mounting method. I also need to see about drilling (and tapping) the piston rod I was sent. Since I finally got my drill press situated (and running at the right RPM) it shouldn't be too difficult. If I can't do it here, I'll have to see if a friend can put the hole into it at a machine shop he has access to (it's one you can join to do things).

I expect to have some cleaned-up pistons back soon (being media blasted to remove stuff on them). Once I get them back, I plan to work on a mounting method. I also need to see about drilling (and tapping) the piston rod I was sent. Since I finally got my drill press situated (and running at the right RPM) it shouldn't be too difficult. If I can't do it here, I'll have to see if a friend can put the hole into it at a machine shop he has access to (it's one you can join to do things).

Sounds like a fun project! Good luck and keep us updated

I would like to take all my military coins I got from all the jackass commanders and generals and epoxy them together somehow. That way, I'll remember why I started to drink in the first place. I got a nice big 2" coin from the CENCOM commander Tommy Franks that would top the whole thing off!

It is probably not that original, but hockey stick blades would be cool. And for all you paintball enthusiasts, you could use different marker barrels with barrel plugs for the top of the taps.

Maybe a ski pole handle or a really big syringe, 100-200 CC, filled with a wicked colour for the medical people.

A ex-friends old prosthetic foot. Don't ask how I have it...

Sheez. Talk about beer ingredients costing and arm and a leg...

And my answer is something that looks like a petrified piece of Dog doo. That way you can put it over a yellow fizzy commercial beer on a travelling weekend party's tap and can always tell which beer is the Sh*tty one. I keed I keed.

So being a bit of a nerd I'm thinking an old NES controller may one day turn into a tap handle...then I could add an SNES and wii controller too

Back